Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Default Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Absolutely, we've made great strides in many areas from technology, medical and other areas of advancements. But it appears when it comes to people exhibiting rude and crude communication -we've lost all sense of decent communication. Maybe it's more present due to social media? But, it seems respect and decency in communication from Presidental candidates to day to day encounter with average people it is increasingly rude and crude. Feels like we're sliding down into barbaric communication instead of growing in respect and appreciation. It's a sad spot to be in when rude/crude communicate becomes normal way of life.

2. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

That is the world we live in today. It is a lot worse in some places. We have gone to great lengths to change the world to be like this it seems. I feel sorry for the world my kids and grandchildren will inherit.

Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

I know it has changed in the legal world. There used to be professionalism and courtesy even between opposing counsel. That has disappeared with the younger generations of lawyers.

Maybe the AI robots will be nicer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I know it has changed in the legal world. There used to be professionalism and courtesy even between opposing counsel. That has disappeared with the younger generations of lawyers.
    I practice primarily in domestic cases, and I don't find that to be the case at all. There are some lawyers who are difficult to deal with, but you figure it out. Most of us are very professional, pleasant and friendly. I do a few nursing home cases as well--mostly practicing against large or midsize defense firms like DSDD--also very pleasant to deal with.

I practice all over the state too, so it's pretty fine wherever I've gone.

Yet I always hear about this lack of professionalism. I just never see it.

I'm pretty sure the earliest written communication, when properly translated, will say

"Young Cave Persons are disrespectful idiots."

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm pretty sure the earliest written communication, when properly translated, will say

"Young Cave Persons are disrespectful idiots."
    Haha... No kidding.

Every aging generation is certain younger people are going to be the ruination of everything.

8. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Haha... No kidding.

Every aging generation is certain younger people are going to be the ruination of everything.
    Juvenoia. A video VSauce made about it a while back. Pretty much has happened since the beginning of time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0x7ho_IYc

9. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Haha... No kidding.

I've been yelling at those kids to get off my grass for 56 years.... And I'm only 55.

10. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

As more people turn inward more of the time into their own world of individual interests (via their electronic devices mostly), then when they actually have to engage face-to-face with other people and external circumstances they are not very good at it.

11. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Where are those old politics threads and their polite, respectful and cheerful banter?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Where are those old politics threads and their polite, respectful and cheerful banter?
    Surely, you jest!

Boy, that's the truth. I rarely get to talk with the kids that isn't done via text messages.

The younger generations certainly communicate differently which can be a challenge especially if you have hard time adapting. The value of face to face, voice to voice communication is critical but it's also harder for people not to mention much more time consuming. Personally I'm a lot more efficient mixing in different types. Older folks always want to talk but it's not always practical to have slow & long conversations about everything. We live in a fast world.

I also think that a lot of people are just fed up in general with the country as it is today and direction we are going. Politics is a horror show, we are completely broke as a country, inflation is very alive & well and much higher than highly manipulated data for the majority of us. People are broke, can't afford the cost of living, see the american dream as out of reach and the country going down the drain via a number of issues. People are fed up and dealing with a lot of issues. which I'm sure contribute to being rude/crude/short/whatever you want to call it.

That said we are still in OK and very fortunate. People are very nice here compared to elsewhere. All the folks moving in from out of state think it's a dream here. Funny how times have changed.

15. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    That said we are still in OK and very fortunate. People are very nice here compared to elsewhere.
    We notice this and are grateful for it each time we travel out of state.

16. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

To play Devil's Advocate here.... My girlfriend was in NYC in December and she commented on how friendly and helpful everyone she interacted with there was.

Personally I don't notice it from people in face to face interactions.... It's the anonymous interactions like driving or social media.

I was walking at Scissortail this weekend along with a zillion other people. At one of the street intersections, a car stops for a red light. With their windows down, they had their stereo system fully open. The song which the car driver wanted everyone within four blocks to hear contained language that was absolutely extremely demeaning toward women and almost every other word, excessive profanity. Within a minute or so, the crowd around that intersection could testify how as a culture, crudeness has flourished. It's highly unlikely the lyrics we heard would have been so public and brashly announced 40 years ago. It's unfortunate, even a public setting, crudeness and profanity, have no bounds.

18. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

It's infiltrating mainstream media with references to "f***" and "s**t" becoming common. I've had this discussion with my son several times about common decency where his argument is "well, everyone says it so why not just print it? It's just a word!"

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I was walking at Scissortail this weekend along with a zillion other people. At one of the street intersections, a car stops for a red light. With their windows down, they had their stereo system fully open. The song which the car driver wanted everyone within four blocks to hear contained language that was absolutely extremely demeaning toward women and almost every other word, excessive profanity. Within a minute or so, the crowd around that intersection could testify how as a culture, crudeness has flourished. It's highly unlikely the lyrics we heard would have been so public and brashly announced 40 years ago. It's unfortunate, even a public setting, crudeness and profanity, have no bounds.
    Actually, that kind of thing *was* happening 40 years ago, I was in my senior year in high school then and we all were blasting all kinds of music in our cars then, including crudeness and profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Actually, that kind of thing *was* happening 40 years ago, I was in my senior year in high school then and we all were blasting all kinds of music in our cars then, including crudeness and profanity.
    I hope the young girls, which were nearby at Scissortail during this moment, won't be treated the way the lyrics were being placed in public. Shameful at best. Crude and rude.

21. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    To play Devil's Advocate here.... My girlfriend was in NYC in December and she commented on how friendly and helpful everyone she interacted with there was.

Personally I don't notice it from people in face to face interactions.... It's the anonymous interactions like driving or social media.
    Yes, it's not 100%, for sure. In fact we were in San Francisco early last month on business and everyone there was super friendly, so much so that we commented on it as being a nice surprise for such a big city. But we have found that compared to the east coast, even big city west coast face to face interaction is friendlier than the same interactions on the east coast.

I hate to say this but I lived in California for 25 years and I quickly realized the people there were every bit as friendly and nice.

Especially if you buy a house and are not transient. My neighborhood had a 4th of July Block Party, a really good neighborhood watch, and a great relationship with the small neighboring college. If anything, people there are outside way more and that makes it easy to interact.

Every neighbor I've met since buying my house here has been down to me making the effort.

I think people in the U.S. are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Blog Entries

I hate to say this but I lived in California for 25 years and I quickly realized the people there were every bit as friendly and nice.

Especially if you buy a house and are not transient. My neighborhood had a 4th of July Block Party, a really good neighborhood watch, and a great relationship with the small neighboring college. If anything, people there are outside way more and that makes it easy to interact.

Every neighbor I've met since buying my house here has been down to me making the effort.

Amen.

Funny you mention that, when I visit family out in Southern California I know exactly what you are talking about when you mentioned being outside more. In the neighborhood I stay in there in Southern California, they have food trucks at the neighborhood park once a week and it’s always pretty busy. It’s my tradition to go at least once each visit and I’ve had excellent food and interacted with the locals, who have always been so nice. Ran into nice people throughout the greater LA area.

It does help being outside when there’s little humidity, light winds and not many bugs! We have those days here but alas not enough. Had the window open at night and my relatives mention they only need the AC a few times a year.

Neighbors Night Out in Sep really helps with meeting people in your neighborhood, we try to go every year and there are always a few new people.

Thread Information