Widgets Magazine

Thread: Grand House in the Asian District

Default Grand House in the Asian District

My girlfriend and I ate there this past weekend after the Lunar New Years festival at the Gold Dome. This seemed like the nicest "Asian" restaurant in the area so we stopped there. I was thinking more Chinese type food and low and behold it is more of a Dim Sum restaurant. I have never had Dim Sum and wasn't familiar with the protocol and they started to proceed without explaining etc. Just simply started serving the dishes. Basically it is a "family style" eatery from what I get and they simply come by your table with each plate offering it if you want it. I passed on most of the dishes as I'm not a big shrimp or squid fan. The atmosphere was very nice and it was pretty packed so it must be good. I thought it was just okay, but not my cup of tea. They had a nice bakery selection at the front of the restaurant. I ordered my favorite, Tiramisu but I did not enjoy it. The cake layers were stale and they were not soaked in espresso. All in all I give this place a 5 out of 10 although that's not fair because its not my gig.

Default Re: Grand House in the Asian District

I love dim sum and I was both happy and surprised to find we had a dim sum restaurant in OKC when I moved back. They do have what most would consider regular chinese food during the week and at nights. Dim sum is normally just a brunch type thing. They also have live jazz music on the weekends. They recently remodeled it within the last year or so.

I had friends in from Los Angeles this weekend and we ate here on Friday before we went out to hit the town. It is recently remodeled and it's lovely. On Fridays, they have live jazz from 7 - 10 and it was a lot of fun. There were several older couples who look like regulars that danced beautifully on the dance floor.

We had multiple cocktails and found a coconut margarita that was incredible! I stuck with the tried and true Japanese Asahi beer and, as always, loved it.

For appetizers, we had the calamari and crab rangoon....LOVED the calamari. It was not like that which you get in an Italian restaurant, but was wonderful. The crab rangoon, on the other hand, was just okay.

One of my friends is a vegetarian, and was pleasantly surprised to find some great veggie dishes...she particularly enjoyed the curried vegetables. The rest of us split the Buddha Delight (another tofu dish), the fried noodles and the sesame chicken. They all were excellent.

It was a lively atmosphere, great drinks and food. Overall, everyone had a wonderful time. I'll certainly visit again soon and wouldn't hesitate to take anyone from out of town.

Patrick Guest

I'm with metro. I ate at Grand House awhile back with some friends. The atompshere was very very nice. Pretty upscale inside. But, I wasn't really impressed with the food. I'm not even sure I'd give it a 5.

Thread Information