Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    It was 78. 23.7 inches for the year. The 3rd highest total ever.
    WOW, but I easily believe it! I recall having to pick up a coworker, who didn't have a car, at least once or twice because he didn't want to walk through the snow as deep as it was. Being younger back then I wasn't too intimidated by driving in the snow. It was just a cold aggravation to carefully put up with. At least there wasn't a sheet of glare ice to have to drive on.

2. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I don't bother with covering my 2014 Miata retractable hardtop, maybe I should, but I sure have to periodically put it on the battery recharger to keep the battery topped up.
    Mine is a 2002 that I bought about 10 years ago. I've had the top up twice since I've had her. When caught out in an unexpected shower. I just cover the cockpit to keep the interior from getting so dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I"m not going to call out a station or weather person but it was on Friday evening's 10 o'clock weather cast. But they didn't mention the exact location but that they were tracking a "snow storm." I hate it when they do that. lol
    KOCO is bad at doing that...not sure about the others.

"We are tracking a winter storm for the end of the week. More after the break" It is always one county in the panhandle that will see the winter storm

Technically speaking they are storm systems that are occurring in the winter. lol

The news stations also keep showing the recent ice storm in their promos, even though that is well in the past and there is nothing like that in the foreseeable future.

And BTW, Holy pothole! Driving all over town yesterday I saw the aftermath of that ice and bitter cold. The weather here is very inventive in the way it brutalizes all of us.

Car washes printing money this week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The news stations also keep showing the recent ice storm in their promos, even though that is well in the past and there is nothing like that in the foreseeable future.

And BTW, Holy pothole! Driving all over town yesterday I saw the aftermath of that ice and bitter cold. The weather here is very inventive in the way it brutalizes all of us.
    And even worse in a new car Pete!!

Amazing late-January weather this week - sunny with highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's.

Rain moves in Friday and sticks around through Saturday night. At this time eastern OK looks favored for the heaviest amounts but could change. EURO through Sunday night:

The year is starting off well for rainfall across the state, hopefully this continues through spring into summer (typically it does in El Nino years):

9. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Last couple GFS and CMC runs have no foreseeable snow in OK, KS or NE. Northern jet stream must be predicted to stay north. I love it!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Car washes printing money this week.
    "Printing Money?" I was wondering why so many are being built. These must be mob run car washes. I'm sure legitimate money being made this week with the great weather.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    "Printing Money?" I was wondering why so many are being built. These must be mob run car washes. I'm sure legitimate money being made this week with the great weather.
    Like you said, they must be lucrative but based on the costs of building, maintaining, water, power and chemicals, it's hard to believe they are profitable. But they must be, given how many are being built.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Like you said, they must be lucrative but based on the costs of building, maintaining, water, power and chemicals, it's hard to believe they are profitable. But they must be, given how many are being built.
    remind me of the frozen yogurt phase 10 years ago or so.

I went to one of those big chain car (Coulter?) washes with membership subscriptions the other day and it was packed. I will say I played myself due to not reading the menu correctly. They list the single-use washes on the screen from highest cost being the top #1 option, and the cheapest down toward the bottom. I just wanted a basic wash to get off the salt and ended up selecting the highest tier (which was $25) without even realizing my mistake.

I think there was just two workers (both teenagers) at the entire complex because the process is almost entirely automated. I would guess profit margins are pretty good for them.

I am really enjoying the beautiful weather while it lasts! At least Spring will be here soon next month tomorrow

15. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I am really enjoying the beautiful weather while it lasts! At least Spring will be here soon next month tomorrow
    Yeah! Might make a whole week of driving the Miata. In Jan/Feb. YEAH!!!!!!
    Of course people that see me in the mornings all wrapped up with the top down may question my sanity.

16. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yeah! Might make a whole week of driving the Miata. In Jan/Feb. YEAH!!!!!!
    Of course people that see me in the mornings all wrapped up with the top down may question my sanity.
    Nah. Much respect! I'd do the same thing if I still had my Miata.

Thread Information