Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

For Sunday-Monday: Early model data suggesting a wide swath of measurable snow. With some areas getting up to 5" favoring N of I-40 corridor. Air will be extremely dry and cold. I will update once we have some better data.

Early Friday AM expect a quick dusting, much like we saw earlier this week.

Will the Friday AM quick dusting have the same effect on the roads that it did earlier this week?

Quote Originally Posted by emounger View Post
    Will the Friday AM quick dusting have the same effect on the roads that it did earlier this week?
    It might. Going to get up to 60F today and then drop down to 20F by sunrise tomorrow so very well could see snow melting on warm road surfaces and then refreezing as the cold air becomes more established.

Meanwhile, an advisory-level snowfall is looking more and more likely for Sunday, though there could be a sharp gradient in accumulations somewhere in the vicinity of the Metro (higher totals to the north/east).

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    Gonna wake up and put a coat or two on and see what the day brings.
    ��
    Sunny with a high around 85 confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Haha. Actually the high Sunday will likely be around 20F and that will occur at midnight Saturday night. The daytime high on Sunday will be closer to 15.

Also I don't want to think about this yet, but depending on any snowpack, OKC may struggle to get above zero on Monday.

Mike Morgan hyping up the cold wind chills:

https://x.com/MikeMorganKFOR/status/...559997361?s=20

Gotta say, I'm glad most schools are out on Monday, that's dangerous, dangerous stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    LOL, I get the joke.

NWS Norman just put out a graphic for Sunday calling for roughly 1-3” of snow across the Metro.

10. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Looking past Monday are we going to start the warm back up to normal? Hoping this is a short cold air blast.

The true arctic air should retreat by Wednesday allowing for highs to rise back above freezing but we will likely stay below normal for at least the next 10-14 days.

12. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The true arctic air should retreat by Wednesday allowing for highs to rise back above freezing but we will likely stay below normal for at least the next 10-14 days.
    I'll take it. Thanks!

Cold air is dry air keep that in Mind. Hard sometimes to get snow in Oklahoma with such cold dry air. A few computers models are really taking snowfall totals down for the metro on Sunday/Monday. We will see if that trend continues.

HRRR heading into this evening is trending to no longer have a band of snow across C OK overnight. May have an early evening rain shower, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    HRRR heading into this evening is trending to no longer have a band of snow across C OK overnight. May have an early evening rain shower, though.
    10 PM HRRR

It's raining in far NW OKC right now. I wonder how long it will last?

Well, looks like we got spared any impactful precipitation this time around, so roads should be fine this morning.

Models have been backing off of snow amounts on Sunday but are generally still all over the place, and with higher than average snow-to-water ratios looking very likely due to temperatures in the teens, it won't take much precipitation for enough snow accumulation to cause travel issues, especially since that anything that falls will stick to the roads given the antecedent cold conditions. So all in all, a very low confidence forecast considering we're only 48 hours out from the potential event at this point.

18. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Well, looks like we got spared any impactful precipitation this time around, so roads should be fine this morning.
    Roads were amazing! I had to drive up from Ardmore this morning and I-35 is usually a parking lot from about Indian Hills to I-40 when I make that drive... Guessing the panic kept everyone home because this morning I did the speed limit all the way to downtown... IT WAS GREAT

Models have been backing off of snow amounts on Sunday but are generally still all over the place, and with higher than average snow-to-water ratios looking very likely due to temperatures in the teens, it won't take much precipitation for enough snow accumulation to cause travel issues, especially since that anything that falls will stick to the roads given the antecedent cold conditions. So all in all, a very low confidence forecast considering we're only 48 hours out from the potential event at this point.
    Models generally suck at forecasting winter weather more than a couple days out (or in yesterday's case the day before)

Models this morning are starving the Sunday-Monday system of meaningful moisture until the low is pushing through AR. Basically looking like a trace of dry snow roughly anywhere N of I-40 and E of I-35. Highest potential accumulation across NE quadrant.

I would even say Dallas has a better shot at accumulating precipitation than OKC.

Man, moisture is missing OKC like crazy. Every storm, it seems OKC gets missed by rain or other moisture.

From most bullish to least [in OKC]:

3 inches of snow in south texas would be wild ..

24. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Man, moisture is missing OKC like crazy. Every storm, it seems OKC gets missed by rain or other moisture.
    Sorry to disagree, but we have had a relatively wet December and January according to my backyard observations. We are doing pretty well for this time of the year, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but we have had a relatively wet December and January according to my backyard observations. We are doing pretty well for this time of the year, actually.
    You're right, the last month has been above average across pretty much the entire state

Thread Information