Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

After reading the article, how much of the original theater space will be left intact? I'd hate for them to tear everything out a la The Center Theater. I hope they leave the lobby and original auditorium in tact.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm glad that Dillon has a business of his own that he can move into this building as well. That will ensure some degree of success I think..
    Both sides of the Dillon family have done pretty well, they have built on the success their fathers had MG Novelty/Dillon Importing. I grew up with them and went all through school with them, they are all great guys with a keen business sense.

I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything..

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    After reading the article, how much of the original theater space will be left intact? I'd hate for them to tear everything out a la The Center Theater. I hope they leave the lobby and original auditorium in tact.
    The one in Tulsa? It still functions and has film screenings all the time. They preserved as much of the historic integrity as they could.

I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything.
    Party Galaxy is the new name of MG Novelty, for a long time MG Novelty was strictly a wholesale organization. At one time a family member had The Emporium at Shepherd Mall as a retail outlet. The popcorn stand outside the store was owned by another relative.

PartyGalaxy.com - Company Information

I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything..

The one in Tulsa? It still functions and has film screenings all the time. They preserved as much of the historic integrity as they could.
    No, the one where the current OKC museum of art is. I don't think they preserved as much as they could. When driving by during the renovation, the only think they preserved were the side walls and the back wall. The stair case is the same...yawn. I just hate to see these movie palaces destroyed.

6. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Well... they renamed MG Novelty Party Galaxy a few years ago...

And I believe you are thinking of Circle Cinema in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    No, the one where the current OKC museum of art is. I don't think they preserved as much as they could. When driving by during the renovation, the only think they preserved were the side walls and the back wall. The stair case is the same...yawn. I just hate to see these movie palaces destroyed.
    I have been to numerous movies at the Centre Theater (not Center Theater). It was very nice for it's time but I never considered it be in the same category with the Criterion, Harbor, or State theaters. I don't disagree, however, with your suggestion that it would have been nice to have more of it saved. I think the oportunity to have the Museum move back to downtown was must too much to pass up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centre Theater.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	442  

8. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Drove by it the other night. Beautiful. Wonderful job.

Does anyone know why it hasn't been lit at night? Tonight and the past few times I've driven by, its been out.

11. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

I think I saw you taking that pic last night...

12. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

It's been a long time. To see it like that again ---- that's just beautiful!

Gorgeous!

Credit to the owners for sticking with this project and doing it the right way -- at considerable expense.

Just think if they would have demolished it ala Sandridge. I imagine it'd be replaced with a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I think I saw you taking that pic last night...

LOL oh really?

16. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    LOL oh really?
    I happened to be driving by and saw some dude taking a pic of the sign at that EXACT angle...hmmmm.

The sign looks great at night IMO.

A few questions: anybody got any updates to share on this project? and as far as the concept of the new Tower Theatre, is it gonna be in any way similar to the Circle Theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    The sign looks great at night IMO.

A few questions: anybody got any updates to share on this project? and as far as the concept of the new Tower Theatre, is it gonna be in any way similar to the Circle Theatre?
    What does your reference to the Circle Theater mean? Can you explain? Are you talking about the Circle Theater that was on South Robinson and later became the Capitol or Capri Theater before it was torn down in 1982?

I think he means the Circle Theater in Tulsa's Kendall-Whittier district. I think it will be similar, but different. This will be a very complete project..street retail that will be significant, parking across the street, there may still be a pedestrian crossing if the city will ever agree to it..the theater itself will be more of an event-oriented space. It will do film screenings much like the Circle Theater in Tulsa, but it will host community events, lots of live music, and more..as well.

I think he means the Circle Theater in Tulsa's Kendall-Whittier district. I think it will be similar, but different. This will be a very complete project..street retail that will be significant, parking across the street, there may still be a pedestrian crossing if the city will ever agree to it..the theater itself will be more of an event-oriented space. It will do film screenings much like the Circle Theater in Tulsa, but it will host community events, lots of live music, and more..as well.
    You're probably right then. When he just said Circle Theater that's not very clear since there was a Circle Theater here and there were probably quite a few with similar names around the country.

I've never been to the Circle Theater, I just know of it because they renovated it a few years ago when I first started tracking urban development in Oklahoma..

22. Default Re: Tower Theater to be renovated

I believe it's actually known now as Circle Cinema.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

They can put a plaza where "L Sto" used to be.

What is the latest with the Tower Theater?

On nights when it is lit up it looks amazing driving down 23rd. Then you get up close and realize it is still a ghost town of a strip. All the store fronts are empty and nothing seems to be developing. It is difficult to believe that no new businesses want to locate in this area.

Is Marty Dillon still moving the family party store into the space if he ever gets it renovated?

Thread Information