Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oklahoma City Chiefs

Default Re: Oklahoma City Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    "The defeat Tuesday of a three-eighths cent sales tax to fund a new downtown Royals ballpark and renovate the Chiefs’ Arrowhead Stadium was almost assuredly not the end of the matter. Other teams and cities have faced similar setbacks, and that hasn’t slowed a wave of stadium construction underway across the U.S."

https://apnews.com/article/royals-ch...037ebc5b2dcc47

What's the possibility of bringing the Chiefs to OKC? :-)
    Nah. We're already subsidizing enough new buildings for folks who have sufficient capital to build and maintain the buildings themselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they both might leave KCM

there is a real chance they both move to KCK
    Glendale, AZ - 252,136 - 248,325 (+1.53%) - NFL, rejected NHL Arizona Coyotes. Facilities for NHL
    Kansas City, KS - 153,345 - 156,607 (−2.08%) - MLS stadium. No facilities for NFL or MLB.

Just don't see it happening--Kansas City, KS offering $2.8 billion subsidies for an NFL and MLB stadiums. It would take them (KCK) five years to plan and build infrastructure to move those franchises if they passed and approved $3 billion in subsidies this year for two stadiums. The State of Kansas would have to kick in some funds as well as a city the size of KCK offering to subsidize the bulk of the project.

Blog Entries

It would be a disaster for Oklahoma City to bring in an NFL franchise in addition to supporting the Thunder. Our city's MSA is 1,477,926; half-a-million shy for supporting two big league franchises.

There are 4.088 million in the State. Another big league franchise in OKC would put the NBA Thunder in shock and kill the Oklahoma Sooners' football and sports programs..

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It would be a disaster for Oklahoma City to bring in an NFL franchise in addition to supporting the Thunder. Our city's MSA is 1,477,926; half-a-million shy for supporting two big league franchises.

There are 4.088 million in the State. Another big league franchise in OKC would put the NBA Thunder in shock and kill the Oklahoma Sooners' football and sports programs..
    What about Arena or other minor league football ??? Would that also be a disaster?

Blog Entries

Glendale, AZ - 252,136 - 248,325 (+1.53%) - NFL, rejected NHL Arizona Coyotes. Facilities for NHL
    Kansas City, KS - 153,345 - 156,607 (−2.08%) - MLS stadium. No facilities for NFL or MLB.

Just don't see it happening--Kansas City, KS offering $2.8 billion subsidies for an NFL and MLB stadiums. It would take them (KCK) five years to plan and build infrastructure to move those franchises if they passed and approved $3 billion in subsidies this year for two stadiums. The State of Kansas would have to kick in some funds as well as a city the size of KCK offering to subsidize the bulk of the project.

The state of Kansas is reportedly backing the plan. Almost half the metro is in Kansas, along with much of the money. Don't just look at KCK, look at Johnson County, KS. Jackson County, MO is where the tax plan for the teams failed, but next door Johnson County, KS is nearly the same size and much wealthier. Most of Kansas City, MO is in Jackson County while Johnson County is Overland Park, Olathe and a bunch of other towns.

Part of why the plan failed is that both stadiums are today among the best stadiums in MLB/NFL. The Royals' stadium is really only 14 years old since it was completely rebuilt. People in KC love both stadiums but hate where they are. Access to the Truman Sports Complex sucks and it is in a terrible, even depressing, area. I'm not sure holding a vote in Kansas changes those feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Just a guess but I bet before long I bet there will be a new proposal put up for vote with just the Arrowhead upgrades in it. I think that would have passed easily. It's been my experience that KC is like St. Louis but backwards. I go in KC stores and there are racks and racks of Chiefs gear and a corner of Royals gear. St. Louis is the other way with the Cards vs. the Blues and the NFL teams that moved. So I don't think the Chiefs are going anywhere.
    I agree if this was a split vote, where Question 1- Arrowhead Upgrades and Question 2 was Royals New Stadium...Arrowhead Stadium improvements would have passed easily.

Kansas has had a fund to attract pro sports teams since they set up sports betting in September 2022. The state gets about a 10% cut of sports betting revenue, and 80% of the tax revenue collected is supposed to be earmarked for that fund.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I agree if this was a split vote, where Question 1- Arrowhead Upgrades and Question 2 was Royals New Stadium...Arrowhead Stadium improvements would have passed easily.
    Local sports hosts interviewed the owner of the Rockies before their local opening day. He agreed with this statement and noted the bond issue to build the much less expensive current Bronchos stadium only passed 51 - 48% 20 years ago. That was also after a championship season. There was also something about a very expensive remodel of the Chiefs owners suite at the same time they were pushing for the stadium package that went over very badly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    What about Arena or other minor league football ??? Would that also be a disaster?
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to have NFL Chiefs in OKC, what a rivalry we would have with Dallas, Denver and Houston. Our population numbers and state corporate sponsorships don't add up. An NFL stadium in OKC would cost at least $1.5 billion.

Arena football didn't make it here when we had an original AFL (Portland Forest Dragons) franchise relocated here; later AF2 came to the city. Arena football never caught fire in OKC.

IMO Oklahoma City MSA should attempt to lure a spring football league like the United Football League (UFL) to either Edmond (12,000 seat Richison Stadium) or Norman (84,000 seat GF Memorial Stadium lower bowl) until we get the MAPS 4 multi-purpose stadium built increasing the seating capacity from 8,000 to 20,000 with the addition an upper deck..

The MAPS 4 Multi-purpose stadium needs to be ready to bring in another anchor tenant based on the track record of the Funk's USL OKC Energy.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Chiefs

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have NFL Chiefs in OKC, what a rivalry we would have with Dallas, Denver and Houston. Our population numbers and state corporate sponsorships don't add up. An NFL stadium in OKC would cost at least $1.5 billion.

Arena football didn't make it here when we had an original AFL (Portland Forest Dragons) franchise relocated here; later AF2 came to the city. Arena football never caught fire in OKC.

IMO Oklahoma City MSA should attempt to lure a spring football league like the United Football League (UFL) to either Edmond (12,000 seat Richison Stadium) or Norman (84,000 seat GF Memorial Stadium lower bowl) until we get the MAPS 4 multi-purpose stadium built increasing the seating capacity from 8,000 to 20,000 with the addition an upper deck..

The MAPS 4 Multi-purpose stadium needs to be ready to bring in another anchor tenant based on the track record of the Funk's USL OKC Energy.
    While I happen to like both arena FB and spring FB neither seem to be more than barely existing. The two spring FB leagues merged and dropped a bunch of teams in the process. Arena FB looks like they're having their first season this year since filing for bankruptcy in 2019. I doubt very seriously that OKC could get either. Or really even want either.

The NFL prettty much works ANYWHERE and would work in OKC

Thread Information