Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1053

Thread: Tower Theatre

Default Re: Tower Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    The BOK set up for their show is lower bowl only and the concert is in 4 days and has maybe sold 1/3 of the tickets.
    The concert is in 4 days and 1 year - it's in 2020, not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    The concert is in 4 days and 1 year - it's in 2020, not this year.
    Talk about advance booking! the OKC show did sell out pretty quickly.

Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    You definitely did... Even if people below you stand up you can still see the performer on the stage seated.

If you are dead center of row FF... This will be your view for the evening.

Attachment 15436

Attachment 15437
    Had row EE, 9/10, first row on the second tier, center section, leftmost two seats, and yeah, they were great. Bar rails were at shoulder height when seated so we you can see easily over them (didn't realize they were that low since that's our first seated show there). Complete 180 from pretty much every show we've been to there - seated, we might've been the youngest there, quiet/acoustic, but still a really great show. About 4 songs in, they said "We had a list of songs, we've gone completely off that" and everybody cheered, also got some good stories about dreams, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, someone trying to order all-you-can-eat at a drive-through window....

4. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    About 4 songs in, they said "We had a list of songs, we've gone completely off that" and everybody cheered, also got some good stories about dreams, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, someone trying to order all-you-can-eat at a drive-through window....
    Was this the Flatlanders show? I bet that was an amazing set!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Was this the Flatlanders show? I bet that was an amazing set!
    Yes, and yes. Been listening to them for decades, never thought I'd see them live before we all died, very glad we went (we were apparently their first stop on this tour).

The Dollop podcast is coming to Tower on April 5th, which should be fun. I saw Gareth Reynolds do his stand-up set while I was in Denver back in July and he was absolutely hilarious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes, and yes. Been listening to them for decades, never thought I'd see them live before we all died, very glad we went (we were apparently their first stop on this tour).
    Great concert, saw Joe Ely and his band perform at VZD’s many years ago, his hair was still black then. During a break, asked him I’d he would do ‘Boxcars’, as I was working on the railroad, and had worked in Amarillo. He said a grandparent had worked the rails, and he played ‘Boxcars’ after the break. Great show it was.

FYI, there are some great local bands playing at the Tower for free tomorrow evening. Stepmom and Audio Book Club, in particular, are two of the best OKC bands going right now IMO.

Another great local show at Tower tomorrow night. Husbands is an indie pop/rock band that just put out a fantastic new album earlier this week, and two other great local bands are opening, Lust (electropop) and LCG & The X (garage rock).

10. Default Re: Tower Theatre

Has the partnership between The Granada in Lower Greenville and The Tower been terminated?

Been seeing a lot of acts passing through The Granada lately that I would like to see but they don't get booked here now.

^

Was told last week that nothing has changed with the Granada.

Tower is opening up again for a Sep 11 show, 20% capacity (204 people).

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City has the access to two arenas, one inside the Cox Convention Center and the other just across the street (south).

Cox Convention Center:
    Arena - 13,846 permanent seats for ice hockey, 14,005 basketball.
    100,000 sq.,ft., exhibition space
    A 25,000 sq. ft. ballroom
    21 meeting rooms

New Oklahoma City Convention Center & Chesapeake Energy Arena:
    Arena - 15,152 ice hockey,18,203 basketball
    200,000 square feet of exhibit space
    30,000 sq.,ft., ballroom
    45,000 sq.,ft., of flexible meeting room space

A few more hotels in the downtown core will allow Oklahoma City invaluable space to simultaneously bid on larger conventions & trade shows throughout the year.

This is the edge OKC will have on many of its peer & competing cities; this alone will take Tulsa out of the mix when both cities are competing for the same conventions.

Didn't mean to get off topic; however, that's why you will never get rid of the Cox Convention Center & Arena because as an overflow venue; this puts OKC in contention to bid on more than one large meeting at a time.

14. Default Re: Tower Theatre

IF the new convention center and hotel were complete, OKC could surely have hosted the 2020 RNC. With the two cc's, Fair "arena", Lloyd Noble Center, and with more hotels downtown - could OKC also host the NBA Allstar week?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It's not important to the current theatre, but i happened to be watching the latest installment of the History Channel show called "The Booze, Bets, and Sex that Built America. They have a story line about the Hollywood Reporter founder, William Wilkerson, who also helped with the early development of Las Vegas as a gambling mecca. The interesting thing that caught my eye was a picture on his office wall. It was a picture of the marquis of the Tower Theatre.

I really wish one of Tower, Jones or BCMH would pick up Cigarettes After Sex. They have open dates coming and going that could easily route through OKC. If anyone knows the promoters, hit them up.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I really wish one of Tower, Jones or BCMH would pick up Cigarettes After Sex. They have open dates coming and going that could easily route through OKC. If anyone knows the promoters, hit them up.
    they are playing the Granada Theater in Dallas, which as far as I know, still holds a financial stake in Tower. I can guarantee those folks there know about the tour and put in an effort to snag em. Sometimes they put in bids and the bands just pass on the opportunity. Sometimes cities like ours get added late because the bands finally conclude the bid is worth it. I agree it would be nice for them to stop here though

Quote Originally Posted by 3nglnd View Post
    they are playing the Granada Theater in Dallas, which as far as I know, still holds a financial stake in Tower. I can guarantee those folks there know about the tour and put in an effort to snag em. Sometimes they put in bids and the bands just pass on the opportunity. Sometimes cities like ours get added late because the bands finally conclude the bid is worth it. I agree it would be nice for them to stop here though
    after dallas they are going to Atlanta which may have something to with it?

I wish the Tower Theater could keep their neon working, for whatever reason there's always a letter or two out at any given time.

At this point it may as well be an OKC tradition that every neon sign or LED lighting will never be properly working.

I inherited two relatively simple neon signs at the Gazette at NW 36th & Shartel.

I paid to have them fixed no less than five times within two years, and replacing them was very expensive.

I'm no longer involved there and the other day I noticed one of them is completely out.

Those signs can be an expensive PITA.

Blog Entries

Personally I would only do "fake" neon signs that are actually LED but look neon going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Personally I would only do "fake" neon signs that are actually LED but look neon going forward.
    That's what is usually done with new signs.

Blog Entries

should we call LEON instead of NEON?

They got called out for their merch practices over the weekend https://twitter.com/usaquarium/statu...oYPwQx5P7PDzvA

Thread Information