Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Not sure if pelican migration is a weather indicator but we had over 100 descend on our neighborhood pond this morning in NW OKC. Really beautiful. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	18556

Wow I can’t recall ever seeing pelicans in OKC before. Is this normal? I’ve seen seagulls but not pelicans.

Blog Entries

They come most every winter at some point for a short time. They are very common at Grand Lake too.

4. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Every few years a bunch will be on Hefner for a few days.
    Just before Christmas I was by the Kilpatrick Turnpike and County Line. I could see a bunch of them on the pond of a gated community.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow I can’t recall ever seeing pelicans in OKC before. Is this normal? I’ve seen seagulls but not pelicans.
    I've seen them stop in at Lake Overholser on their migration both directions, so twice a year. For many years now.
    Probably pushed down by this last cold front. Probably need to keep going south.

I've also seen them at the Zoo lake and on the river. I had a friend that tended to a lame Pelican she named Charlie at Lake Hefner for years. After she died in 2021 I
    wondered what happened to him.

Pelicans usually come in at least twice a year from New Orleans to play the Thunder.

Rain starts Monday morning and should end from west to east throughout the day Monday. Totals will be mostly light, some areas could pick up over 0.5” east of I-35

Snow totals trending down with the Friday storm but very cold air is still expected across the state this weekend

Liking the rain but wish it was snow. Doesn't look like we're in the target for a good winter storm through the majority of january here. GFS showing some longer term systems moving through which could bring some snow, but they don't look like very strong systems. February tends to be one of our colder months, so hopefully it's a bit more active for us.

Bulk of rain is over for OKC. Focus now will turn into cold, strong N winds that blast through late tonight through Tuesday morning.

We've received 0.68" so far at our house near downtown Edmond. I'm a massive snow lover but not when the kids go back to school tomorrow and I'm ready for the routine to be back. I'll take rain!

Calm right now OKC, but the bitter cold wind is about to arrive.

OKCPS is CLOSED today. Not virtual, closed. I haven't even looked outside yet, but I think this took them by surprise.

14. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    OKCPS is CLOSED today. Not virtual, closed. I haven't even looked outside yet, but I think this took them by surprise.
    It's nasty in spots. About half of the roads I was on are pretty dry. But many spots are slick and some were as slick as anything I've ever driven on. Meridian going South has a fairly steep downhill between 10th and where Cimarron Steakhouse was. I slid down most of that hill at maybe 5 MPH completely off the gas.

Took just a trace of snow, but with the wind blowing it around, it can accumulate in very sporadic places.

Doesn't seem that bad to warrant a school closure, but that just seems like the norm now since the covid closures. They were closed for weeks, so a couple of snow days here and there isn't that bad.

Was surprised at just how bad the roads were this morning. NW 36th in particular was a total skating rink through the Crown Heights area with those rolling hills.

Makes sense, a lot of the roads are really icy and it's not going to get above freezing until early afternoon

Sapulpa was insanely icy. Apparently it was OK early this morning, but the freeze finally set somewhere around 7ish. Bridges are a slip in slide. All the major highways are clogged with wrecks. It's a mess. Definitely more of an ice storm than a snow event per usual.

20. Default Re: January 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Most roads are fine in Edmond but random little strips were some of the worst I’ve driven on in years. A car slid onto the Kickingbird golf course even ramming through the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Was surprised at just how bad the roads were this morning. NW 36th in particular was a total skating rink through the Crown Heights area with those rolling hills.
    Yep, wife goes that way to work, her words - "Hellish drive"

I don't watch the news so It took me by surprise too. It was not spotty, it was pretty much solid ice when I pulled on to 63rd. I took Western and side streets from the NH area to Downtown and it was ice all the way. I heard from a neighbor that Classen was bad too - I guess it didn't get snow route treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I don't watch the news so It took me by surprise too. It was not spotty, it was pretty much solid ice when I pulled on to 63rd. I took Western and side streets from the NH area to Downtown and it was ice all the way. I heard from a neighbor that Classen was bad too - I guess it didn't get snow route treatment.
    Even when it's way worse than this, snow routes don't get treated/plowed in OKC, they just wait for it to melt most of the time.

David 'Payne in the ars' said in his 10PM weather segment last night we should only expect a dusting but what falls will just blow around and off the roads and that there would be no travel impacts. Some weather expert.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I was off yesterday afternoon, but OKCPS did send an e-mail with a weather alert but somehow, the messaging got totally botched this morning and employees were sometimes at school or on their way, before anyone notified them that schools were closed. I found out via public comments on the OKCS Facebook page.

Thread Information