Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for for Mayor?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mick Cornett

30 73.17%
  • Joe Nelson

1 2.44%
  • Bob Waldrop

8 19.51%
  • Won't vote

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayor race March 7th

Patrick Guest

Default Mayor race March 7th

Just a reminder. Mick needs your vote, although I'm sure he'll win by a landslide.

Who will you be voting for? Vote in the poll above.

Three file to run for Mayor

(January 31, 2006) – Incumbent Mick Cornett and two challengers, Joe Nelson and Bob Waldrop, have filed to run for Mayor in the Tuesday, March 7 mayoral primary.
    If one candidate does not win a simple majority in the primary, a runoff is required and City voters will return to the polls on April 4 for the general election.
    The Mayor and City Council members serve four-year terms. The next scheduled City Council elections will be in the spring of 2007 for Wards 2, 5, 6, 8 and 2009 for Wards 1, 3, 4 and 7.
    The City of Oklahoma City operates according to the Council/Manager form of government as called for in the City Charter. With this form of government, the Mayor has an equal vote with City Council members. A City Manager appointed by the Council oversees the day-to-day operations of the City.

Default Re: Mayor race March 7th

I'm surprised I've seen no ads yet or any signs. I even talked with Mick the other day and he is still in the fundraising stages and hasn't implemented his task force yet. Am I missing something? The election is in 3 weeks!

Patrick Guest

I don't think it will even be a race. Why waste the money on advertising?

true, with the challengers, whom I never heard of by the way, I don't think it will be much of a race although I could be proven wrong

Patrick Guest

Hopefully people won't take it for granted and not go out and vote.

Does anyone know anything about Joe Nelson or Bob Waldrop?

Or more importantly who they even are?

Bob has some interesting environmental ideas.

Jack Guest

If Bob wins, he needs to hire Santa Claus as city manager.

I don't think environmental and transportation issues need to be our top concern as a city.

swake Guest

I think you are confused, Tulsa has Santa running for mayor, Paul Tay,

http://pimpthistownvotepaultay.blogspot.com/

Man, you have boring elections down there...

Jack Guest

Sweet. Maybe for once, we could join together as for real sister cities. Feel the love?

Jack Guest

swake, we just don't have all of the controversy here. Our mayors actually make some progress. I'll admit that Tulsa government is much more entertaining to watch, especially when they're seeking to recall councillors.

14. Default Re: Mayor race March 7th

Just an interesting fact, I believe Bob Waldrop wrote this prayer about I-40, http://www.justpeace.org/i40.htm

15. Default Re: Mayor race March 7th

wow, he can't even spell "stoopid"
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I don't think environmental and transportation issues need to be our top concern as a city.
    -Jack

Actually Transportation is a serious issue that needs to be address on the city level. Mick even has it at the top of his list if he is re-elected

Oki_Man5 Guest

Maybe someone in the know could clue me in as to why one should vote for Cornett other than that he is the incumbent:

What has he done that anyone else might not do?

What does he stand for that you agree with that the other two stand against?

18. Default Re: Mayor race March 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Oki_Man5
    Maybe someone in the know could clue me in as to why one should vote for Cornett other than that he is the incumbent:

What has he done that anyone else might not do?

What does he stand for that you agree with that the other two stand against?
    Among other things, he listens to people unlike his predecessor. Plus... Can you say NBA?

Oki_Man5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Among other things, he listens to people unlike his predecessor. Plus... Can you say NBA?
    So does this mean that you are positive that the only way the Hornets came to the city is that Cornett was mayor? Not much of a sports fan here, so truth is I am just assuming the NBA equates to the Hornets.

If Humphries had run for re-election for mayor instead of vying to be a U.S. Senator, would your support have been in his corner?

20. Default Re: Mayor race March 7th

I don't know that the only way that NBA could end up here is because he was mayor, but he has handled/ is handling the situation with grace and dignity... at least from the little that I have read! I'll definitely have to do some 'political' reading before I vote, though... I don't know enough about the candidates, yet!

I won't try to sway your opinion one way or the other, you can do the research for yourself, that's part of our job as voters.

As far as the NBA and Hornets, I don't see it being near as realistic or possible should the other candidates for mayor had won the office. They don't appear to have the passion and foresight that Mick did when the opportunity arose. He saw the opportunity before the event happened and started packaging a deal, he was pro-active rather than re-active. He layed the groundwork about a year before when he went to NYC to meet with Stern. He put us on the map well in advance so that we would be taken seriously when the opportunity arose. That's just my two cents, hopefully they are worth more than Kelly Ogle's.. (joke)

Oki_Man5 Guest

Thanks, Metro, for the about not trying to sway comment.

One thing about elections is that what is a make or break deal for a candidate to one person or group of people (NBA just as a for instance) may not amount to a hill of beans of importance to another group.

Like if one of the candidates said he would push for drawing in the borders of OKC to a core district in the downtown area (yeah! Deannex everything away from the downtown area and let the outlying cities and towns take the area in.), that candidate would get my wholehearted support.

Anyone out there got a make-or-break proposition to get your support?

Note: The use of he or she is intended to be gender neutral.

Patrick Guest

The fact that Cornett was a former sports caster meant that he had the inside connections needed to get this completed.

What else has Mick done? He actually listens to the citizens. The citizen surveys were one of the best ideas he ever came up with. He also reads comments on this site continuosly. I like the fact that he's always open to opinions and suggestions.

Plus, he's had some oversight over MAPS for Kids. It seems to be progressing nicely.

Now I ask you, what have the other guys done that's comparable to what Mick has done?

Oki_Man5 Guest

I know nothing about the other guys, and I know very little about Cornett.

Since you mentioned the MAPS for Kids, I wonder what his inputs were when the council was considering enacting the use tax based on the MAPS for Kids sales tax; I seem to remember someone during the discussions of where to put the money (like General Fund or in the MAPS for Kids account) made the statement somewhat like that the use tax was a separate issue, and it was not governed by the vote, so they elected to enact the use tax but to not give it to the kids.

I was deliberately a bit vague above because I am not sure if it went into the General Fund or where, but I am near positive that it was not put into the MAPS for Kids account---I welcome correction if I am in error.

By the way, since the tax base for the money to be generated was by the vote's enacting the MAPS for Kids sales tax, I felt the Use Tax money should have gone into the MAPS for Kids account.

Jack Guest

Use taxes don't have to go back into the plan from which they originate. I think that's where some were a little confused on the way use tax money was used to build Bass Pro Shop. Use taxes can be used on whatever the council decides.

Thread Information