Widgets Magazine

Thread: Names for an expansion team

Patrick Guest

Default Names for an expansion team

If the Hornets do return to NOLA, what are your ideas for a name for an expansion team in OKC.

One of the ideas being tossed around right now on another site is the Oklahoma City Thunderbirds. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Names for an expansion team

I don't like it but the Pioneers would be appropriate. Or the OKC Frontier. Cowboy's hasn't been used in the NBA yet. How about the OKC Young Rich Athletes? I'm not liking the western theme but it is appropriate

A lot of teams have used names like "Pirates," "Renegades", etc.

I'd like to name a team the "Oklahoma City Jihad."

4. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

LOL! Midtowner... what will we ever do with you???
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Midtowner how about the Crusaders? Perhaps the Buffalos.

The Oklahoma City Domestic Terrorists

Wait.. that's real.

7. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

Why, the OKC TALK-ers, after this very board.

The Plainsmen

I don't see the league expanding any more than they already have. They're at a nice even number.

If the Hornets don't stick around, look forward to the Oklahoma City Raptors, Oklahoma City SuperSonics, or Oklahoma City Magic.

The first two do more for me than the latter.

10. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

The city could cause problems with the league if they fail to find an expansion team should the Hornets leave and another team not move here. The special expansion that created the Bobcats set precidence.

The name. As I have said in many other threads... The Oklahoma Centennial. Not CentennianlS, Centennial. After all, we are celebrating 100 years of statehood next year, the year we should be awarded the first Oklahoma based permanant big four major league franchise in history.

The Centennial, I like it. But John is probably right, more than likely we would get the Magic, SuperSonics, Hawks, or Raptors. I wish if a team relocated you could rename them to fit your area.

12. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    The Centennial, I like it. But John is probably right, more than likely we would get the Magic, SuperSonics, Hawks, or Raptors. I wish if a team relocated you could rename them to fit your area.
    Does the NBA have a renaming policy? I thought the ownership had the right to change the name.

By the way. I do agree. Chances are we will get the Super Sonics if the Hornets move back to New Orleans. That could be a compromise on Oklahoma City's part. We agree to let them go back in eexchange for a 100% permanant commitment for the Sonics.

And speaking of the Sonics. Would that name work here? Sonic Drive In's. A lot of people might think they own the team or bought naming rights to keep the name the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Does the NBA have a renaming policy? I thought the ownership had the right to change the name.
    Franchises rarely change names, even when they move.

Are there really Lakes in Los Angeles? (From Minnesota)

Is there any Jazz in Salt Lake? (NOLA's first failure)

Kansas City is the 'crown city', with the Cheifs, Royals, and formerly the Kings.

On the nazi Hornets site, they want the team to change colors and names when they 'return to NOLA'. So why would it matter if they got the Hornets back in that case?

14. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson

By the way. I do agree. Chances are we will get the Super Sonics if the Hornets move back to New Orleans. That could be a compromise on Oklahoma City's part. We agree to let them go back in eexchange for a 100% permanant commitment for the Sonics.

And speaking of the Sonics. Would that name work here? Sonic Drive In's. A lot of people might think they own the team or bought naming rights to keep the name the same.

how about we keep the hornets and the sonics can go to NO.

15. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

We agree to let the Hornets go back? They aren't ours to keep.

I think everyone needed to watch KWTV at 5 tonight, they had a very good segment on the contract with the New Orleans Arena...there is no way out of it that wouldn't cost a boat load of money. It is a very iron clad agreement. The $10 million people on this board keep through around is the payback if the team choose not to renew in 2012...not if they want out early.

16. Default Re: Names for an expansion team

Quote Originally Posted by venture79
    We agree to let the Hornets go back? They aren't ours to keep.

I think everyone needed to watch KWTV at 5 tonight, they had a very good segment on the contract with the New Orleans Arena...there is no way out of it that wouldn't cost a boat load of money. It is a very iron clad agreement. The $10 million people on this board keep through around is the payback if the team choose not to renew in 2012...not if they want out early.
    That was just one attorney's opinion... Out of how many attorneys in this country?

The state (Louisiana) owes the team money, hasn't gotten naming rights for the arena, hasn't built a practice facility for the team, the business and fan climate in New Orleans isn't fitting of operating an NBA team, there's the whole force majeure <sp> factor...

There are many breaches of contract by the state of LA, and the Superdome/Arena group.

It won't be that big of a deal to end that contract, I've read the whole thing.

Jack Guest

Yup, and the contract states that if anyone defaults in the agreements, the contract is null and void. Thus, the state of LA is already in default. The contract isn't enforceable.

Does anyone have a copy of the contract that I could take a peek at?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Does anyone have a copy of the contract that I could take a peek at?
    Here's the lease agreement, Midtowner.

http://www.newsok.com/docs/hornets_arena.pdf

Thread Information