Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Relocation to OKC

Newpoint Guest

Question Possible Relocation to OKC

Hello,

My husband is in advance discussion w/ a company in OKC & heard good things 'bout Edmond. A quick quick search on OKC, however, got me a little nervous 'bout tornados. I have small children & wanted to see how you guys deal with such conditions?

Am I just getting too paranoid??

Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

Tornadoes are generally isolated events which occur with other storm activity. The X factor is that their behavior is largely unpredictable as to where exactly they will go and how long they will last. But it's far more predictable that, say, an earthquake and much less widespread. The conditions which produce tornadoes are well known and our local weather people will constantly remind you when those conditions exist... over and over again.

Chances are that, if you move here, you will never be hit by a tornado, but will probably take your "tornado precautions" a few times. That just means that when there is a storm producing tornadoes in your area, you will get in the center most part of your house, preferable a closet or bathroom, or basement (which you won't find in Edmond) and snuggle down with your kids and listen to the radio for half an hour or so until it passes.

Basing your life around it would probably be a bit paranoid, but not being aware and prepared would be foolish. I grew up here and have never met anyone who has been directly hit by a tornado. A little roof damage here and there, maybe losing some trees in a storm, but not a full on tornado strike. However, we do have a tornado kit (water, flashlights, batteries, radio, etc.) and we usually spend some of our spring in the basement watching weather radar, usually with me trying to calm the paranoia of my wife who is from California.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Tornadoes are generally isolated events which occur with other storm activity. The X factor is that their behavior is largely unpredictable as to where exactly they will go and how long they will last. But it's far more predictable that, say, an earthquake and much less widespread. The conditions which produce tornadoes are well known and our local weather people will constantly remind you when those conditions exist... over and over again.

Chances are that, if you move here, you will never be hit by a tornado, but will probably take your "tornado precautions" a few times. That just means that when there is a storm producing tornadoes in your area, you will get in the center most part of your house, preferable a closet or bathroom, or basement (which you won't find in Edmond) and snuggle down with your kids and listen to the radio for half an hour or so until it passes.

Basing your life around it would probably be a bit paranoid, but not being aware and prepared would be foolish. I grew up here and have never met anyone who has been directly hit by a tornado. A little roof damage here and there, maybe losing some trees in a storm, but not a full on tornado strike. However, we do have a tornado kit (water, flashlights, batteries, radio, etc.) and we usually spend some of our spring in the basement watching weather radar, usually with me trying to calm the paranoia of my wife who is from California.
    Plus, since Oklahoma is in tornado alley, the meteoroligists in OKC have the most updated technological radar systems in the country. We also have an excellent warning system that has been proven effective. Around here you learn to respect tornadoes and keep a close watch on the weather when a tornado watch is issued.

The tornado precautions that BDP posted above are excellent. As long as you follow those precautions and pay attention to the weather men on severe weather days, you will be just fine. After 44 years living in Oklahoma, I have never had any damage from any tornadoes, and I have never had the desire to live anywhere else.

4. Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

We relocated from CA nearly 3 years ago from the Bay Area ... I too was scared to death of tornados.. so far, so good.... nary a flying cow! ( But, in the very beginning, I was in my shelter even when the state was under a simple 'watch'.. ha,ha I still laugh at myself hiding in the shelter until a neighbor called my husband at work and told him to Nextel me to come out of the shelter as a tornado watch would be in effect all day long! ) I'm still the laughing stock of seasoned storm chasers on the block!

At any rate, I would love to talk to you about Edmond.. I love it here - absolutely wonderful place to raise children... and a shameless plug, I am a Real Estate Consultant/Realtor and can give you instant access to every property in the area... I won't bug you or hassle you - not my style.. just let me know if you want to see anything or have any questions. karrie@churchillbrown.com

Welcome to OK!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

5. Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

Newpoint, I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life... 27 years... and have only seen one tornado in my life time. We average 53 (mostly weak) tornadoes per year across the state. Oklahoma covers over 69,000 square miles. The last major tornado in the metro was in 1999. The last F3 tornado was in 2003.

I was raised in Edmond and graduated from Edmond Memorial High School in 1998. Edmond is a beautiful suburb and has come a long way even since I moved to OKC in 2000. Here is a definite insiders tip for you...

North Oklahoma City (just west of Edmond) is the fastest growing region in the state. Why? Residents in this region north of Quail Springs Mall enjoy several benefits. (1) Edmond Public Schools and Deer Creek Public Schools. (2) Lower cost of Oklahoma City utilities. (3) Lower property tax levies, and (4) right next to a major regional shopping power center. Everything you need is at the intersection of Memorial and Pennsylvania, including more than a dozen good restaurants, 24 theaters, shopping mall with 140 stores, two bookstores, three electronic stores, two home improvement stores, two supermarkets, one wholesale warehouse, and several banks. Only downside of this area is bad roads. The rapid construction growth tore up otherwise country farm roads, but OKC is working hard to widen every county road in that area. That and traffic.

In east Edmond, the terrain comprises of trees and hills, easy access to I-35 and near Arcadia Lake. And, if you like upscale shopping, Spring Creek is a work in progress on 15th and Bryant.

You'll love Oklahoma City. Don't worry about tornadoes. They are often short-lived and damage paths narrow. Remember, no matter where you are on planet Earth, you cannot escape natural phenomenon, be it floods, typhoons, earthquakes, blizzards, tornadoes, electrical storms, mudslides, hurricanes, etc.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Newpoint Guest

Wink Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

Thank you all for your quick and thoughtful insights. I've been reading EdmondSun newpaper on a regular basis to get informed 'bout the area. If everything goes well, we might take a couple of days trip to OKC (sometime early next month) to get familiarized about communities.

Thanks again.

Don't move to Moore, OK.

That is all.

8. Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

Midtowner - lol - I give you the award for your shortest comment on record! Ha,ha..

Jack Guest

Check out the east side of Edmond. It's absolutely lovely. Very heavily wooded, gently rolling hills.

Jack Guest

BTW, tornados are only an issue a few weeks during the spring, and even then, most are mild and in rural areas. Tornados typically steer away from the concrete of the city. We have many many structures that have been standing for close to a century. I don't believe Downtown OKC has ever been hit by a tornado.

If you move here, remember, our media goes overboard. So don't get too scared off by them. If there'a little wind, they'll cry tornado! LOL!

11. Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

That's interesting - why do tornados steer away from concrete?

I'd speculate that it has more to do with the durability of concrete structures as opposed to mobile homes than the fact that tornados simply haven't been that way. Jack, I hate to turn this thread in to 'one of those' types, but do you have any science to back that up?

Randy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Don't move to Moore, OK.

That is all.
    Actually, I lived in Moore for over 20 years, and find that Moore is one of the best places to live.

Jack Guest

Midtowner, it's pretty much a known fact that every weatherman has mentioned. Dry city heat rising from the concrete of the city dries out storm systems and weakens them. That's why when tornadoes leave the city area, much of the time the storm is weakened and doesn't spawn any more tornados. In contrast, tornadoes pick up steam over farmland which is made up of cooler, more humid soil.

Jack Guest

At the same time, moist areas, like lakes tend to spawn tornadoes. That's why water spouts are so common.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    At the same time, moist areas, like lakes tend to spawn tornadoes. That's why water spouts are so common.
    I remember several years ago when a tornado struck NW. OKC. The tornado did not actually touch ground until it was over Lake Hefner. As it moved in to western Okla. County, it was just a funnel until it got over Lake Hefner. Then it dropped down on Lake Hefner and moved NE across the NW part of the city.

Newpoint Guest

Hello,

would you guys recommend me a decent apartment (short-term, about 6months until find a house) around Edmond area? I have searched Yahoo real estate section & saw some good looking ones, but I wanted to check w/ you guys.. Thanks!!

18. Default Re: Possible Relocation to OKC

I am not sure what apartments are offered in actual Edmond, I am sure there are some nice ones. I assume that you are looking for Class A apartments, so that is the info I will give you. In far north Oklahoma City (just west of Edmond), in the Edmond school district (if that is important to you), there are 3 nice Class A apartments. They are in the Quail Springs area. There are loads of shopping and restaurants in the area, and more being built all the time. The 3 are:

Sycamore Farms
    Stoneleigh on May
    Quail Landing

I live in Quail Landing, so I know the website. It is http://www.quaillandingapts.com. And their phone is 405.749.1310.

Sorry, I don't know the others' websites or phones, but I am sure you can look it up online. You can get attached garages at all these places. The thing I like about Quail Landing is that every building is only 2 stories. I live on the 2nd floor above garages, so noone disturbs me, and I don't disturb anyone. That is a very rare find in apartments (that are not concrete structures, like downtown).

The apartments by Qual Springs mall are pretty nice. They are on penn I believe heading toward33rd street. The last I saw they are pretty high but very nice.(might of been mentioned above)

Other than those most of the apartments intown edmond arent the best. im getting you want to rent at a nice complex, so you will probably want to rule out any section 8 apartments. from what i have seen and heard from people is that the section 8 apartments arent that nice.

If you want a more detail i can look around in the next few days.

Those apartments behind the Hampton Inn across from Quail Springs mall, and behind IHOP dont look too bad to me, I noticed them when I was staying at the Hampton a few weeks ago.

Newpoint Guest

Thanks, guys. You're right. I'm looking at class A type apartment, especially when my future employer might cover 1/2 of the bill (for 'bout 3 months).. I'll use Google Earth to look at streets/buildings & so on until I have a chance to visit there sometime this month.

Thanks again.

In Edmond, Legacy Woods is considered to be the best apartment complex. Also, you'll find that the schools on the north part of town (in the North HS and Memorial HS districts) tend to be a little nicer -- at least that was my observation from subbing there for a year. On the south side of town, you get a lot of Oklahoma City kids whose parents view Public school as a babysitting service, and not someplace for their kids to better themselves.

have to agree with midtowner on that. I havent checked out all the apartments in Edmond.

Quail Landing/Sycamore Farms/Stoneleigh are the place to be in NW OKC for class A apartments.

In Edmond, Legacy Woods was pretty much the only class A digs until Villages @ Stonebridge just opened on Blvd, just south of 33rd.

Jack Guest

Have to be careful with the apartments around Quail Springs Mall. Most of those mentioned are okay, but those around 122nd and Penn, Rain Dance, The Highlands, etc. aren't good. Lincoln Greens and Grouse Run are kept well, but I don't care for that area. Quail Run is fair. Quail Lakes is fair.
    Most complexes in Edmond are decent, EXCEPT the one off 15th and Boulevard.

Crown Pointe, The Gables, Deer Creek Condominiums, and the Warrington along 122nd and MacArthur are decent.

Thread Information