Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

1. Default OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

This looks awsome for OKC to be in the Top 20. But I don't quite understand the 1 for drinking water. But either way we placeed pretty well. Here is the link: http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=15115

Default Re: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

Grammar police here.

"Top cleanest" = redundant.

3. Default Re: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Grammar police here.

"Top cleanest" = redundant.
    Yeah, well, for "nuclear", our president says, "nu-cu-ler", as if there is a "u" in the 2nd syllable of the word, and notwithstanding his prestigious college degree by reason of which one would think that he'd know better. Makes you wonder about the quality of the degree, doesn't it? His wife even kidded him about that in a speech she made last year. By now, you KNOW he knows he's wrong, so why doesn't he get it right? One would think that the President of the United States would perceive a value in being seen as a well educated person, especially in language, which involves the arts of diplomacy and, as well, that of most any listener's perception.

So, Midtowner, send your grammar police (and other English language police people) to the White House with instructions to lock 'em up until they learn to speak correctly. The whole world, as it is, knows that our president can't, or won't, speak the King's (or even American) English!

LOL... the dumbing down of American language... Bush's greatest legacy.

Doug, haven't you heard? President Bush holds himself to be above the law. I'd have to assume that the law of grammar is included in that list of things that he's above.

Scribe, I blame TV, MTV in particular.

I'm 26 going on 85.

Somehow, I don't see Bush as an MTV watcher... what's his excuse?

He's from Texas.

8. Default Re: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

ooohhhh Midtowner - low blow LOL
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

can we get off the BUSH BASHING and back to topic please?

Can a mod please fix the title of this thread? I must have issues. I agree metro, this is one of the most bestest things to ever happen to the city's reputation.

I don't, since it's "one of the top" the word "cleanest" may be OK. Because out of the cleanest, it's one of them (don't start a sentence with 'because'). I think my problem is with the idea that you can be "one of the top". Shouldn't there only be one at the top? I guess you can be one of the top 20, which is what I think the original point was.

As for the water, I remember seeing and reading articles about our water being high in unsafe chemicals. I can not remember exactly what chemical it is, but I know Norman has one of the highest levels in the country of a certain banned chemical. Maybe the city's is relatively high as well. Sorry for being completely vauge and useless on the matter...

12. Default Re: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    He's from Texas.
    And, when he moved to DC, he raised the average IQ in both locations.

I'll never pass up the opportunity to use that line.

I don't assign much importance to these lists in the first place as they are more filler and fluff than telling or insightful. It's hard to find any real comparisons between really large urban centers like Chicago and OKC.

One thing for sure, the army of riding vacume cleaners scouring the gutters and sidewalks downtown has had a dramatic impact on the amount of litter.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

DTG, I'm with you on the worthlessness of the study. There is no methodology given (and usually the methodology of these studies is awful), there's no real rationale for anything, and finally, Portland, Oregon should no way be a the top of the list... Oh, I see.. they don't include the personal hygeine of the residents

Chicago, for example, has excellent water but its score is brought down by problems in the outlying areas
    The could be the source of our low water rating. I think Norman has had some problems with their water.

As for the validity of the study, I agree, it's hard to tell because they don't tell you what the basis is or even what the source of their information is. Maybe there is a deeper explanation elsewhere.

swake Guest

No, he's not from Texas, that's just the part he plays on TV, he's from Maine, spent most of his childhood in DC while daddy worked in government, went to Yale, pretty far from Texas.

Great accent though

swake Guest

No, he's not from Texas, that's just the part he plays on TV, he's from Maine, spent most of his childhood in DC while daddy worked in government, went to Yale, pretty far from Texas.

Great accent though

17. Default Re: OKC One of the Top Cleanest Cities

wow I am glad we discussed the topic at hand. Either way I only typed the name of the article as I saw it. I realize it is redundant but don't put it on me.

Thread Information