Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: April 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2024 - General Weather Discussion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-s4o...ture=emb_title

Just devastating. I don’t know how they recover from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post

Wonder if they think the PDS watch was a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Wonder if they think the PDS watch was a bust?
    From the NOAA glossary: "Particularly Dangerous Situation (PDS) wording is used in rare situations when long-lived, strong and violent tornadoes are possible. This enhanced wording may also accompany severe thunderstorm watches for intense convective wind storms"

https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=WATCH

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    From the NOAA glossary: "Particularly Dangerous Situation (PDS) wording is used in rare situations when long-lived, strong and violent tornadoes are possible. This enhanced wording may also accompany severe thunderstorm watches for intense convective wind storms"

https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=WATCH
    Yes…seems like the Sulfur and Holdenville tornados both fit that description which was my response to someone on the previous page who said there were no PDS tornados yesterday and that the PDS watch was a bust.

5. Default Re: April 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Is there an estimate yet of how many tornadoes touched down across the state?

Look, people getting twisted off because I said yesterday was a partial bust. It was! From the period of 12-7pm, the storms did not develop like forecasted/modeled. Something was keeping them from firing and/or maintaining in the huge area laid out with PDS tornado watch. That’s twice this spring that a big severe weather event was forecasted and it just didn’t pop. Also, there were no PDS tornadoes in the region I just described. Thats to what I was referring when I said “no PDS tornadoes last night.”

If you’ll also note, I said the event went as forecast after hours with the line of storms. I don’t know if that tornado last night was a PDS tornado. Don’t think I’ve seen that designation for it. Doesn’t matter though. It was a damaging tornado and clearly a dangerous situation for those involved.

Seen the damage now out of Sulphur. Feel bad for those folks. Going to take a while to recover given the socioeconomic status of that area.

It’s looking like an unsettled pattern ahead with storm chances Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Tuesday looks more like a south central ok event, Wednesday looks like NW ok, and Thursday looks like it’ll be further to the southeast. There will be a possibility of a fair amount of instability, but there will be caps to overcome on each day. The upper level jet really seems to be out of place for these days, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Look, people getting twisted off because I said yesterday was a partial bust. It was! From the period of 12-7pm, the storms did not develop like forecasted/modeled. Something was keeping them from firing and/or maintaining in the huge area laid out with PDS tornado watch. That’s twice this spring that a big severe weather event was forecasted and it just didn’t pop. Also, there were no PDS tornadoes in the region I just described. Thats to what I was referring when I said “no PDS tornadoes last night.”

If you’ll also note, I said the event went as forecast after hours with the line of storms. I don’t know if that tornado last night was a PDS tornado. Don’t think I’ve seen that designation for it. Doesn’t matter though. It was a damaging tornado and clearly a dangerous situation for those involved.
    You could always just say “by bust, I meant it was going to bust like pop off.”

9. Default Re: April 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Seen the damage now out of Sulphur. Feel bad for those folks. Going to take a while to recover given the socioeconomic status of that area...
    The damage is painful to see, but one thing I will say is that Sulphur is likely better positioned for recovery than most small towns in Oklahoma, owing to the proximity of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, combined with it being a major center of the Chickasaw Nation’s tourism efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The damage is painful to see, but one thing I will say is that Sulfur is likely better positioned for recovery than most small towns in Oklahoma, owing to the proximity of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, combined with it being a major center of the Chickasaw Nation’s tourism efforts.
    And you can see in the drone footage that the historic Artesian Hotel (owned/renovated/operated by the Chickasaws) looks like it was spared.

Quote Originally Posted by liirogue View Post
    Is there an estimate yet of how many tornadoes touched down across the state?
    We won't know the number of confirmed tornadoes for at least a couple days.

I think BECAUSE of PDS warning, there were a lot of lives saved in Sulphur. Sure, it turned out to be an inconvenience for a majority of the region. I live up in northwest Oklahoma City. I had my storm shelter, ready to go to in a moments notice. I kept an eye on the weather all day, and went about my business. I’ll do the same thing if it happens again, and I’ll feel the same way if it’s a "bust" again......at least I was ready.

Bust or just overload? Hear me out. The tv coverage was wall-to-wall starting at 10:30 am. Many of those hours there wasn't even a tornado warning just Thunderstorm warnings. I even think at one point there was only 1 severe thunderstorm warning yet they were still wall-to wall. Did people start to get burned out by 8pm with all the coverage when the true event started to happen. Was it a Bust for the western half of the state? I mean when your wall to wall for hours and no real tornado on the ground from the thousand of chasers out there is it a bust or just overload.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Bust or just overload? Hear me out. The tv coverage was wall-to-wall starting at 10:30 am. Many of those hours there wasn't even a tornado warning just Thunderstorm warnings. I even think at one point there was only 1 severe thunderstorm warning yet they were still wall-to wall. Did people start to get burned out by 8pm with all the coverage when the true event started to happen. Was it a Bust for the western half of the state? I mean when your wall to wall for hours and no real tornado on the ground from the thousand of chasers out there is it a bust or just overload.
    I see what you're saying and I can't say I disagree. The first half of the day did not unfold at all how the masses thought it would. There was a second PDS tornado watch issued for the afternoon that went until 3AM.

But wall-to-wall coverage for mere thunderstorms keeps vulnerable viewers riled up and stressed. There's no reason to break into programming when there's just general thunderstorms. Really there was no reason to break in until that line from Texas showed up close to the southwest sides of the metro because that's when it started getting nasty. Then of course those storms along 35 bubbling up way ahead of the main line which brought the outbreak.

Here's a really good write-up about PDS Watches:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/dean/pdswatch.pdf

I had the tv on all day yesterday and would agree with most of the above. It feels like now the smallest thunderstorm is grounds for wall to wall coverage and anchors just looking for any “spin, rotation, or dangling clouds” twenty years ago they’d beep in during commercials to update on where severe thunderstorms were and only broke into programming when a tornado was imminent.

I’ve definitely started seeing more and more sentiments of “I don’t even get out of bed for less than an F2 or 100mph winds” but I feel like that’s where we’re heading. When every storm in a tv Mets eyes is catastrophic then the real dangerous storms don’t get the concern warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The damage is painful to see, but one thing I will say is that Sulphur is likely better positioned for recovery than most small towns in Oklahoma, owing to the proximity of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, combined with it being a major center of the Chickasaw Nation’s tourism efforts.
    That was my thought as well. As much as it sucks regardless, between insurance and Chickasaw funding/support, this might actually provide an opportunity for the town to rebuild and enhance itself even more from a tourism standpoint. Just a crappy way to get there.

If this had been somewhere with less going for it, there’s a good chance the downtown area wouldn’t be rebuilt and it would just wither away. Pitcher probably isn’t a great example because of everything it already had working against it (a ton) but a tornado through its downtown was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back for that town.

Can News 9 segment their programming based on location? Like, the storms in Leedey. Could they have solely showed weather in western Oklahoma, and left regular programming in OKC and in Eastern Oklahoma?

I don't know how that works, or the cost-benefits of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post

That is awful. Its amazing there weren't any fatalities there.

I just heard that search and rescue is underway in holdenville. Guess there are 20’ish people still missing.

A few storms firing west of the metro.

Where did those storms come from?

Severe storm south of El Reno.

Interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the pattern all week. Would be nice to get some good rain makers out of these.

Interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the pattern all week. Would be nice to get some good rain makers out of these.
    We’ve had almost a half inch of rain, plus a little bit of pea-size hail here at NW Highway & Sara Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And you can see in the drone footage that the historic Artesian Hotel (owned/renovated/operated by the Chickasaws) looks like it was spared.
    I assume you understand that the current Artesian Hotel was built in 2010 and was designed to resemble the original Artesian which was destroyed by fire in 1962. It was not a renovation of an existing hotel.

Thread Information