Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pike Pass

Default Pike Pass

I just bought a new car. I deactivated the old Pike Pass transponder on my previous car.

I know I can get a new sticker or a license plate tag (for $25), but do I need to do either for my new car?

Don't they just read your license plate and bill you? Or is cheaper to get a sticker or tag?

2. Default Re: Pike Pass

^^^^^^^
    Pikepass is cheaper than plate pay.

Default Re: Pike Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Pikepass is cheaper than plate pay.
    Thanks. I'm going to pick up a license tag -- hate those stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    you can also get an inside the window removeable one from pikepass

Yes, if you do not want to use a PIKEPASS Sticker, you may choose to use a PIKEPASS Portable. There is a one-time $25 fee. The Portable uses the same new technology as the Sticker and can be moved between vehicles of the same class that are listed on the account.
    you just have to ask . i also dislike the stickers so that is what i do ..

5. Default Re: Pike Pass

Also you can get the Kansas K-TAG which has no prepaid account money like PikePass (who I assume uses that money to make interest off you). Works in Kansas, OK, TX and Florida.

Interesting information on the transition of Oklahoma Turnpikes to Plate Pay.

https://kfor.com/news/local/ota-proj...growing-pains/

I did not realize that for the turnpikes that have Plate Pay currently implemented, it is significantly more to use Plate Pay than to have a PikePass, (around twice as much!) .
    When it was still a toll booth, PikePass only saved about 10% compared to the normal toll.

If this holds true, I feel horrible for those that would be paying with PlatePay when it is implemented on a frequently used turnpike like the Turner. Based upon the current toll rate, it would be close to $10 on the Turner Turnpike to/from Tulsa to OKC one way compared to the $4.50 a vehicle pays with PikePass.

The Bailey Turnpike from OKC to Lawton that has PlatePay, $3.50 PikePass vs $8.70 PlatePay.

https://pikepass.com/toll/TollCalculator.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Interesting information on the transition of Oklahoma Turnpikes to Plate Pay.

https://kfor.com/news/local/ota-proj...growing-pains/

I did not realize that for the turnpikes that have Plate Pay currently implemented, it is significantly more to use Plate Pay than to have a PikePass, (around twice as much!) .
    When it was still a toll booth, PikePass only saved about 10% compared to the normal toll.

If this holds true, I feel horrible for those that would be paying with PlatePay when it is implemented on a frequently used turnpike like the Turner. Based upon the current toll rate, it would be close to $10 on the Turner Turnpike to/from Tulsa to OKC one way compared to the $4.50 a vehicle pays with PikePass.

The Bailey Turnpike from OKC to Lawton that has PlatePay, $3.50 PikePass vs $8.70 PlatePay.

https://pikepass.com/toll/TollCalculator.aspx
    Wondering if it really costs twice as much for the overhead of sending invoices out via mail vs. charging a PikePass account, or if they're just penalizing PlatePay users in order to try to persuade them to switch to PikePass?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Wondering if it really costs twice as much for the overhead of sending invoices out via mail vs. charging a PikePass account, or if they're just penalizing PlatePay users in order to try to persuade them to switch to PikePass?
    It's for overhead and also to makeup for the loss revenue due to the drivers OTA can't track down or get to pay their bill.

That's also why they are pushing for drivers to get a Pikepass, they instantly know who you are without having an optical reader or human read your license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The new stickers are much smaller, FYI.

Pay by Plate is like 2x the pike pass rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    The new stickers are much smaller, FYI.

Pay by Plate is like 2x the pike pass rate.
    Plus you don't have to get the window tag. There's other kinds of tags.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Plus you don't have to get the window tag. There's other kinds of tags.
    I got one of the smaller rectangular ones that's removable via suction cups (I only put it up if I know I'll be using a turnpike) because I have a MINI Cooper, which has a mini windshield and didn't want a sticker obstructing my vision. Had to call in and talk to a human to get that kind, though.

It's for overhead and also to makeup for the loss revenue due to the drivers OTA can't track down or get to pay their bill.

That's also why they are pushing for drivers to get a Pikepass, they instantly know who you are without having an optical reader or human read your license plate.
    Yes, I know what the extra cost is for, but does it cost *twice* as much for overhead and missing revenue? We'll probably never know...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes, I know what the extra cost is for, but does it cost *twice* as much for overhead and missing revenue? We'll probably never know...
    Especially considering, they doubled the cash price. So they laid off a ton of employees, no longer have to maintain all the toll booths and coin machines, and the cost doubled?

14. Default Re: Pike Pass

It only took them about a week to get me the new sticker when we bought a new car this summer. They're so small now, you hardly notice them.

With all the issues with trailers and tag reading issues, i dont understand why we dont consider using front plates like Texas. Can't block the front plate with a trailer......

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It only took them about a week to get me the new sticker when we bought a new car this summer. They're so small now, you hardly notice them.

With all the issues with trailers and tag reading issues, i dont understand why we dont consider using front plates like Texas. Can't block the front plate with a trailer......
    Oklahoma probably will require front plates in the future. Takes time for Ok lawmakers to take it up and consider it. Would be an extra cost to drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

Front plates are optional in Texas now, not a requirement.

17. Default Re: Pike Pass

I just looked and was really surprised. 29 states require front plates. 21 don't. I didn't think anywhere near that many required front plates.

With the little 1" x 2" sticker placed right in front of the rear view mirror you can't see it from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I just looked and was really surprised. 29 states require front plates. 21 don't. I didn't think anywhere near that many required front plates.

With the little 1" x 2" sticker placed right in front of the rear view mirror you can't see it from the inside.
    That may change for the states with Turnpikes. Cashless is relatively new everywhere.

Oklahoma probably will require front plates in the future. Takes time for Ok lawmakers to take it up and consider it. Would be an extra cost to drivers.
    hopefully Oklahoma NEVER does this ..

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Front plates are optional in Texas now, not a requirement.
    Sure about that? Quick search shows that there is a 200 dollar fine which probably isn't going to get someone to install a front license plate if they don't really want one.

Pete - congrats on the new car! What did you buy? I remember you saying you were going to keep your old Lexus forever! New Lexus LX perhaps???

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Pete - congrats on the new car! What did you buy? I remember you saying you were going to keep your old Lexus forever! New Lexus LX perhaps???
    Had that Lexus RX for 20.5 years!! It was in such great condition, I sold it on Craigslist in an hour.

I bought a Genesis GV70 3.5T. I've been incredibly impressed. Every piece of tech you can imagine and faster in a straight line than my old Boxster S. After driving that Lexus for so long, the Genesis is like a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post

This is exactly what I do, that's why I was surprised that people were opting to do something different. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    This is exactly what I do, that's why I was surprised that people were opting to do something different. To each their own.
    Thanks to all the posts on this thread, I didn't realize the new stickers were so small, so I just ordered one.

The one I had on my old car was a huge eyesore.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Do the new stickers go on the outside of the car? That doesn’t seem to make the most sense.

Thread Information