Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza House in downtown OKC

Default Pizza House in downtown OKC

Ate their the other night after a meeting. Its on Main just east of Walker, next to Coney Island and across the street from the Montgomery. Excellent authentic NY style pizza joint. I got a custom made calzone for around $4 bucks. I also hear they have a great lunch menu. Huge selection of sauces, toppings, etc. And if they don't have something on the menu let them know and they'll usually make it for you. On a scale of 1-10 for pizza joints, I give it a 10. Go support another downtown food landmark in the heart of the Arts Quarter, you won't be disappointed.

Default Re: Pizza House in downtown OKC

Went there again today for lunch. It's becoming one of my new spots for authentic food. It reminds you of an old pizza joint on in the northeast. The lunch buffet $4.99 is your best bet for lunch. It includes all you can eat pizza, pasta, calzones, and salad. It is from 11-2. I got there at 11am and had to wait about 20-25 mins for the pizza to come out although the salad and spaghetti where already ready. If your doing an early lunch I recommend waiting until about 11:30 to make sure there is plenty of food to choose from. The pizza is excellent, probably the best you'll find on a buffet. Didn't try the pasta, the salad was good. Didn't have calzones ready but can say they are excellent from past experience. Other than the wait, I'd give this place a 9 out of 10 for pizza joints.

Jack Guest

Have you seen the huge rats out back?

Patrick Guest

I ate there Monday for lunch. Had their lunch buffet which includes a salad bar. Although the interior isn't very fancy and is quite out of date, the pizza was excellent, as was the salad bar. I'll be back. Interior atmosphere didn't bother me too much. The pizza was definitely worth it.

We used to eat there a lot, until rumors surfaced after the Murrah Building bombing.
    Supposedly, the Arabic owners/employees cheered when the bombing happened. Does anyone remember hearing this? Does anyone know who the current owners are?

6. Default Re: Pizza House in downtown OKC

It seems to me those rumors always surface after something gets bombed in the U.S. When 9-11 happened, there was a rumor at UCO that some of the Middle Eastern students cheered, but the rumors were completely unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101
    We used to eat there a lot, until rumors surfaced after the Murrah Building bombing.
    Supposedly, the Arabic owners/employees cheered when the bombing happened. Does anyone remember hearing this? Does anyone know who the current owners are?
    You ought to go there and ask them whether or not they cheered.

That's a ridiculously offensive thing to assume about a group of people.

At the time, it was not ridiculous.

I lost friends and co-workers in that building, and my mother was injured and homeless.

I watched a burning head roll across the street and held the hand of a friend who lost her two sons.

I agree - judging without knowing the facts behind the question is presumptious.

Looking back now, perhaps my readiness to believe was hasty, but the source was credible. That is why I asked.

Pizza Town does lack ambiance but they have a pretty good buffet. They're also a very good choice if you need a few pizzas delivered downtown. The made to order pizzas are a little better (more stuff) than the buffet pies in my opinion.

At the time of the bombing they were on Robinson - across the street east of the Journal Record building. Because of the damage up there they reopened at their present site on Main Street.

I've heard the rumors too but I've never gotten sick eating there. You're probably safe unless you want to eat out back in the alley.

10. Default Re: Pizza House in downtown OKC

Laurie,

As offensive as it may seem that others would cheer destruction in our country, it is certainly their right to do so. They don't *have* to like us.

Rumor or not, I'd try the place out. The Murrah bombing was awhile ago, and I know this will seem offensive to you (because of the personal impact the event had on you) but sometimes we can move on while remembering that which was lost.

No Laurie, at any time, such an assumption is ridiculous. It's people who believe that such assumptions are not ridiculous that beat perfectly innocent middle-easterners to death following 9/11.

Racism is never okay.

1Adam12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    No Laurie, at any time, such an assumption is ridiculous. It's people who believe that such assumptions are not ridiculous that beat perfectly innocent middle-easterners to death following 9/11.

Racism is never okay.
    Why don't you and bandnerd give it a rest? I have a better idea, Midtowner. Since you are so high and mighty, why don't you go in and ask them that question? Geez.

Laurie, I am really sorry about what happened to you and your friends at the Murray Building bombing. I was there also, and saw some things that nobody should have to see. If your information about the owner of Pizza Town was from somebody that was credible, then you did your part by letting us know. Thanks.

Thankfully, the majority of the members on this forum, from what I see, are sympathetic and understanding. Unfortunately, there are a few that aren't, and you just heard from them.

One more thing. I have eaten at Pizza Town a couple of times, and that's all it took. When their buffet was out, they had very little to choose from, and their dining area was always too hot. The last time I ate there, I found two hairs in my pizza, and I know it didn't come from me, because I am bald. I don't go there anymore, and most other officers won't eat there either.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Adam12
    Why don't you and bandnerd give it a rest? I have a better idea, Midtowner. Since you are so high and mighty, why don't you go in and ask them that question? Geez.

Laurie, I am really sorry about what happened to you and your friends at the Murray Building bombing. I was there also, and saw some things that nobody should have to see. If your information about the owner of Pizza Town was from somebody that was credible, then you did your part by letting us know. Thanks.

Thankfully, the majority of the members on this forum, from what I see, are sympathetic and understanding. Unfortunately, there are a few that aren't, and you just heard from them.

One more thing. I have eaten at Pizza Town a couple of times, and that's all it took. When their buffet was out, they had very little to choose from, and their dining area was always too hot. The last time I ate there, I found two hairs in my pizza, and I know it didn't come from me, because I am bald. I don't go there anymore, and most other officers won't eat there either.
    So Adam, what you're saying is that racism is okay?

I always heard that there were a few cops out there who worked like that. You one of those?

If you're trying to find grounds to attack us on here, you're on weak ground. I was pointing out that racism is bad. Is that so bad? Oh.. right on Mr. DWB.

1Adam12 Guest

So Adam, what you're saying is that racism is okay?

I always heard that there were a few cops out there who worked like that. You one of those?

If you're trying to find grounds to attack us on here, you're on weak ground. I was pointing out that racism is bad. Is that so bad? Oh.. right on Mr. DWB.
    Racism was never mentioned, except by you. The post was very innocent, with some information from a credible source. I never mentioned racism. You turned it in to a racial issue. Maybe you are the one with the problem.

Attack you? Never. I agree that racism is bad, and I don't associate with cops that I know are racist.

What credible source would possibly say something like that. Credible sources don't say things that are untrue.

-- that would mean that they aren't credible sources.

See how that works?

1Adam12 Guest

What credible source would possibly say something like that. Credible sources don't say things that are untrue.

-- that would mean that they aren't credible sources.

See how that works?
    Re read Laurie's post. She said she had a credible source that told her the truth.

Credible sources speak the truth.

Now, do you see how that works?

No Lauri, at any time, such an assumption is ridiculous. It's people who believe that such assumptions are not ridiculous that beat perfectly innocent middle-easterners to death following 9/11.

Racism is never okay.
    Oh, for crying out loud!
    Not once did I ever say I was prejudiced against Middle Easterners. You are carrying my inquiry way out there to the edge of reason and f**king with my words.
    I simply asked if anyone had heard this rumor - and if you read my post, you will see that I said "rumor". My credible source was an OKC fireman.

You made an assumption from my post that I was a racist - do you not find that ridiculous? Or do the rules only apply to other people?

And bandnerd - until you walk a mile in my shoes, please don't tell me to move on. For the most part, I have, but there are some things in life that you never ever forget.

Patrick Guest

Personally, I could care less what color or race the people are that were that are running the place. The guy at the register was middle eastern, but that doesn't bother me. And I'd bet he's Muslim, but that doesn't bother me either. He treated me with respect and the pizza was great. Sure, the atmosphere is a bit old and not the best, but the pizza was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Adam12
    Re read Laurie's post. She said she had a credible source that told her the truth.

Credible sources speak the truth.

Now, do you see how that works?
    Okay, so her credible source said that the middle easterners at this restaurant celebrated after the Murrah bombing...

See how that works?

Gosh you can be slow.

20. Default Re: Pizza House in downtown OKC

Lauri, I understand that it is difficult to move on. That's why I included the personal parenthesis that excluded you from the bunch. I have had my own personal tragedies, don't you worry. I understand the universal feelings of loss and pain and hatred, certainly in a different way than you, however...but as I said before, I think these rumors tend to surface whenever something happens to the US that the more crazy US-hating Middle Easterners would like to see happens, like the Murrah bombing or 9-11. Those rumors really did surface at UCO, and they really were unfounded...though I remember Channel 4 doing a story on it...I wasn't trying to be rude, seriously. Don't take my lame attempt at understanding to be that way. I know you feel the source you found this information from was credible, but maybe check into it a little more before completely boycotting the business. It may end up being completely untrue and your favorite pizza all at the same time!

Please get back to topic. This thread is about a review of a pizza place, not racism or supposed racism. Start a new thread in a different forum.

so i've been on the search for the perfect slice. hideaway is currently tops with me, but i'm always searching for different/better. i've got a lead on chicago style, now i've got two leads on new york style. so... how's parking at the pizza house? am i gonna have to park a mile away just to pick up a pizza? -M

Wow...the first ever Pizza/Middle East/Racism/Murrah/Cop Bashing thread ever in the history of chat...Just wanted to be a part of history

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Please get back to topic. This thread is about a review of a pizza place, not racism or supposed racism. Start a new thread in a different forum.
    Thanks, but you're not a moderator. Appreciate it!

At any rate, had some pretty good pizza last night from Hemi's. New York style pepperoni. Was terrific, except for the fact that they got my order wrong (I ordered a Hemi's Special, Pan and somehow he heard "New York pepperoni"). The SOB manager actually argued with me on the phone -- and by argue, I mean the dude was yelling and not backing down. I appreciate a good yelling match as much as the next guy, but I wasn't wanting to wait another hour to eat, and it wouldn't have been fair to the driver to make him go get me a new one, so I just accepted the wrong pizza.

Despite being not what I wanted, it was pretty damned good, and only 11.91 after taxes and delivery charges.

Try Gaetano's mmm.. Check out the review I posted the other day. I highly recommend them for NY style pizza.

Thread Information