Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Streets/traffic/roads

Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    That's it, let's all ride horses everywhere we go.
    I mean, sitting on 2nd Street/Edmond Road and stopping at every single light between Bryant and Kelly...and you see the person on the bike breeze on by on the sidewalk.

Edmond traffic feels like the opening scene to "Office Space."

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    The OKC metro sprawls. That's nothing new. Land is plenty so we build out and not up.

That being said, I've expressed on here before the futility of it. People move out from the city to get away from it all. Strip centers and fast food is built to these outliers so as to be more convenient. Before you know it, what you were trying to get away from has followed you. So people move out even further and it follows them again. Meanwhile the new area of 20 years ago gets left and run down.
    I think you would enjoy this in regards to suburbia expansion:

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    While I do not condone anyone assaulting you or your property in that manner you have described. Oklahoma City and many other cities in the United States have been sprawling for the better part of a century. You do not have a guaranteed right to not have other property owners develop their land as they see fit. If you want your own private oasis away from it all you kind of have to pay for it (buy up surrounding land) or move out further into to the actual rural areas of the state. It is not convenient and I understand your frustration, however we live in the world that is and not the world that we want it to be.
    I am on 10 ac. Sure I should have tried to buy a few more ac. but there is no way I could afford to buy up the whole east side. At the time I bought my land and built I was told that it would only grow to me say 5 ac lots and would remain rural. Now what is an older retired lady subpost to do??? Moving takes alot of work and effort and not easy as you get older. Just try to find a horse property with fruit trees that produce and less then 1 mill is not going to happen unless you are way way out from everything.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think you would enjoy this in regards to suburbia expansion:
    Some decent points and info in the video. However, I feel the points could've had better impact had he not used up time to take little potshots at US citizens.

MuRicAnS tWo dUM too Do mEtRiC.

Yeah, because dividing by ten is so difficult. It smacks of inferiority.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Some decent points and info in the video. However, I feel the points could've had better impact had he not used up time to take little potshots at US citizens.

MuRicAnS tWo dUM too Do mEtRiC.

Yeah, because dividing by ten is so difficult. It smacks of inferiority.
    I've always found that the best way to reason with people and make them reconsider their stance on things is to mock and belittle their intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I've always found that the best way to reason with people and make them reconsider their stance on things is to mock and belittle their intelligence.
    He also took whatever little opportunities he had to promote Canada (his home) over the US. He said Canadian cities are better with finances than US cities. When your entire country has a smaller population than the state of California, it makes a difference. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Still, the math doesn't lie. Pretty sure the same analysis of OKC and its sprawling 600+ square miles would be pretty ugly for such a "fiscally responsible" place.

Thread Information