Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Saying there can be a snow storm on Sunday is fine. Posting snow fall totals 4 days out only happens in Oklahoma. It's kind of stupid. No other tv market hypes like OKC does. Schools will start closing for Monday when there might be no reason too. I'm sure there are people that are cancelling plans already for Sunday. So it does matter. I have seen it happen before.
    Yep, nowhere else in the country do they estimate rain or snow totals 4 days in advance...I know this to be 100% false because they literally JUST did this in Sacramento this past week about snow near Tahoe. Forecasting 5 days out that there would be 36' of snow or more.

OKC hypes up weather more because we have, on average, some of the most extreme weather in America. Sure, it goes overboard. But saying it only happens here is blatantly asinine and categorically and undeniably false.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Yep, nowhere else in the country do they estimate rain or snow totals 4 days in advance...I know this to be 100% false because they literally JUST did this in Sacramento this past week about snow near Tahoe. Forecasting 5 days out that there would be 36' of snow or more.

OKC hypes up weather more because we have, on average, some of the most extreme weather in America. Sure, it goes overboard. But saying it only happens here is blatantly asinine and categorically and undeniably false.
    Ok I'll give you that much but much easier to forecast snow in places that get snow like the mountains than in central Oklahoma. One of the tv Mets even went as far as saying the zone from rain changing to snow looks to be between 2 and 3 on Sunday. Really? We can get that detailed already. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK

Ok I'll give you that much but much easier to forecast snow in places that get snow like the mountains and says it will get over 3 feet of snow than in central Oklahoma and call for 2-4 inches. TOALLY DIFFERENT. One of the tv Mets even went as far as saying the zone from rain changing to snow looks to be between 2 and 3 on Sunday. Really? We can get that detailed already. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK

I got one. There will be Lake Effect snow in December in Buffalo.

Rain/snow line is going to be really close to the Metro. Slight track changes will make a huge difference. NWS hinting at 2-4 for parts of Oklahoma but they really won't give totals until 48 hours which I wish our media would do also but whatever.

News9 showed 2-4" for the metro, as a conservative snowfall forecast, this morning on their 5am telecast.

A hybrid of the main models places a swath of over a foot of snow in some areas. The bullseye consensus is currently across NW OK. However, the temperature gradient could be extremely sharp to the SE and be the difference between a cold rain at 36F or heavy snow banding inside the low's deformation zone.

Just wondering if that is a typo, and you meant 36 inches or was the forecast really 36 feet?!

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Just wondering if that is a typo, and you meant 36 inches or was the forecast really 36 feet?!
    I did. 3 feel of snow. My bad.

Forecasting 5 days out that there would be 36' of snow or more.

When did Aaron Tuttle move to Sacramento?

10. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I'm guessing a lot of snow but with the temps minimal sticking?

Western Oklahoma Is going to get dumped. Might be NW Oklahoma. There will be some heavy totals in the state. Metro still way too many questions to give totals. When does it change to snow? How long does it stay a rain snow mixed? Does it stay all rain? How much of the dry slot works in? If it is snow how much melts cause some of it will? To the post above the road should stay fine all day Sunday maybe after it gets dark or Monday morning might there be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    When did Aaron Tuttle move to Sacramento?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Western Oklahoma Is going to get dumped. Might be NW Oklahoma. There will be some heavy totals in the state. Metro still way too many questions to give totals. When does it change to snow? How long does it stay a rain snow mixed? Does it stay all rain? How much of the dry slot works in? If it is snow how much melts cause some of it will? To the post above the road should stay fine all day Sunday maybe after it gets dark or Monday morning might there be problems.
    I think you’re blowing this out of proportion. It’s been really warm, and the forecast for that weather event is barely touching mid-30’s on the low side. It might snow, but I’m willing to bet it’s extremely low accumulations.

I would give Northwest and West-Central Oklahoma a fairly good shot at 4+” accumulations. Still a highly uncertain forecast for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I would give Northwest and West-Central Oklahoma a fairly good shot at 4+” accumulations. Still a highly uncertain forecast for OKC.
    The models are not handling the barely-freezing temps and relatively warm ground very well. Hence why the CMC model is still showing a FOOT of snow in the OKC metro. I think it will realistically be 1-2" of wet snow on trees and grass with some higher accumulations likely in NW OK

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The models are not handling the barely-freezing temps and relatively warm ground very well. Hence why the CMC model is still showing a FOOT of snow in the OKC metro. I think it will realistically be 1-2" of wet snow on trees and grass with some higher accumulations likely in NW OK
    where can we find ground temp data?

Surely there have been studies done correlating the ground temp to accumulations

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    where can we find ground temp data?

Surely there have been studies done correlating the ground temp to accumulations
    These temps will increase before the snow moves in

I think snow-to-liquid ratios are also likely going to be noticeably less than 10:1 for this event.

19. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I'm terrible at posting pictures but the 18z GFS is showing an inch or two in central OK. We won't really have a good handle until Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm terrible at posting pictures but the 18z GFS is showing an inch or two in central OK. We won't really have a good handle until Saturday afternoon.
    Sure won't. KOCO has 1-2 News 9 is 2-4 not sure what KFOR has I think 2-4 also but way too early . NWS might put out totals late tomorrow so key an eye out for that.

This morning the forecast models are diving the low to track much further south, which would make this a mostly rain event except for far W OK and into NW TX. Perhaps OKC could get a quick burst of heavy wet snow on the tail-end of the wrap-around. But snow in C OK is looking less likely today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This morning the forecast models are diving the low to track much further south, which would make this a mostly rain event except for far W OK and into NW TX. Perhaps OKC could get a quick burst of heavy wet snow on the tail-end of the wrap-around. But snow in C OK is looking less likely today.
    pretty sure anyone with any common sense could see this coming

23. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Happened to watch News9 this morning. They are all on board for mostly a cold rain with minimal travel impacts. Good news there.

^

Especially with it being Super Bowl Sunday and lots of people going to parties late Sunday afternoon and evening.

I'll be one of them.

Boo

Thread Information