Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 383940414243
Results 1,051 to 1,053 of 1053

Thread: Tower Theatre

Default Re: Tower Theatre

I think there used to be some laws in some states to prevent some of the integration and (possible) conflict of interest we see to day. But like pretty much all antitrust statutes, they've been gutted, ignored, or not enforced for decades to the point where I am sure most don't understand why they existed in the first place, if they've even heard of them.

I was under the impression that LN owns some venues, too, but I could be wrong about that. It may just all be exclusive rights deals. But if they do own some, I doubt the fees are any better at those venues. lol

I just came from watching Molchat Doma live at the Tower. Maybe they have a more sizeable fan base than I realized, but I really had a hard time imagining Oklahoma City coming out in full force to support Belarusian post-punk. Man was I surprised. The house was near capacity and you could tell that most the crowd were not there for mere curiosity. Fantastic mix of ages and demographics. I usually have to travel outside of OKC to see the shows I want to see, so to say this was encouraging is an understatement. And they put on a monster of a show.

From my experience going to a lot of shows across a wide range of genres, OKC is very good about supporting heavier genres (metal, punk, noise rock, hardcore) and also red dirt/alt-country. Everything else is a huge crapshoot in terms of attendance. Also, there are some extremely good local bands that struggle mightily to get consistently good turnout at their shows, but then again I’m pretty sure that‘s not an OKC-specific thing.

Thread Information