Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

1. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Neighbors Night Out in Sep really helps with meeting people in your neighborhood, we try to go every year and there are always a few new people.
    +1

Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Every neighbor I've met since buying my house here has been down to me making the effort....
    I try to catch you outside but timing is never there. One of these days!

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, but I don't think it's necessarily BECAUSE of social media, but social media hasn't helped that people have been more rude/crude/in-your-face. My counterpart at work has recently been absolutely awful to pretty much everyone to the point I was about to abandon my workplace of 16 years. Luckily he's now in HR's hands, but it's crazy how wild people have become over the last ten years or so.

Old people have been complaining about young people's manners and culture for centuries, a tale as old as time. I don't think this generation is any worse or better than the ones before it or the ones that will come after.

4. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Old people have been complaining about young people's manners and culture for centuries, a tale as old as time. I don't think this generation is any worse or better than the ones before it or the ones that will come after.
    This is very much true. In my experience as a young person, what I've seen is that there are lots of older people who draw out and highlight immaturity in people younger than them and generalizing a whole generation. Of course it's validating to degrade someone to uplift yourself. I think if you truly don't like how young people tend to act then why are you complaining and tearing them down instead of guiding the younger generation?

5. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

I don't feel the OP was generalizing this behavior to a certain generation as much as to society in general at this point in time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    This is very much true. In my experience as a young person, what I've seen is that there are lots of older people who draw out and highlight immaturity in people younger than them and generalizing a whole generation. Of course it's validating to degrade someone to uplift yourself. I think if you truly don't like how young people tend to act then why are you complaining and tearing them down instead of guiding the younger generation?
    Being young is neither an excuse or a pass on bad behavior and being older isn't an excuse or pass on being judgmental. Guiding by anyone requires the other to be open to guidance. Sometimes the immaturity is the elephant in the room.

7. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Being young is neither an excuse or a pass on bad behavior and being older isn't an excuse or pass on being judgmental. Guiding by anyone requires the other to be open to guidance. Sometimes the immaturity is the elephant in the room.
    Of course

What I have noticed is you can't have your own opinion anymore and if you do your wrong. Before people didn't care. Now OMG how can you say that and they will give you a thousand reasons why your wrong and try to convince you of their way of thinking. Example If Chick-fil-a wants to give money to anti gay groups so be it. That's is their right. I don't have to agree with them. Either I don't go and support their business or I say it's their right to think that and all I want is a chicken sandwich. That's it nothing more nothing less about it but people will carry on about it and make a major deal about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    What I have noticed is you can't have your own opinion anymore and if you do your wrong. Before people didn't care. Now OMG how can you say that and they will give you a thousand reasons why your wrong and try to convince you of their way of thinking. Example If Chick-fil-a wants to give money to anti gay groups so be it. That's is their right. I don't have to agree with them. Either I don't go and support their business or I say it's their right to think that and all I want is a chicken sandwich. That's it nothing more nothing less about it but people will carry on about it and make a major deal about it.
    Yes, it bothers some that there are hate groups out there. So, they advocate against anti hate and that is their right too. When hate advocates threaten or endanger others, or cause discrimination there will be others who speak up against it. Thinking something or having an opinion and advocating are two different things.

There are some amusing comments on here.
    I’ll tell you what the problem is. Young whippersnappers! No drive. Afraid of work. When I tell them I had a 1967 chevelle and a 2 bedroom house while working part time at wonder bread downtown. All they’ve got is excuses and “ok Boomer”

11. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Yes, it bothers some that there are hate groups out there. So, they advocate against anti hate and that is their right too. When hate advocates threaten or endanger others, or cause discrimination there will be others who speak up against it. Thinking something or having an opinion and advocating are two different things.
    Agreed. Simply because a person or business takes a certain action that doesn't support another group, organization or cause does not necessarily equate to hate. Automatically jumping to using the term "hate group" for an organization you don't support is, in and of itself, a form of hate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Agreed. Simply because a person or business takes a certain action that doesn't support another group, organization or cause does not necessarily equate to hate. Automatically jumping to using the term "hate group" for an organization you don't support is, in and of itself, a form of hate.
    The false equivalency is a common tactic used to diminish real problems and people that are the target.

Groups that advocate adverse and harmful actions against groups merely because of who they are born as is exhibiting hateful behavior and are hate groups. Believe what you believe... great. But to go try to create problems for others based on your own opinions is egregious. When opinion turns to harmful advocacy, it is hateful. Targeting groups based on political or religious beliefs are a gross abuse of free speech and an attack on moral civility. Identifying those advocates as hate groups is not hate, it is putting light on them for what they are.

13. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

The false equivalency is a common tactic used to diminish real problems and people that are the target.

Groups that advocate adverse and harmful actions against groups merely because of who they are born as is exhibiting hateful behavior and are hate groups. Believe what you believe... great. But to go try to create problems for others based on your own opinions is egregious. When opinion turns to harmful advocacy, it is hateful. Targeting groups based on political or religious beliefs are a gross abuse of free speech and an attack on moral civility. Identifying those advocates as hate groups is not hate, it is putting light on them for what they are.
    Adverse (depending on your definition) and harmful acts vs. simply not agreeing with, and/or not supporting are two very different things. I don't think any of us have any patience for individuals/groups advocating harm to just about anyone.

People who knee-jerk react to someone who disagrees with them or has a different opinion by going straight to personal attacks or casting ridiculous extreme narratives are, themselves expressing hate. That is something that has exploded in the age of social media. You can see it every day where character assassination comes before discussion.

speaking of false equivalency ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    speaking of false equivalency ..
    Do you know what false equivalency even means? Your response indicates not.

16. Default Re: Rude and crude: temporary or permanent?

Yeah, l think he does because you used it yourself in your post. I was going to bring it up as well as you contradicting yourself, but decided not to. Moving on......

Blog Entries

And you guys just keep proving my point. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I hate to say this but I lived in California for 25 years and I quickly realized the people there were every bit as friendly and nice.

Especially if you buy a house and are not transient. My neighborhood had a 4th of July Block Party, a really good neighborhood watch, and a great relationship with the small neighboring college. If anything, people there are outside way more and that makes it easy to interact.

Every neighbor I've met since buying my house here has been down to me making the effort.

I think people in the U.S. are pretty much the same everywhere you go.
    Correct. And not to disparage the home state I love as there are many kind and friendly people here, but a lot of people here are fake nice. Just an observation.

True, however there has been no other point in human history where we had this much change in daily living due to technology. It affects everyone, but the young are at least perceived to adopt to it quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Correct. And not to disparage the home state I love as there are many kind and friendly people here, but a lot of people here are fake nice. Just an observation.
    This is so true.

Thread Information