Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: What would you do with a $1M grant?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The majority would go to this homeless problem we are having

0 0%
  • Put it into Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program

3 21.43%
  • Get ideas from various city leaders

2 14.29%
  • Equipment for the police, fire, EMS and city infrastructure

6 42.86%
  • Other

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Default Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

For the first time in 30 years Moore will have a new mayor. What an epic run Glen Lewis has had!

I haven't seen anyone discussing it here and despite my efforts to drive up the discussion in local FB groups it hasn't proved to be successful. It's a sad reality that so many live in a bubble and don't care. Don't care, don't vote....some (choose) to not even leave their house any more and that's totally fine, that is their right after all. What they will do however is complain online, especially on social media platforms, as if that somehow correlates to going out to vote, contacting a council member, etc.

So, with my little rant aside, what do you think about having a new mayor? What are your thoughts in general as to where a new face of the city should focus first?

EDIT: I included the million-dollar question that was posed to all four city council candidates (two running for mayor), the poll represents their summarized responses. I'm curious what the public thinks.

2. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

I haven't been here long, only 3 years, so i'm not familiar with Mr Lewis' run. But of course, he's seen a LOT in his time.

Personally, i dont see a homeless problem in Moore. I have rarely seen someone that appears to be homeless, walking down the street. For it to be such a top point in your poll, where are you seeing this?

I'm an infrastructure person myself, so here are my wish list items:
    -Moore Roads suck a lot. Anything concrete is awful in Moore. Many 2 lane or weird 3 laners that need to be 4.
    -We need to re-approach how we can get recycling going without asking for a vote of the people to be frank. We need someone to hold Veolia better accountable for their inability to properly track meters
    -We need to have code enforcement better control contractors (like Taber and their subs or other new home construction) as they fail with erosion control/cause a lot of these meter issues, etc.

Unless my head is in the sand, i'm not aware of any needs for Police/Fire that aren't met through normal budgets/bonds. Now if we could fire EMSTAT and get that service integrated with the Fire Department, i think we would all be better off. But that's a pretty big deal. We don't own the fleet like OKC does with EMSA, so we would have to purchase that and construct a way to house them at the stations.

3. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Every time I come home to Moore, I'm struck at how little efforts toward beautification have been done compared to other OKC suburbs. If you go through a new subdivision, there is far less of a future canopy than in similar neighborhoods in Norman or Edmond. When you compare it to the Kansas City or Dallas / Fort Worth suburbs, it's even more striking. I'm so grateful for the investment in a central park and public amenities there, but if you look 20 more years down the line, I'd love to see greater focus on making the city a nicer place for kids to walk to and from school or drive through.

Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Every time I come home to Moore, I'm struck at how little efforts toward beautification have been done compared to other OKC suburbs. If you go through a new subdivision, there is far less of a future canopy than in similar neighborhoods in Norman or Edmond. When you compare it to the Kansas City or Dallas / Fort Worth suburbs, it's even more striking. I'm so grateful for the investment in a central park and public amenities there, but if you look 20 more years down the line, I'd love to see greater focus on making the city a nicer place for kids to walk to and from school or drive through.
    Moore doesn't appear to delve into landscaping requirements for residential areas, they are more concerned with developer requirements on construction aspects. They have been spending a lot of time over the last ten years or so addressing things such as neighborhood roads and water runoff as those have been causing the most issues. I do wish more people planted trees though.

Regarding your last statement about the future for the kids and walkability of the town then you are going to want to research Jeff Arvin and likely vote for him!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I haven't been here long, only 3 years, so i'm not familiar with Mr Lewis' run. But of course, he's seen a LOT in his time.

Personally, i dont see a homeless problem in Moore. I have rarely seen someone that appears to be homeless, walking down the street. For it to be such a top point in your poll, where are you seeing this?

I'm an infrastructure person myself, so here are my wish list items:
    -Moore Roads suck a lot. Anything concrete is awful in Moore. Many 2 lane or weird 3 laners that need to be 4.
    -We need to re-approach how we can get recycling going without asking for a vote of the people to be frank. We need someone to hold Veolia better accountable for their inability to properly track meters
    -We need to have code enforcement better control contractors (like Taber and their subs or other new home construction) as they fail with erosion control/cause a lot of these meter issues, etc.

Unless my head is in the sand, i'm not aware of any needs for Police/Fire that aren't met through normal budgets/bonds. Now if we could fire EMSTAT and get that service integrated with the Fire Department, i think we would all be better off. But that's a pretty big deal. We don't own the fleet like OKC does with EMSA, so we would have to purchase that and construct a way to house them at the stations.
    -There isn't a homeless problem, at least not yet.
    -We just passed the largest, or one of the largest, street bonds ever. The roads need a lot of things addressed and this is a start but we need to do a lot more and we need to start on it YESTERDAY.
    -I have been on board with recycling for ten years now and I have stated this many times, including to the city council, that we need to just implement recycling and incorporate it into the sanitation. The city may need to offset the costs for a year or so but once people get the hang of recycling (and our encouraged to) it will lessen the trash load and it should balance itself out. Four times as many people will participate with a curbside option and as much as 70% of what is thrown away is recyclable. It doesn't take a mathematician to do that math.
    -Hamm's background is in Law Enforcement, he's still a security guard at OCCC, so his bias is there. Could they use more funds? Sure, every part of the city could, but I promise those guys have the best of the best. If they, police or fire, feel they don't have that all they need to do is budget for it or come ask for a special concession, the city will provide if justified!

6. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Well that last statement actually concerns me then. If we have someone that is police focused coming in to be mayor, are they going to have tunnel vision? I don't think we really need to dump a ton more into either service, especially when there are so many other things we could use funding on. Unless there is some pattern of them asking for legitimate needs and not getting them, then I dont think we have an issue. They have proper facilities and vehicles, so we don't really have anything from a capitalized perspective to look at. Plus, bond money can always be used for things like that. The only thing the city should be looking at from a budget side, is if salaries are in-line with surrounding communities of similar size. Again I'm newer here to Moore, so does anyone know if we are in line already? Are there any specific items either group is seeking?

Well that last statement actually concerns me then. If we have someone that is police focused coming in to be mayor, are they going to have tunnel vision? I don't think we really need to dump a ton more into either service, especially when there are so many other things we could use funding on. Unless there is some pattern of them asking for legitimate needs and not getting them, then I dont think we have an issue. They have proper facilities and vehicles, so we don't really have anything from a capitalized perspective to look at. Plus, bond money can always be used for things like that. The only thing the city should be looking at from a budget side, is if salaries are in-line with surrounding communities of similar size. Again I'm newer here to Moore, so does anyone know if we are in line already? Are there any specific items either group is seeking?
    I have known Mark Hamm a lot longer than I have known Jeff Arvin but I'm still voting for Jeff. He's a banker/businessman and has served on a lot of different boards, including several years on (and president of) the Moore Chamber of Commerce. THAT is who we need leading Moore into the future.

I applaud Mark Hamm for the time he's volunteered over the past serving on the city council, that's certainly a thankless job, but that doesn't qualify you to run/lead a city and understand good financial decisions from bad ones.

8. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Does anyone a bio sheet on the candidates? I'm going into this feeling completely unarmed outside of this very conversation. And so far, based on this, i would vote for Jeff Arvin.

Does anyone a bio sheet on the candidates? I'm going into this feeling completely unarmed outside of this very conversation. And so far, based on this, i would vote for Jeff Arvin.
    Mark Hamm is a police corporal at OCCC and wants to replace the cities water lines as well as building a new water tank
    Jeff Arvin on the other hand is the vice chair member of crime stoppers as well as a member of the Central Church of Christ Member.

Got a response from Jeff Arvin and he agrees the aging water and sewer infrastructure needs to be addressed

I listened to both of them talk a week or so ago and I was impressed with both of them. One of my concerns is how is the city going to manage the future growth. We only have so much space and the residential, commercial and industrial growth all needs to be planed carefully. Arvin spoke about that and it's an issue for him too.
    One thing that Mark said that I really liked was that the city has spent a ton of money fixing street in neighborhoods that are less than 10 years old. One of the issues they found is that the materials that the developers use with they lay the roads down is poor quality and will not hold up. So the city changed the requirements for the new roads that developers create to make them last longer and not be a burden on the city as soon as the neighborhood is completed.

12. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

I agree on that. Taber used crap asphalt in our neighborhood. All that heavy truck traffic for construction has been eating them alive. And Moore gets the job to fix them while Taber just walks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I listened to both of them talk a week or so ago and I was impressed with both of them. One of my concerns is how is the city going to manage the future growth. We only have so much space and the residential, commercial and industrial growth all needs to be planed carefully. Arvin spoke about that and it's an issue for him too.
    One thing that Mark said that I really liked was that the city has spent a ton of money fixing street in neighborhoods that are less than 10 years old. One of the issues they found is that the materials that the developers use with they lay the roads down is poor quality and will not hold up. So the city changed the requirements for the new roads that developers create to make them last longer and not be a burden on the city as soon as the neighborhood is completed.
    I've spoken with Brooks (city manager) about this issue specifically about the roads and although they have addressed the issue with the asphalt roads (using a portion of recycled asphalt - which other cities are realizing it's a bad move as well) it's not the sole reason we are seeing premature roadway failures, it's also because it's never been a requirement to pull soil samples and have a determination of how the soil under the road should be prepared, how thick the road should be, etc. This has now been implemented as a requirement going forward.

Here is the bio on Jeff Arvin:
    https://www.mooremonthly.com/meet-je...ate-for-mayor/

Here is the bio on Mark Hamm:
    https://www.mooremonthly.com/meet-ma...ate-for-mayor/

Here's the link to the video of the candidate forum held a few weeks back:
    https://www.facebook.com/1417244567/...3207034441596/

Here is the bio on Jeff Arvin:
    https://www.mooremonthly.com/meet-je...ate-for-mayor/

Here is the bio on Mark Hamm:
    https://www.mooremonthly.com/meet-ma...ate-for-mayor/

Here's the link to the video of the candidate forum held a few weeks back:
    https://www.facebook.com/1417244567/...3207034441596/

The election is TOMORROW!

Get out and go vote (for Jeff Arvin )

I think I am voting for Arvin based on what I heard at the candidate forum.
    However, I am wondering who if financing his campaign? I've been getting 2-3 full color Arvin mailers each week for the last month or so.

18. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

GO OUT AND VOTE TODAY! I was the only person at my polling place this morning at 730. Not really surprised as it's going to be a low turnout, but if you can, please do go vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I think I am voting for Arvin based on what I heard at the candidate forum.
    However, I am wondering who if financing his campaign? I've been getting 2-3 full color Arvin mailers each week for the last month or so.
    You know I didn't ask him. I know he was asked to run for mayor from various acquaintances there in the city but due to their positions, be it if they were current city council, police or fire chiefs, city staff, or just serving on different boards they'd likely prefer to stay anonymous to avoid potential awkward situations going forward if Jeff was to not get elected.

Just a hunch, this is the closest I have followed and/or been involved with a local election before.

GO OUT AND VOTE TODAY! I was the only person at my polling place this morning at 730. Not really surprised as it's going to be a low turnout, but if you can, please do go vote.
    there were a line of us at 0700 this morning but I imagine after the early birds it falls off greatly until lunch and then again until the end of the day. Historically it's always a low voter turnout in non-presidential elections but I really do hope people get out and exercise their right today!

went to my polling place at around 7:45 AM no line

I went around noon and didn't see a lot of names crossed out in the book they use to look you up.

Mark Hamm won but I am not mad either

Me either. They both had some differences of opinion but I think they both could do a decent job. Let's see how we feel the next election cycle.

True, I guess. We'll get a new water tower at least I'm honestly hoping and go put the smile America back on it instead of the boring blue letters

Thread Information