Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good Chinese food????

Default good Chinese food????

I'm trying to find a good Chinese food place. Seems like most of them have gone downhill lately. I don't want PF Changs or Pei Wei good but I want a local place that uses good fresh ingredients instead of who knows what. I noticed alot of restaurants are switching to pork fried rice too. I've tried Diamond Express, Speedy Wok, China House and China Court lately and the one downtown by the Memorial I think it's a China House too. Any local owned shops with good cuts of meat? Not mystery meat?

Default Re: good Chinese food????

Dot Wo and Lido are pretty good, from what I remember.

kahloist Guest

Grand House is the best Chinese in Oklahoma City. It's just north of NW 23rd St. on Classen. TRY IT!

kahloist Guest

Grand House on NW 23rd and Classen.. just north of a lil bit

I ate at Grand House last week, you can see my review just a few posts down. I had the Dim Sum though, are you referring to their true Chinese food? I'm talking about like General Tso Chicken and fried rice or sweet and sour chicken and fried rice type Chinese. Either way let me know. I'm not big into Dim Sum or Pho

I particularly like Kit's. It is located on S. Eastern and N.E. 12th Street in Moore (SE corner). I love their chicken Lo-mein, sesame chicken, fry rice, spring rolls and beef with brocoli. They always have fresh food. If you go during buffet hours and there are running low on something you want, they will prepare it fresh.

I'm very pleased with China Chef, in the Underground. It's been there for years and the lunch buffet is like $4.50 or $5.00. They use quality ingredients and not mystery meat, which is a huge plus in my book.

lemongrass on sw 119th & western is really good... some of the best springrolls i've had! -M

9. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Quote Originally Posted by kahloist View Post
    Grand House is the best Chinese in Oklahoma City. It's just north of NW 23rd St. on Classen. TRY IT!
    Let me tell you about Grand House, (personal/business situation regarding which, I would love comments or suggestions.) About 3 yrs ago, we did a wedding, taking the wedding party from the Catholic Church just down Classen to the Grand House for their reception using our Horse and Carriage. After we arrived, we were asked to extend our committment another 2 hrs, just to sit in front of the Grand House for effect and to allow those who wish to use the carriage as a backdrop (or rides) for photos. The bride also mentioned that a friend of hers is a photographer who works for the family tv channel (that produces stories such as "We're having a baby and A wedding story.) She said that her friend may not make it and if she does, their story may never be chosen to be on the wedding show, but just in case we saw camers rolling, that was what was going on. Sure enough, someone, several someone's showed up with cameras and big ideas on how we should be posed, etc. We coorporated as we had been informed that it was for a "non-commercial" purpose if it was going to be used at all. Our time was up on our job, we said goodbye ad never heard from them again. It wasn't long before we saw our likeness on several tv channels as a prop for the Grand House commercials. All in all, we personally witnessed about 20 showings, but had multiple calls from friends and family regarding this issue and asking if we were getting royalities each time it played. I attempted to get information from the channels and from the Grand House, no cooperation whatsoever...it's amazing how someone can lose their ability to understand and/or speak English when it's convenient. To date, everyonce in a while, they will begin another series, and again, there we are. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can either stop it or at least reap some benefits on a commercial endeavor using our likeness...oh, by the way, on our contract, it nowhere gives permission to do so. Thank you for any help, suggestions that you may have to offer. About their food? I wouldn't eat there just on principle, if for no other reason.
    Too old NOT to care

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I ate at Grand House last week, you can see my review just a few posts down. I had the Dim Sum though, are you referring to their true Chinese food? I'm talking about like General Tso Chicken and fried rice or sweet and sour chicken and fried rice type Chinese. Either way let me know. I'm not big into Dim Sum or Pho
    I dunno, metro, I think they are all the same, everywhere, in the US. I used to be big into General's during my college days, and my beau always orders it and I try some, and honestly I don't think there is any difference. I would suggest Dot Wo in Edmond, if anything, they will have those items and they are the best quality Chinese I've had since I moved down here, but this answer to your specific question is based on assumption alone because I didn't have the General's.

Don't like pho? Awwww that stuff is the BEST! Oh well to each their own...Do you like Thai?

11. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaMa View Post
    Let me tell you about Grand House, (personal/business situation regarding which, I would love comments or suggestions.) About 3 yrs ago, we did a wedding, taking the wedding party from the Catholic Church just down Classen to the Grand House for their reception using our Horse and Carriage. After we arrived, we were asked to extend our committment another 2 hrs, just to sit in front of the Grand House for effect and to allow those who wish to use the carriage as a backdrop (or rides) for photos. The bride also mentioned that a friend of hers is a photographer who works for the family tv channel (that produces stories such as "We're having a baby and A wedding story.) She said that her friend may not make it and if she does, their story may never be chosen to be on the wedding show, but just in case we saw camers rolling, that was what was going on. Sure enough, someone, several someone's showed up with cameras and big ideas on how we should be posed, etc. We coorporated as we had been informed that it was for a "non-commercial" purpose if it was going to be used at all. Our time was up on our job, we said goodbye ad never heard from them again. It wasn't long before we saw our likeness on several tv channels as a prop for the Grand House commercials. All in all, we personally witnessed about 20 showings, but had multiple calls from friends and family regarding this issue and asking if we were getting royalities each time it played. I attempted to get information from the channels and from the Grand House, no cooperation whatsoever...it's amazing how someone can lose their ability to understand and/or speak English when it's convenient. To date, everyonce in a while, they will begin another series, and again, there we are. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can either stop it or at least reap some benefits on a commercial endeavor using our likeness...oh, by the way, on our contract, it nowhere gives permission to do so. Thank you for any help, suggestions that you may have to offer. About their food? I wouldn't eat there just on principle, if for no other reason.
    Well, does anyone have any suggestions? What they did just isn't fair.
    Too old NOT to care

12. Default Re: good Chinese food????

So, if I understand you - you're mad because 3-years ago photos were taken of your carriage outside the Grand House since then those photos are being used in their commercials?

First, why are you not over this 3 years later? Or, why didn't you do something then. Timing plays as big of an importance in many civil cases as anything else.

As for input - I guess you can get a lawyer like everyone else does. He'll charge you hundreds of dollars and in the end you'll get nothing.

You're gonna have to prove more than "That's not fair! I didn't give permission!" etc.

Were you portrayed in a negative light? Was your reputation damaged? Did you suffer a provable financial lose? Can you prove the Grand House made money BECAUSE your carriage was in their ad?

I would think the most you could collect is a small fee for the time you were parked outside the restaurant or maybe some type of injunction to keep the commercial from playing any longer.

Of course if I was them, I'd remind the judge you waited 3-years to take any action (other than phone calls you claim to have made) and either tell you to pound sand or agree not to run the now very old commercials.

You should have hit them with a cease and desist letter the day after you saw the first ad.

Personally, I would have tried to turn lemons into lemonade and ask for a professional tradeout. They can use your images if you can give them a nice poster type ad to place on an easel in their private room. Also provide them with brochures and offer them a small finders fee if they recommend a party to you and they rent your services. Why burn a bridge when you can build one?

13. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    So, if I understand you - you're mad because 3-years ago photos were taken of your carriage outside the Grand House since then those photos are being used in their commercials?

First, why are you not over this 3 years later? Or, why didn't you do something then. Timing plays as big of an importance in many civil cases as anything else.

As for input - I guess you can get a lawyer like everyone else does. He'll charge you hundreds of dollars and in the end you'll get nothing.

You're gonna have to prove more than "That's not fair! I didn't give permission!" etc.

Were you portrayed in a negative light? Was your reputation damaged? Did you suffer a provable financial lose? Can you prove the Grand House made money BECAUSE your carriage was in their ad?

I would think the most you could collect is a small fee for the time you were parked outside the restaurant or maybe some type of injunction to keep the commercial from playing any longer.

Of course if I was them, I'd remind the judge you waited 3-years to take any action (other than phone calls you claim to have made) and either tell you to pound sand or agree not to run the now very old commercials.

You should have hit them with a cease and desist letter the day after you saw the first ad.

Personally, I would have tried to turn lemons into lemonade and ask for a professional tradeout. They can use your images if you can give them a nice poster type ad to place on an easel in their private room. Also provide them with brochures and offer them a small finders fee if they recommend a party to you and they rent your services. Why burn a bridge when you can build one?
    Everything that you have said is true, I just didn't think that it would go on and on and on...and, you tell me, if it wasn't helping their business, would they keep running the ads? I could tell after reading 10 words of your reply that you were not responding to help, just to tell me that I should suck up and shut up...thanks for everything.
    Too old NOT to care

14. Default Re: good Chinese food????

If everything I said was true - then how does it not help? You didn't say you wanted someone to hold you hand, pat you and the head and say it will all be okay.

I gave several suggestions - lawyer, cease and desist, make them a tradeout officer. Exactly what "help" were you looking for?

you tell me, if it wasn't helping their business, would they keep running the ads?
    They are a small business. I would imagine they are still running the ad because they like it and a new ad costs time and money.

Besides, there are compaines that run ads all the way up to their going out of business. Guess those ads weren't really helping them were they?

Yes, I do think you should suck it up. I never said to shut up - I said either let it go or try and turn it into a positive.

Now, remove your head far enough out of your rectum so that your ears can hear what I'm really saying. (Ahhhh, I knew those quotes from my dad would come in handy one day).

Grand House seems to have gone downhill. The last two times I ate there it was obvious they were cutting costs by using inferior quality chicken. I used to frequent the hell out of that place but no longer.

What the asian district really needs are a couple restaurants that really stand out. Most everything is pretty average or below. If I had to choose the best I would say Lido and Mr. Pho, although admittedly I haven't been to every restaurant in the district. As for Thai, which is near and dear to my heart, Sala Thai isn't as good as it used to be and the Thai Houses suck. Surprisingly, Moon Thai on NW 23rd across from the Walmart neighborhood market is pretty solid if you order off the menu. I have been taking out from there a lot lately and the ingredients and flavor are really high quality. If you like chicken teriyaki it's like the only place around here I've seen it.

16. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Happy House Chinese is all right...huge portions, and they deliver in a small area around downtown. Excellent egg drop soup. Good for colds. It's not exactly "authentic" but it's still pretty tasty!
    Still corrupting young minds

I had Tai Pei last week, it's around 48th and MacArthur and it was awesome. High quality ingredients, the best fried rice I've seen in town, and very reasonable costs. It's one of my top 5 in the metro for sure.

18. Default Re: good Chinese food????

That's really close to my work.

19. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    If everything I said was true - then how does it not help? You didn't say you wanted someone to hold you hand, pat you and the head and say it will all be okay.

I gave several suggestions - lawyer, cease and desist, make them a tradeout officer. Exactly what "help" were you looking for?

They are a small business. I would imagine they are still running the ad because they like it and a new ad costs time and money.

Besides, there are compaines that run ads all the way up to their going out of business. Guess those ads weren't really helping them were they?

Yes, I do think you should suck it up. I never said to shut up - I said either let it go or try and turn it into a positive.

Now, remove your head far enough out of your rectum so that your ears can hear what I'm really saying. (Ahhhh, I knew those quotes from my dad would come in handy one day).
    You know, you're right, I guess it was the condecending way in which you offerred your suggestion that turned off my ears, but I do appreciate the time and effort that it took to attempt to get me to thinking and yes...it was probably one of those days that I just wanted to hear, "Oh poor you"...thanks again for taking the time to clarify and state things just as they are." You won't hear this often, but you are hearing it now, I was certainly wrong in the way that I read and accepted your suggestions, actually, they were quite good..thanks (I sincerely mean that)
    Too old NOT to care

My vote Dot Wo....

21. Default Re: good Chinese food????

Kang's in Edmond (2nd between Coltrane and Bryant) has a varied and delightful menu.
    The something Wok in Kickingbird Square in Edmond (Danforth and Bryant) is great for lunch. order the C-19

I vote for China House at Hefner and Council. Good stuff.

I wasn't that impressed with China House at Hefner and Council, nor Speedy Wok at Hefner and Rockwell, even though I know the owners. They do have good soups at Speedy Wok though.

I went to Grand House for my third (and hopefully last) time today. I don't see the appeal- other than the beef on a stick stuff, the food just isn't that good.

Grand House used to be pretty good.

I haven't been there in awhile.

I'm always a little wary of Chinese restaurants -- the quality of ingredients in most of them is appalling. I'm not a big fan of mystery meat.

Thread Information