Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Default Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Don't know how many of you caught the JR last week. Taco Del Mar is expanding into Oklahoma. 16 stores are planned for the OKC Metro. You can go to their website at www.tacodelmar.com

Jack Guest

Default Re: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

All we need. Another fast food mexican place, to add the Taco Bell's, Bueno's, Cabanas, etc.

Jack Guest

Looks pretty pricey to me:

It's just more in line with Taca Cabana than Taco Bell.

5. Default Re: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Taco Del Mar is more Taqueria (sp) style of restaurant vs. Americanized Taco Bell. For example, dont expect a fried shell with a taco - nope, its true mexican with a corn (or flour) soft tortilla with the fixins on top.

You all will love it.

Plus, they tend to be much more healthy - with Fish tacos, Shrimp tacos, and respective burritos; as well as chicken, beef (shredded and ground I believe), and pork and veg/vegan options to chose from. The tortillas are steamed right as you order then they place everything on top! - just like Taqueria!

As for the price, once again - this aint Taco Bell! The portion sizes are astronomical! For example, dont expect to eat a burrito during one sitting for lunch! the Jumbo is more than filling, is healthy, and is very very tasty!

In fact, Taco Del Mar is our preferred mexican fast food place out here! (Seattle) Enjoy OKC!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It adds another dining option, which is never a bad thing.

...also, it will tide some people over until Chipotle comes into our market.

Oklahoma finally gets fish tacos. This is great news. I've been waiting for a Baja Fresh but this will do.

Patrick Guest

Pablano Grill has had fish tacos for sometime now.

Yeah there is quite a bit of places with fish tacos around here.

Patrick Guest

I had my first fish taco in Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii, last summer. I must say....fish tacos are da bomb!

Hmm.. I always thought fish tacos were the punch line to a joke...
    I guess I learn something new everyday.

I knew I was going to get replies about Oklahoma not having fish tacos. What I meant was Baja-style fish tacos with soft corn tortillas.

I know that Pearls, Bahama Breeze, Saturn Grill, Poblano Grill, Taco San Pedro and many other restaurants have fish tacos. In my opinion, Taco San Pedro and the other authentic-style taqerias in South OKC are the only places that even come close to a real fish taco.

Now, I can order Fish Tacos in English at a drive-thru and I am excited about that.

13. Default Re: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BFizzy

Now, I can order Fish Tacos in English at a drive-thru and I am excited about that.
    order it in english!? at a drive thru?

Has anyone seen any of their stores pop up yet? It's been 2 years.

According to their website, they have a MWC location:

Midwest City
    29th & Douglas
    9015 SE 29th Street
    Midwest City, OK 73130
    (405)610-7722

Their website lists one location open at 29th and Douglas in Midwest City.

the location at sw 119th & western has come and gone. it wasn't all that popular... nor was it that great, imo.

the smoke shack barbecue that replaced it is pretty good, though! -M

The one at SE 29th & Doulgas is still there. They had one on Air Depot for awhile, but it closed. I was told a subway franchisee (sp?) owns them (well one I guess).

Its not bad. I don't think I would tell you to make a special trip just to eat there , but if you are ever out this way its not bad. Its right off I-40.

Qdoba opening up a 1/2 mile down the street probably didn't help.

19. Default Re: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    All we need. Another fast food mexican place, to add the Taco Bell's, Bueno's, Cabanas, etc.
    No need to pi$$ in the punchbowl, but then again, it looks like you've been banned!

They had one in MWC on Air Depot between 15th and 29th last year.. It closed down, then they opened the one on 29th and Douglas. I've ate there a couple of times and i honestly don't think it's that great... For sure nothing to get excited about or drive across the city to get it.

21. Default Re: Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

Sorry to bring this thread up again. Noticed a month or so ago where Taco Del Mar on 29th closed. Went by there a couple of weeks ago and the sign said they were remodeling. Then went by there a couple of days ago and nothing was on the sign. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going on. As for the food there, nothing great, but I found it to be a nice alternative to Taco Bell.

i use to love them in the bay area.. but on its web site it doesnt show a oklahoma location, it just says coming soon?

My MWC friend said it was fairly hideous.

then it must be franchised out to someone in okc, because theywhere really good in the bay area, but bay area knows the mexican food compared to okc, everything here is tex-mex mixed with santa fe style, okc is the only place where some of the restaurants actually use sweet peas as a filler for tamales.. at taco del mar the pork mole tacos are good...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    everything here is tex-mex mixed with santa fe style...

No offense, but there are no "Santa Fe-style" places anywhere in OKC. I know. I've looked. Northern New Mexico cuisine is my personal favorite, but with the passing of the Border Crossing, it's not to be found around here.

Cafe Ole in Tulsa is an OK version, but not great.

We also don't have very good Tex-Mex, though I agree our Mexi is inspired by Tex-Mex.

Personally, I love San Diego-style tacos and burritos. I used to eat them whenever I visited there and found them very good. In fact, I love Cali-Mex in general.

Cali-Mex, however, is no more "authentic" than Tex-Mex. It is regional to mostly northern Mexico and Baja. Mexico is a large country with many numerous regional cuisines, many that Americans would not recognize.

I personally didn't eat at Taco Del Mar and cannot vouch for its authenticity or quality. However, the MWC friend who told me it sucked is MEXICAN and grew up in San Antonio.

Trust me, I know Mexican cuisine -- and its American nuances and variations.

Thread Information