Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Streets/traffic/roads

1. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

^^^^^

!!!!

Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I think Edmond could function just fine with about half as many traffic lights.
    Edmond would function a LOT better with half the curb cuts. I understand the frustration traffic lights cause but curb cuts cause a massive amount of slow downs that would be unnecessary if reconfigured.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Edmond would function a LOT better with half the curb cuts. I understand the frustration traffic lights cause but curb cuts cause a massive amount of slow downs that would be unnecessary if reconfigured.
    What exactly are you meaning by 'curb cuts?' Are you talking about the curb being cut for parking lots or businesses? Or cuts made at intersections for crosswalks? I guess I'm not following.

What exactly are you meaning by 'curb cuts?' Are you talking about the curb being cut for parking lots or businesses? Or cuts made at intersections for crosswalks? I guess I'm not following.
    Businesses. Crosswalks are mandatory. But the unending curb cuts for individual businesses back to back to back kills traffic.

Example, look at 2nd and Coltrane and just to the west. In 1/2 mile to the west, you have Vista Ln, Davision's Greenhouse, Pub W complex, Primrose School entrance, Wade Martin Rd, Meineke Car Care Center, Church In Edmond entrance, Single Family home driveway, SureStay Plus Best Western, Eddies and then Coltrane.

Vista Ln and Coltrane are the only ones that are "mandatory" and almost all the rest could be accessed differently if they were designed differently through the planning commission / City Council. Now I know there is very little chance of anything happening to any area that is already established but you find these types of situations all over Edmond and this was just one particular 1/2 mile section that honestly isn't all that built out yet.

Just take a look at the one mentioned above and from Vista to Bryant. Both sides of the road are cluttered with curb cuts that if you cut half of them out would not impact a single business and would provide additional space.

Example, look at 2nd and Coltrane and just to the west. In 1/2 mile to the west, you have Vista Ln, Davision's Greenhouse, Pub W complex, Primrose School entrance, Wade Martin Rd, Meineke Car Care Center, Church In Edmond entrance, Single Family home driveway, SureStay Plus Best Western, Eddies and then Coltrane.

Vista Ln and Coltrane are the only ones that are "mandatory" and almost all the rest could be accessed differently if they were designed differently through the planning commission / City Council. Now I know there is very little chance of anything happening to any area that is already established but you find these types of situations all over Edmond and this was just one particular 1/2 mile section that honestly isn't all that built out yet.

Just take a look at the one mentioned above and from Vista to Bryant. Both sides of the road are cluttered with curb cuts that if you cut half of them out would not impact a single business and would provide additional space.
    how could they be accessed "differently"

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    how could they be accessed "differently"
    The Eddies could be accessed better from Coltrane than 2nd. Same for the Best Western if they put in an access road. Both Daily Living Center and Meineke could be accessed from Wade Martin.

The point is, all of the curb cuts cause disruption to the flow of traffic and if planned better initially, could prevent a lot of issues. It shouldn't take 30-40 minutes to drive from West Edmond to East or East to West but it does unless you take the turnpike which is at the southern point of town.

The Eddies could be accessed better from Coltrane than 2nd. Same for the Best Western if they put in an access road. Both Daily Living Center and Meineke could be accessed from Wade Martin.

The point is, all of the curb cuts cause disruption to the flow of traffic and if planned better initially, could prevent a lot of issues. It shouldn't take 30-40 minutes to drive from West Edmond to East or East to West but it does unless you take the turnpike which is at the southern point of town.
    2nd street is a city street not an expressway .. it is designed appropriately ..

Not efficiently.

10. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    2nd street is a city street not an expressway .. it is designed appropriately ..
    If you drive suburban main arteries in many cities, there is a notable limit in how frequently there are curb cuts and distances from a main intersection to the first curb cut. Older streets are like May Ave, SW 29th or 2nd but newer main arteries limit cuts and setbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If you drive suburban main arteries in many cities, there is a notable limit in how frequently there are curb cuts and distances from a main intersection to the first curb cut. Older streets are like May Ave, SW 29th or 2nd but newer main arteries limit cuts and setbacks.
    Can you give an example in another city of a suburban main artery done correctly?

I see that there is probably some merit to this thought, however, I still feel like having way too many stoplights carries more of the burden of it taking 30 minutes to get from east Edmond to west Edmond. Even if the curb cuts were reduced, we're still sitting and waiting at all of these lights. Waiting for them to turn green only to be stopped again in a few hundred yards.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Can you give an example in another city of a suburban main artery done correctly? Maybe give a crossroad in a city that I can look at on streetview. Or two.

I see that there is probably some merit to this thought, however, I still feel like having way too many stoplights carries more of the burden of it taking 30 minutes to get from east Edmond to west Edmond. Even if the curb cuts were reduced, we're still sitting and waiting at all of these lights. Waiting for them to turn green only to be stopped again in a few hundred yards.

I think the city should have an employee and all they do is drive the roads and make note of terrible light timing and things that don't make sense. Traffic is a big part of quality of life and it seems like a lot of aggravation could be avoided with relative ease.

As for the biggest project that needs done in OKC I think it is the i40 i44 interchange (i40 east and west) where the lane goes down to 2 lanes. It needs to be expanded. I don't know how you do it and it will be a traffic nightmare but it needs to be done soon

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    I think the city should have an employee and all they do is drive the roads and make note of terrible light timing and things that don't make sense. Traffic is a big part of quality of life and it seems like a lot of aggravation could be avoided with relative ease.

As for the biggest project that needs done in OKC I think it is the i40 i44 interchange (i40 east and west) where the lane goes down to 2 lanes. It needs to be expanded. I don't know how you do it and it will be a traffic nightmare but it needs to be done soon
    I40 over 44 and over portland starts this summer ..

15. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post

The city has lots of employees that have to get to work and back home. Or work all day driving on city streets to do their jobs. I would think that if the city wanted drivers opinions they have a great pool to draw comments from on their payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The city has lots of employees that have to get to work and back home. Or work all day driving on city streets to do their jobs. I would think that if the city wanted drivers opinions they have a great pool to draw comments from on their payroll.
    They (Edmond *and* OKC) should have some kind of program for certain departments (streets, utilities, traffic, etc.) to have a separate phone/tablet and to note bad traffic light timing, potholes, street lights that are out, etc. Us residents shouldn't have to notify the city of all their problems all over the city all the time.

17. Default Re: Streets/traffic/roads

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    They (Edmond *and* OKC) should have some kind of program for certain departments (streets, utilities, traffic, etc.) to have a separate phone/tablet and to note bad traffic light timing, potholes, street lights that are out, etc. Us residents shouldn't have to notify the city of all their problems all over the city all the time.
    I agree completely but I'm holding my breath.

I wonder if Edmond or OKC are partners with Waze. I have reported potholes on Waze and they have been filled fairly quickly.

https://www.waze.com/wazeforcities/

I have a friend who has been an Edmond rabble-rouser the past couple years, and I recall him telling me a few months ago that Edmond has the cameras, and other technology to monitor traffic 24/7. He mentioned that Edmond does not want to use the "flow" signal control method (allowing signals to be coordinated in such a manner that people could drive several miles at the speed limit), rather it uses the "herd" method (which makes drivers catch red light after red light). Edmond is focused on a fear of speeding in the city limits.

Now, I have no idea if any of this is true. Just parroting what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I have a friend who has been an Edmond rabble-rouser the past couple years, and I recall him telling me a few months ago that Edmond has the cameras, and other technology to monitor traffic 24/7. He mentioned that Edmond does not want to use the "flow" signal control method (allowing signals to be coordinated in such a manner that people could drive several miles at the speed limit), rather it uses the "herd" method (which makes drivers catch red light after red light). Edmond is focused on a fear of speeding in the city limits.

if true, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
    Probably more accidents from road rage than going a few mph over the speed limit.
    If that was really the case, just lower the posted speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

I think this has to be true. Just driving in Edmond for any length of time tells you that's what they're doing.

So instead of incentivizing speed limit obedience they're actually making people speed and run red lights because of how they choose to do it. People speed off when their light turns green because they wanna catch that green they see 200 yards down the road but they don't catch it and run it anyway. Edmond is courting danger more than anything with their method.

I think Edmond could function just fine with about half as many traffic lights.
    Agree... this won't be popular but ROUNDABOUTS would solve this. Traffic just flows better. We've used them across the US and in Europe. People either learn to use them, or avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by MelOK View Post
    Agree... this won't be popular but ROUNDABOUTS would solve this. Traffic just flows better. We've used them across the US and in Europe. People either learn to use them, or avoid them.
    Yeah, I don't know where roundabouts got this reputation for only being able to be navigated by geniuses and Europeans. Or genius Europeans.

There's a roundabout in Seminole, OK. If the rubes in Seminole can figure it out, then I think the rubes in Edmond might be able to figure it out too. You don't have to be a graduate of Oxford to be able to use a roundabout.

Yeah, I don't know where roundabouts got this reputation for only being able to be navigated by geniuses and Europeans. Or genius Europeans.

There's a roundabout in Seminole, OK. If the rubes in Seminole can figure it out, then I think the rubes in Edmond might be able to figure it out too. You don't have to be a graduate of Oxford to be able to use a roundabout.
    Just because they have them doesn't mean they know how to use them. I am surprised by the number of people that come to a full stop at walker and 10th when there is no traffic in circle. However, Hays Kansas has 4 of them in a row and most people seem to know how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Just because they have them doesn't mean they know how to use them. I am surprised by the number of people that come to a full stop at walker and 10th when there is no traffic in circle. However, Hays Kansas has 4 of them in a row and most people seem to know how to use them.
    seems like 10th and shartel is even worse ..

and both of those have been install for a long long time ..

Thread Information