Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Default IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

..newspaper announced a couple of months ago that the AMC in Quail Springs would be getting a full-fledged, real IMAX theater in the coming months. Haven't heard on a "ground breaking," however. Anyone know any details on schedule?

BTW - This is a super site! Its great to have a place to talk about OKC!!

-SoonerDave

Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

I don't know the answer to your question but did want to say, "Welcome!".

This is a great forum with lots of bright people that really love OKC. It's certainly the place to come to get the scoop about what's going on around town and there are lots of good ideas expressed here.

Hope you'll continue to contribute.

last I heard September 06 was the completion date

Patrick Guest

Good question. Have to remember that The Oklahoman tends to go overboard on articles. AMC is adding several IMAX's to their theaters, but not 100% sure if Quail Springs is getting one. I'll email AMC.

5. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

At the time of that article, AMC also mentioned that OKC was getting IMAX along with several other cities in a press release on their website. But at the time they said it would be done by last November. Obviously it has been delayed or something.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Tue December 18, 2007

Quail Springs' new IMAX theater will open in 2009

By Trisha Evans
    Business Writer
    It's not your daddy's IMAX Theater.
    In 2009, local moviegoers will have the chance to see Hollywood blockbusters like "Transformers” and "I am Legend,” in IMAX and IMAX 3-D formats.

A 13-screen cinema and IMAX Auditorium has been planned for Quail Springs Village, a mixed-use development that will be built near Quail Springs Mall.

"This is our first unique product coming in, so we're really excited,” developer Larry Owsley said. "It's going to be the coolest thing that could happen to Oklahoma City.”

Owsley said the theater is an important part of Quail Springs Village, an Italian-theme lifestyle center. The multiphased development will include an open-air shopping center, upscale retail and housing, as well as restaurants and other entertainment destinations.

Dickinson Theatres Inc. plans to break ground on the theater spring 2008 for a spring 2009 opening.

"The 525-seat IMAX auditorium will place Oklahoma City's moviegoers into the center of the action and immerse them into images and sounds so intense, they will almost feel them,” said John Hartley, chief executive for Dickinson Theaters.

Jack Poessiger, a spokesman for Dickinson Theaters, said the Hollywood version of IMAX has become a "phenomenon” in the United States, Europe, Japan and Korea.

"People really search them out,” he said. "This past weekend ‘I am Legend' opened in the IMAX theaters ... and those box office figures went through the roof.”

He said customers are willing to pay about $2 more per movie because they're getting more, such as larger screen, 15,000 watts of digital sound, clarity and IMAX quality.

He said the IMAX screen is curved and extends beyond the viewers' peripheral vision and places viewers in the center of the action. The 3-D IMAX format is a whole new experience, he said.

"It's pretty spectacular. You literally get out of the way. It's not a gimmick anymore. Some of these films are shot in a way to really suck you into it, not like in the first 3-D films years ago, where they would just throw spears at you for effect,” he said. "Even in ‘Beowulf' ... the effect of 3-D literally sucked you into the story.

"It's really something you have to experience,” he said.

Poessiger said the theater also will show science and adventure films during earlier operating hours.

The total cost of the complex has not been determined, Poessiger said.

Dickinson Theatres owns the rights to show all IMAX science and Hollywood film products in the Oklahoma City area.

"This is our first unique product coming in, so we're really excited,” developer Larry Owsley said. "It's going to be the coolest thing that could happen to Oklahoma City.”
    This developer must not have much vision. IMAX for OKC being the coolest thing that could possibly happen to OKC?? We already have things more exciting going on than an IMAX. I wish our developers would dream a little more of what could be although this should hopefully be a good development.

8. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Dickinson Theatres owns the rights to show all IMAX science and Hollywood film products in the Oklahoma City area.
    That's interesting. Then why was AMC planning to put one in at Quail?

Also interesting that Dickinson will go head to head with the most popular theatre in town.

That center could be interesting. I'm surprised as well that it's Dickinson doing the theater and IMAX, but sounds like a good anchor for the new center. This is the first I've heard of it being "Italian-themed" (maybe I just missed it) but that sounds pretty cool as well. We'll see.

AMC announced a few years ago that they were adding IMAX screens to several existing cinemas, and Oklhoma City Quail Springs was one of those listed. They did in fact effect the conversion in several of the cities (e.g, Kansas City, Detroit); however the plans for Oklahoma City and Omaha were dropped. With the announcement of the new Dickinson 13-screen cinema in The Village at Quail Springs, includeing a 3-D IMAX theater, I don't think we'll be seeing IMAX at AMC here.

11. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

This came out on the 7th, where AMC & IMAX signed a new 100-screen deal at most of their top venues. Oklahoma City is not included.

AMC Theatres

12. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

however the plans for Oklahoma City and Omaha were dropped. With the announcement of the new Dickinson 13-screen cinema in The Village at Quail Springs, includeing a 3-D IMAX theater, I don't think we'll be seeing IMAX at AMC here.
    That makes sense.. Quail Springs AMC Theater is about three minutes from the new proposed site.

I'm so excited about this.. I live just a few miles away. It will be nice to see 3D movies.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

13. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Well, Harkins is now equipped for 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Well, Harkins is now equipped for 3D.

Are there competing 3D systems? Are movies in 3D period or in some sort of proprietary IMAX 3D? Excuse my ignorance.

15. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

can we do 2 theaters that close together?

16. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

That's exactly what I was thinking.. sounds strange.. literally, walking distance from one another.. across a parking lot.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

17. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Italian-themed...in the middle of an Oklahoma wheat field. Nice. Welcome to DisneyLand.

Where exactly is Quail Springs Village going to be located? North of the mall?

19. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Are there competing 3D systems? Are movies in 3D period or in some sort of proprietary IMAX 3D? Excuse my ignorance.
    I don't think there's any difference. other than the size of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Where exactly is Quail Springs Village going to be located? North of the mall?
    In the field north of the mall.

3D movies at Harkins Theatres are shown on a digital projector using the RealD system. I don't know how IMAX differs from that...

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    can we do 2 theaters that close together?
    It does seem to fly in the face of common sense, and I'm sure AMC Quail Springs will suffer a hefty decline at the box office. However, we need look no further than Tulsa to see a similar situation which has survived through the years. In Tulsa AMC Southroads 20 and Hollywood Palace 12 are right across the street from each other and compete for first run films. They have both thrived, and one result has been an increase in independent (or "art") films, particularly at Southroads, since there is not enough Hollywood product to feed them both. (In any case I think I will continue to prefer Harkins Bricktown in our reviving downtown.)
    Last edited by redland; 12-19-2007 at 05:00 AM. Reason: additional comment

There was also the old General Cinema on the west side of Quail Springs Mall and the AMC which was across the street from the mall on the east side. That goes back a few years.

23. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

Good point. Those two co-existed back when theatres were smaller.

There was also the old General Cinema on the west side of Quail Springs Mall and the AMC which was across the street from the mall on the east side. That goes back a few years.
    Yeah, the old AMC is now some Antique Mall.

25. Default Re: IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

No the old General Cinema is the Antique Mall. The AMC sat where PF Changs and Bravo! now are.

Thread Information