Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Paseo church

Paseo Former Paseo church

Looks like apartments are being proposed for the lot where the church at 30th and Hudson burned down. I know there have been some re-zoning, and HP, etc. meetings that have taken place but haven't had a chance to look for the results. I think they look good, though I definitely imagine there will be some consternation from nearby neighbors (as I know some who will likely be complaining about the height/size).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.15.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	18558

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.15.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	18559

Paseo Former Paseo church

Default Re: Former Paseo church

28 total units, based on the number of parking spaces? Or possibly 26 with the handicapped spaces as extras.

This is precisely the kind of tasteful density that neighborhood needs.

Just here to give my usual comment.

I hate how half the lot is parking. You could probably cut that parking space into half and place more of the parking in the form of angle parking along NW 30th and Hudson.

This is right in the middle of a residential area.

On-street spaces are public and cannot be dedicated to these residents.

Considering the project would be very near several bars and businesses, as a developer I would not build this project without being able to offer future tenants a dedicated parking space. One time in my life I lived in an apartment where I had to fight for street parking with everyone else and it was an absolute nightmare.

A minimum of one parking space per unit shall be provided. New off-street parking areas
    are to be located behind the building that fronts NW 30th Street. Bike racks shall be
    provided. Construction of parking spaces and associated features shall be subject to review
    and approval of a Certificate of Appropriateness by the Historic Preservation Commission
    according to the applicable Guidelines and regulations.

This is a great project and it brings some much-needed life to Sex Couch Corner.

Is this a Commonworks project?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is right in the middle of a residential area.

On-street spaces are public and cannot be dedicated to these residents.

Considering the project would be very near several bars and businesses, as a developer I would not build this project without being able to offer future tenants a dedicated parking space. One time in my life I lived in an apartment where I had to fight for street parking with everyone else and it was an absolute nightmare.
    Those are all challenges due to policy, not anything physical or engineering related.
    It would be simple (or not lol) to work with council to get a change to city code to be able to sign "reserved for residents" on those street spots and only those spots which are built and paid for by developers. Existing spaces shouldnt be able to be claimed.

An example of a building nearby with dedicated "street" parking is at 509 NW 29th or 2519 N Harvey.

On a sidenote they have an alleyway easement and that could be used as well to reduce the amount of the lot reserved for parking.

^

Regardless, no one is going to make this sort of an investment on a really nice project without a dedicated space per unit.

Is there something going on at the NW 30th St. and N. Dewey Ave. as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Is there something going on at the NW 30th St. and N. Dewey Ave. as well?
    If you’re talking about the NE corner of that intersection, pretty sure they are just resurfacing a parking lot as part of the Paseo streetscaping project.

Quote Originally Posted by sclindsay View Post
    Is this a Commonworks project?
    The architect wasn't shown on the plans.

But it sure looks like their work.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If you’re talking about the NE corner of that intersection, pretty sure they are just resurfacing a parking lot as part of the Paseo streetscaping project.
    I think they are just using it as a staging area for materials and some machinery. The lot there is not owned by the city so they wouldnt be paving it.

Default Re: Paseo District

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/opin...y/72452401007/

This Opinion piece decries an apartment development in what I am assuming is the Paseo. But the writer doesn't mention it by name, only that it is "along NW 30th." Any idea what he is talking about?

"As I am writing this letter, preservationists are fighting an effort to change the zoning in a historic neighborhood so a developer can build a high-density apartment complex on NW 30 without adequate parking and disregard for historic setbacks. Supporters of the zoning overlay claim that people want the apartments because of the rich architectural heritage, diversity and sense of community in surrounding neighborhoods. Ironically, if they are successful, they will be part of the effort to destroy the special qualities of those neighborhoods.

Yes, we need affordable housing, but there are many alternatives available through not-for-profit community groups such as Positively Paseo. Yes, we can use density to create exciting places to live, but it should not destroy what is special in historic districts."

Putting aside how I feel about their commentary, the author is referring to a proposed set of units (16-20, AFAIK it is still being debated) on the SW corner of NW 30th and Hudson where the church burned down a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post

This Opinion piece decries an apartment development in what I am assuming is the Paseo. But the writer doesn't mention it by name, only that it is "along NW 30th." Any idea what he is talking about?

"As I am writing this letter, preservationists are fighting an effort to change the zoning in a historic neighborhood so a developer can build a high-density apartment complex on NW 30 without adequate parking and disregard for historic setbacks. Supporters of the zoning overlay claim that people want the apartments because of the rich architectural heritage, diversity and sense of community in surrounding neighborhoods. Ironically, if they are successful, they will be part of the effort to destroy the special qualities of those neighborhoods.

Yes, we need affordable housing, but there are many alternatives available through not-for-profit community groups such as Positively Paseo. Yes, we can use density to create exciting places to live, but it should not destroy what is special in historic districts."
    It's the burned-down church property.

18. Default Re: Paseo District

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post

I can see this argument for other districts or neighborhoods, but the Paseo District and the surrounding neighborhoods have historically had tons of multi-family housing. This development is not replacing single family homes. It isn't replacing a section that has a ton of development happening at the moment. Most of the homes to the south of this development are not in good shape and are not significant in any way. This is an attractive development that helps continue more affordable housing for those who are priced out of ever buying a home in this area. Some of which will be working at the establishments that exist within the district. I appreciate the writer's hope for preservation, but as he brings up, urban renewal destroyed most of that hope. It is time we work to build up a new urban core with a mix that fits all financial situations.

^ The same exact forces are at work near the Plaza and all that redevelopment has brought big increases in values for the nearby historical homes. Jefferson Park is similar.

The main objectors to the Paseo former church thing are those who live just northeast in Edgemere.

^

The main objectors to the Paseo former church thing are those who live just east in Edgemere.
    Without getting into too many specifics, safe to say the main objector(s) very ironically lives in a (relatively) newly built, mid-century modern designed, not consistent with the historic design of the neighborhood, forced/snuck through HP (in what is admittedly likely an impressive use of "following the letter but not the spirit" of the HP regs) house across the street from the proposed development .

Typical weak NIMBY arguments. Just look at all the dense multi-family housing on the other side of Walker and you'll see that this project is not unusual.

He complains that it lacks adequate parking. Id be willing to bet hes opposed a retail project in the past because it had too much parking. They'll always find a way to oppose something thats completely reasonable and most certainly will not devalue their homes.

by the way this property is currently zoned commercial .. and the parking lot across the street is also zoned commercial

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    by the way this property is currently zoned commercial .. and the parking lot across the street is also zoned commercial
    The church property is zoned R-2, which roughly equates to duplexes as the maximum density.

This property is most like R-4, although I'm sure they'll go the SPUD route. It is also within the purview of the urban design review.

The church property is zoned R-2, which roughly equates to duplexes as the maximum density.

This property is most like R-4, although I'm sure they'll go the SPUD route. It is also within the purview of the urban design review.
    my bad i was looking at the county assessor .. instead of OKC zoning map ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    my bad i was looking at the county assessor .. instead of OKC zoning map ..
    it does look like all to the west along 30th is mostly zoned C-3 all the way to Walker

Thread Information