Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    You can see on the air temperature map and visible satellite where the most snowfall occurred.

Wichita Mountains for the win! I would love to see some pics from down there

2. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Wichita Mountains for the win! I would love to see some pics from down there
    Glad they kept it down there!

It looks like the next 2 weeks should be dry, generally warmer than normal, and sunny.

Still plenty of winter to go but thus far, we've been lucky this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It looks like the next 2 weeks should be dry, generally warmer than normal, and sunny.

Still plenty of winter to go but thus far, we've been lucky this season.
    El Nino years have produced some big March snowstorms in Oklahoma. 2009-10 and 1994-96 all had March snows of 5"+. Statistically though if you make it to the end of February the likelihood goes way down and by mid-March it's full-on spring.

Quick shot of cold air on Friday and (especially) Saturday, but ridging will quickly build back in thereafter with dry and above-normal conditions being the rule for much of the latter half of February. Still thinking we should get one more good shot of cold air and accompanying winter precipitation chances sometime during the first half of March, but it feels pretty safe to say that we have seen the worst of winter at this point, especially since any snow/ice that falls in March tends to melt in a hurry.

6. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Quick shot of cold air on Friday and (especially) Saturday, but ridging will quickly build back in thereafter with dry and above-normal conditions being the rule for much of the latter half of February. Still thinking we should get one more good shot of cold air and accompanying winter precipitation chances sometime during the first half of March, but it feels pretty safe to say that we have seen the worst of winter at this point, especially since any snow/ice that falls in March tends to melt in a hurry.
    My hopes have never been higher.

Classic winter-spring transition in OK where weekdays are beautiful and weekends suck.

8. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Classic winter-spring transition in OK where weekdays are beautiful and weekends suck.
    True. But at least I can drive the Miata during the week to work.

Good news for spring lovers - other than this Saturday which will be chilly with north winds and highs in the 40's, the next two weeks looks really nice. Sunshine, highs in the 60's, lows in the 40's. Only one day in the next 14 where the low even dips below freezing (high 20's this weekend). Expect to see blooming trees over the next few weeks. Next meaningful chance of rain not until around 3/1 when a more active pattern begins

The state is going to dry out over the next two weeks which will raise fire concerns but compared to last year we are in much better shape with most areas at or above normal precip:

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The state is going to dry out over the next two weeks which will raise fire concerns but compared to last year we are in much better shape with most areas at or above normal precip:
    as of last week ( before the rain and snow) only 7.18% of the State was in a drought ...

1 year ago 84.95% of the State was in a drought ..

even more importantly only 1.36% is severe drought and nothing worse then that 1 year ago 79.25 in Severe 56.20 in Extreme and 11.27 in Exceptional Drought ..

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I drove home from Edmond last night just after halftime of the Super Bowl and it was a straight-out blizzard for the entire 25-minute drive.

None of it was sticking on the roads (or so it seemed) but pretty low visibility and when I got to the infamous I-44 curve near Penn Square I made sure no other cars or semis were anywhere near me. I should have probably exited earlier and taken side streets. That stretch is harrowing on a good day.
    You got somewhat of a hint of how much worse nightmarish it can be when the roads are covered in snow, night, and a blizzard. In other words, a total whiteout. I been through that before on I-35 and when I finally got to my destination, I told myself I'll never do that again and haven't.

Dry, sunny and windy all week. Warm with highs in the 60’s and 70’s. Next chance of rain around 2/27-28.

14. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    You got somewhat of a hint of how much worse nightmarish it can be when the roads are covered in snow, night, and a blizzard. In other words, a total whiteout. I been through that before on I-35 and when I finally got to my destination, I told myself I'll never do that again and haven't.
    I just read these. Not snow but a buddy and I left Ralston at around 5pm the night of the Bedlam Ice Bowl. We got home around 11. Should have just stayed somewhere but we were 20ish and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    as of last week ( before the rain and snow) only 7.18% of the State was in a drought ...

1 year ago 84.95% of the State was in a drought ..

even more importantly only 1.36% is severe drought and nothing worse then that 1 year ago 79.25 in Severe 56.20 in Extreme and 11.27 in Exceptional Drought ..

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?OK
    update from last Thursday

only 3.23% of the state is in drought .. only .19% is in moderate ..

16. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Oops. I forgot to turn my rain guage upside down for winter. It's in shards on the ground.

Any chances for a surprise March 2024 snowfall?

18. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I just read these. Not snow but a buddy and I left Ralston at around 5pm the night of the Bedlam Ice Bowl. We got home around 11. Should have just stayed somewhere but we were 20ish and stupid.
    Don’t be too hard on yourself. That same night my dad - then 45 at the time - drove my teenaged self back home to Wichita from a family Thanksgiving in Broken Arrow. I still remember how white-knuckled the driving was, juxtaposed with listening to the game in the radio of our ‘76 Scout. Dad was mad at himself in retrospect, but back then there was really no way to know it would be that bad. It took FOREVER.

Late spring temps today.

20. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Any chances for a surprise March 2024 snowfall?
    Probably not. But I've set up for the auto shows at the fairgrounds driving golf carts through snow between buildings in March a few years. I've also ridden the Redbud Classic in April dodging patches of ice. So you never know.

[QUOTE=Brett;1259360]Any chances for a surprise March 2024 snowfall?[/QUOTE

We might get snow in March the better question is, at this point, will it stick. 70's again next week. Ground Temps are probably extremely warm at this point. So it would have to take a monster storm with tons of cold air to get anything on the ground. Our ground temps are probably even much warmer than the storm a couple weeks ago.

The next big storm system now looks like it will pass through OK on Wednesday. The last few model runs have pushed most of the rain/storms east but there is still a chance for eastern OK Wednesday into Thursday. Also a chance of severe weather with any storms that form so will watch to see if this changes. Otherwise dry and warm weather continues until after the front moves through late next week.

Dry and very warm the next three days. Record highs possible on Tuesday. Cold and windy on Wednesday then back to warm by Friday. The jet stream position is not good for any rainfall in OK but that could change the first week of March

Some large wildfires in the Texas Panhandle today. That threat will unfortunately shift into our area tomorrow.

Was today a record high for day and maybe even February?

Thread Information