Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: What would you do with a $1M grant?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The majority would go to this homeless problem we are having

0 0%
  • Put it into Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program

3 21.43%
  • Get ideas from various city leaders

2 14.29%
  • Equipment for the police, fire, EMS and city infrastructure

6 42.86%
  • Other

3 21.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Mark Hamm won but I am not mad either
    I'm not mad or upset, just disappointed. We replaced a long-standing mayor with a background in political science and a business owner with a community college police officer whose entire background is in law enforcement over a long-time banker who spent years serving on numerous city boards, including several years as president of the Chamber of Commerce.

These guys do not have the same qualifications in my opinion. I expected to see positive changes under Arvin, I expect to see 'more of the same' that we're used to seeing the past few years where Glenn has been ill/absent under Hamm. I sure hope he proves me wrong!

2. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Welcome to politics. Since when has the more qualified person been the one to get the job? Certainly isn't true in OK politics, or national either.

He is just a mayor after all too. He's not a king, so others (including the council) have a big play in what gets done. So i would focus my efforts on those doing the actual work instead of just the political figurehead.

Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Welcome to politics. Since when has the more qualified person been the one to get the job? Certainly isn't true in OK politics, or national either.

He is just a mayor after all too. He's not a king, so others (including the council) have a big play in what gets done. So i would focus my efforts on those doing the actual work instead of just the political figurehead.
    Very valid point. In fact I have been repeating something similar to others in the aftermath of the results that those of us that are hopeful for betterment going forward need to stay engaged with the city council, and the various other supporting boards to keep those folks accountable and on track. Volunteering where needed, etc. Something I have been pondering doing for years now is to show up to council meetings and "reminding" the council about past issues and obvious upcoming ones that haven't been discussed at council meetings. I'm not sure how beneficial it will be in producing any action but at least I can say I have tried and not just sit around and complain online about inaction.

4. Default Re: Moore is going to have a new mayor in 2024!

Reminding them that there are things the citizens are thinking about, that are not being discussed, is the entire purpose of public comment. So i say, YES! If nothing else, it shows them that people are still remembering these items and remembering that the council did not address them yet. That's not to say there is mal-intent on their part, but sometimes things get pushed for financial reasons or the squeaky wheel from someone in-the-know got greased and they need a reminder that the less squeaky thing still needs to be taken care of.

Servant Leadership doesn't always come from people who hold the actual office.

Thread Information