Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

1. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Best climate in the country for those of us who like thunderstorms, though.
    Insurance companies?

Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Not much we can do about it, unfortunately. But yeah, the Plains suck, weather-wise.
    But where else can you have -30 F wind chill (recorded in Nowata earlier this week) and 127 F heat index (recorded in Jay in August) in a 6 month span?

3. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

The moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The moon?
    250 degree Fahrenheit high and a -208 degrees Fahrenheit low for anyone wondering. But hey at least that's a dry heat and there is no windshield to deal with and you can also expect the same thing every day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    250 degree Fahrenheit high and a -208 degrees Fahrenheit low for anyone wondering. But hey at least that's a dry heat and there is no windshield to deal with and you can also expect the same thing every day and night.
    yes. but bring plenty of sun screen, because the sun burn you can get even at that -208 is pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    A few weather models hinting at an Ice storm next Sunday and Monday!
    Attachment 18571
    I have to go to work so it is going to suck bad

EURO forecasted rainfall next week - should wash all that salt off the roads

Hopefully it stays like that. There's a dry area that seems primed to come over OKC. Lol

Does Mike Morgan hype things up just for the sake of it? He had the same forecast last night. This morning, the KFOR met. had temps way above freezing for Sun/Mon along with Ch. 5 and Ch. 9. Today, he's dropped them again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7day.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	18579

Not just for the sake of it, but in order to drive ratings. If folks are more concerned about the weather, they’re more likely to turn on the news to see what the weather says. It’s a perverse dynamic and unfortunately a lot of our meteorologist in the metro are not immune to it.

NWS says "A medium-high (60-90%) chance that if precipitation does occur it will fall in the form of freezing rain early Monday morning, especially south of OKC."

Weather is by far and away the biggest driver in local news.

We are just now getting into the event in the NAM forecast window. Right now looks like it is coming in colder than other models.

Here is OKC temp forecasts when precipitation begins moving in from the south late Sunday night.

NAM: 28F
    GFS: 30F
    GEM: 30F
    CAN: 31F

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Weather is by far and away the biggest driver in local news.
    It was always my favorite part. I remember as a kid I was a fan of Mike Morgan back when he was on channel 5.

I hardly know what other reason people would want to watch the news, lol.

15. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    It was always my favorite part. I remember as a kid I was a fan of Mike Morgan back when he was on channel 5.

I hardly know what other reason people would want to watch the news, lol.
    I don't even think the weather is a good reason to watch the news. I track the models and radar. No added drama to boost ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I have to go to work so it is going to suck bad
    Yup, always makes me wonder why I picked the medical profession (among other reasons)...open 24 hours (rain/shine/ice/earthquake/tornado/diseases in general)

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Does Mike Morgan hype things up just for the sake of it? He had the same forecast last night. This morning, the KFOR met. had temps way above freezing for Sun/Mon along with Ch. 5 and Ch. 9. Today, he's dropped them again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7day.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	18579
    Absolutely he does! They all do to some degree, but this guy is the worst. I noticed the other night or recently that he and Emily were actually saying "it's a bread and milk storm so don't forget to stock up at Braum's." I thought that was odd to hear. Now i'm seeing this graphic with the Braum's logo in the top. Makes perfect sense. This is proof that they are partnering to drive up sales. This is so awful and it gets in the way of true forecasting.

But yes as Pete has said, the weather segments are probably the biggest draw to the local news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I don't even think the weather is a good reason to watch the news. I track the models and radar. No added drama to boost ratings.
    Oh for sure! This thread is legitimately my main source of weather and I can't show enough appreciation to Anonymous, SEMIweather, and everyone else who contributes to thread (shout out to venture back in the day!). They're the real MVPs!

I really only watch the local news guys anymore during active severe weather when its beneficial to see the view on the ground.

The good news is it is looking like majority of the moderate to heavy freezing rain will fall east of I-44. The bad news is anything that does fall across OKC, including drizzle, will likely cause travel problems in the early morning before we warm above freezing. This is because the ground will be very cold leading up to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Absolutely he does! They all do to some degree, but this guy is the worst. I noticed the other night or recently that he and Emily were actually saying "it's a bread and milk storm so don't forget to stock up at Braum's." I thought that was odd to hear. Now i'm seeing this graphic with the Braum's logo in the top. Makes perfect sense. This is proof that they are partnering to drive up sales. This is so awful and it gets in the way of true forecasting.

But yes as Pete has said, the weather segments are probably the biggest draw to the local news.
    It should be in the new oklahomans' hand book or in a newborn parents discharge instructions that one viewing of the weather daily should be required.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Talk to anyone involved in local broadcast news and they'll tell you weather is at least 75% of the draw, at least in Oklahoma.

Remember when they'd do 15 minutes of news, 7-8 minutes of weather and the same for sports? Watch now. They almost always lead with some sort of weather tease, then have 3-4 very drawn-out weather segments within every 30-minute broadcast.

Their average viewer of local TV news is well into their 60s and those people love the weather.

Oh for sure! This thread is legitimately my main source of weather and I can't show enough appreciation to Anonymous, SEMIweather, and everyone else who contributes to thread (shout out to venture back in the day!). They're the real MVPs!

I really only watch the local news guys anymore during active severe weather when its beneficial to see the view on the ground.
    !!!!!!

Usually when my wife and I talk seriously about the weather, I say "The guys from OKCTalk are predicting.........".

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Talk to anyone involved in local broadcast news and they'll tell you weather is at least 75% of the draw, at least in Oklahoma.

Remember when they'd do 15 minutes of news, 7-8 minutes of weather and the same for sports? Watch now. They almost always lead with some sort of weather tease, then have 3-4 very drawn-out weather segments within every 30-minute broadcast.

Their average viewer of local TV news is well into their 60s and those people love the weather.
    That is SOO true! It could be a day in the mid 70s, light wind, no rain and they would lead with something like "The sun is out today, but will it last?. Lets go over to the weather center for more information.." like clockwork. And the story right before the weather story will almost always be some weather related story which may not have taken place in Oklahoma.

Its pretty annoying which is why I don't watch local news except for as someone else said during tornado season I need to see what's happening on the ground.

What I don't need is seeing someone stick a ruler into snow or saying "the roads are slippery" when it snows. Well yes, what else would they be again?

Anyways hope it warms up quickly on Monday morning so the ice problem goes away.

There will likely be slick roads during the Monday morning commute in OKC/Tulsa. But temps will warm enough during the day that any precip will be rain and any lasting effects from ice in the morning will be short-lived. I wouldn't be surprised to see some schools close in anticipation though - with the recent cold weather any precip, whether actual freezing rain or rain, will freeze on contact.

Depending on how much precip falls (higher amounts in SE OK) and how long until temps warm will determine how severe the icing will be in your specific location. The CMC model shows a longer duration event across E OK while the GFS keeps icing just to the morning hours.

Remember with these types of events one city could have major issues while the city 10 miles away has no problems due to the above factors.

Thread Information