Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Very active weather pattern coming up over the next couple of weeks. Good southwesterly jet and plenty of chances of rain. Looks like central Oklahoma might be on the western edge of most of the activity, but should still get plenty of rain.

^Rain is always welcome but would like to get at least one decent snowstorm a year, with this pattern not looking likely.

So do we have any better sense of when freezing stuff might start to glaze up.roads in OKC?

Precipitation is out to our west and southwest moving this way. I'm hearing it should be here in the next three-ish hours.

The heaviest freezing precip looks to arrive in central OK from 10 pm - 2 am. Eastern OK through 6 am

Temps are falling again here in OKC. Looks like we will be around 30F most of the night. OKC’s largest wave of precipitation is coming in the next few hours, so roads will be slick.

Omg lol

Roads are absolute crap! Be careful if you do have to drive.

Almost bit walking outside on my driveway a minute ago.

Roads are so bad on the way to work, I saw 2 wrecks one car in a ditch and one car flipped sideways, there are really idiot drivers that does not know how to drive on ice! Be careful everyone, drive very slow and you should be okay if you all need to drive!

I flipped on the Citizen live cam to see how traffic was moving downtown and noticed the streetcar completely stuck trying to make the turn from 4th north onto Broadway.

Bunch of vehicles out there; was in that position for quite a while but now seems to have moved onto Broadway and out of the intersection but stalled at the station in front of RED.

(Update: looks like the street car has now moved north on Broadway).

On all the webcams and just looking at my neighborhood streets, it seems the ice is rapidly melting.

Hopefully, we'll get a good rain later today and it will wash away any remaining slick spots.

No more freezing temps in the 10-day forecast with highs trending into the 50s and maybe even 60s. So looking forward to getting this crap weather behind us.

Temperatures are just about to cross the freezing mark in OKC, so I would anticipate that most travel issues will diminish in the next 3-6 hours.

neighborhood roads were very bad this morning in edmond and in north OKC several cars in my neighborhood couldn't get up the hill .. hit eachother (at low speeds sliding backwards) ..

Hopefully we will get lucky and that was the worse bit of winter weather for the year. I know dangerous statement to make given that we have the entire month of February to go.

16. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Ver often the worst winter weather comes in February.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Hopefully we will get lucky and that was the worse bit of winter weather for the year. I know dangerous statement to make given that we have the entire month of February to go.
    It's usually February when the ice shows up.

El Nino springs in the past have produced some big wet snowfalls in March, usually on the backside of low pressure systems moving out of northern NM. These are the types of storms that can hammer the Denver metro, the so-called "Albuquerque lows", and bring heavy rain/severe weather sometimes mixed with snow to northern OK. 2009-10 was a strong El Nino with heavy snow across OK in February/March

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    It's usually February when the ice shows up.
    February is never something to get excited about, especially for decent weather.

Active weather pattern continues this week with another round of mostly light rain (yes the liquid variety) tonight and a better chance for heavy rain with some thunderstorm possible Friday night into Saturday morning. GFS forecasted rainfall through the weekend:

Next week is dry with temps approaching 60 across the state on Monday and highs in the 50's with sunshine most of the week. Great time to get outside after the past few weeks..

21. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Active weather pattern continues this week with another round of mostly light rain (yes the liquid variety) tonight and a better chance for heavy rain with some thunderstorm possible Friday night into Saturday morning. GFS forecasted rainfall through the weekend:

Next week is dry with temps approaching 60 across the state on Monday and highs in the 50's with sunshine most of the week. Great time to get outside after the past few weeks..
    Next week it looks like the Miata gets uncovered. Not something that happens much in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    February is never something to get excited about, especially for decent weather.
    Make no mistake, excitement isn’t the mood i’m conveying here.( Not sure where that came from?)
    At my age, I remember February has been notorious for some ice storms.

Woohoo! An excuse to grill!

Winds will slowly shift to come out of the south tonight, resulting in some ideal fog development conditions late tonight into Thursday morning.

Next shot at rain is going to be with the main system moving across the region Friday evening:

This reminds me of February 2021. Started the month out with highs in the 60s. We bottomed out at -14 mid-month with 10 inches of snow or so in the span of 3 days in OKC. Ended the month with highs in the 70s. Lol.

Thread Information