Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Flycatchers is the move. If they go with something else it should at least be used for one-off games, like the drillers did with noodlers. They would sell a mess of hats of a bird catching a ball in its hat or glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I see your point, but, I think the Chickasaw are only the naming rights sponsor. I don’t think they have any operational control or duty at the ballpark.
    It wasn't even going to Chickasaw Ballpark at first, it was going to be Newcastle Gaming ballpark, but there was an uproar about having another towns name on the building.

But I do see Swake's point, that's not future proofing the name and there will be some level of uproar with 89ers. I like flycatchers. I'm sure whoever is designing the mascot would like that name also. lol

Blog Entries

What about the Oklahoma City Lightning to go with The Thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    What about the Oklahoma City Lightning to go with The Thunder?
    nah... i say you separate the names as much as possible. if the Thunder ownership group owned the baseball team, okay sure.... but why tie yourself to another team in town? be your own thing, and completely unique.

Flycatchers has a tie to oklahoma with it being the state bird, and the pun of catching fly balls for baseball. it's cute, it's fun, and it's marketable to kids. the fun of minor league baseball is that it is fun.

Minor league baseball mascots are supposed to be fun and kind of goofy. Redhawks and Dodgers were neither. See:

Toledo Mud Hens
    Lehigh Valley IronPigs
    Suger Land Space Cowboys
    Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
    Amarillo Sod Poodles
    Richmond Flying Squirrels
    Akron RubberDucks
    Hartford Yard Goats
    Montgomery Biscuits
    Lansing Lugnuts
    Rocket City Trash Pandas

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Minor league baseball mascots are supposed to be fun and kind of goofy. Redhawks and Dodgers were neither. See:

Toledo Mud Hens
    Lehigh Valley IronPigs
    Suger Land Space Cowboys
    Amarillo Sod Poodles
    Akron RubberDucks
    Hartford Yard Goats
    Montgomery Biscuits
    Lansing Lugnuts
    Rocket City Trash Pandas
    don't forget the Albuquerque Isotopes!!! literally named a team after a Simpsons Episode.... Go Topes!!!!

Toledo Mud Hens
    Lehigh Valley IronPigs
    Suger Land Space Cowboys
    Amarillo Sod Poodles
    Akron RubberDucks
    Hartford Yard Goats
    Montgomery Biscuits
    Lansing Lugnuts
    Rocket City Trash Pandas
    There is no way the City Fathers will allow anything whimsical to occur. We are going to end up with the OKC Oklahomans playing in Oklahoma Stadium just off the Oklahoma City Boulevard near the Oklahoma River.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    There is no way the City Fathers will allow anything whimsical to occur. We are going to end up with the OKC Oklahomans playing in Oklahoma Stadium just off the Oklahoma City Boulevard near the Oklahoma River.
    Seems kind of goofy to me, lol.

HangryHippo Guest

It’s an epidemic, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Seems kind of goofy to me, lol.
    But given our track record, not outside the realm of possibility. Lol.

Toledo Mud Hens
    Lehigh Valley IronPigs
    Suger Land Space Cowboys
    Amarillo Sod Poodles
    Akron RubberDucks
    Hartford Yard Goats
    Montgomery Biscuits
    Lansing Lugnuts
    Rocket City Trash Pandas
    There's also the Louisville Bats......so I'm coming around to OKC Flycatchers.

Is Cornett part of the ownership group?

13. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    There's also the Louisville Bats......so I'm coming around to OKC Flycatchers.
    Don't forget the Savannah Bananas!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Don't forget the Savannah Bananas!
    Nowadays the Bananas are more of an exhibition team similar to what the Harlem Globetrotters are for basketball. I heard they are a lot of fun to see, of course I really enjoy the Globetrotters.

OKC Flyswatters. haha

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    OKC Flyswatters. haha
    I like that better than Flycatchers. Someone else mentioned Flycatchers as "cute" and I agree, I think that's why I don't love it. Flyswatters is more whimsical and for that reason I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I like that better than Flycatchers. Someone else mentioned Flycatchers as "cute" and I agree, I think that's why I don't love it. Flyswatters is more whimsical and for that reason I like it.
    And since we are still swatting flies in December it makes more sense than 10 years ago. Go away flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    And since we are still swatting flies in December it makes more sense than 10 years ago. Go away flies.
    They could give out fly swatters with their logo shaped like a baseball glove. How cool would that be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    They could give out fly swatters with their logo shaped like a baseball glove. How cool would that be.

It is really dumb we have to wait until after the season to find out the new name for the team

21. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    locked in until at least 2030
    I agree this is true. But the Animal said this afternoon that this has to do with the Dodgers "selling" the OKC agreement. Wouldn't be the first time they were wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree this is true. But the Animal said this afternoon that this has to do with the Dodgers "selling" the OKC agreement. Wouldn't be the first time they were wrong though.
    Could be. But I don't recall bouncing a long term affiliation with 60 days left until Pitchers and Catchers report...ever. And I don't see any geographic advantage for any Major League team to want pay a premium for OKC after Austin and Sugar Land both got AAA teams.

I still think the Dodgers (and possibly all of MLB) have a different approach to the brand value of the MLB team names and logos than they did just 5 years ago. And they were negotiating with the OKC ownership at a number that didn't make sense anymore.

Still a very quick move. Especially since it takes a year to come up with a new name, logo, overall brand designs, and secure approval from MLB and MiLB.

23. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yeah, they're wrong if that's what they said. As I mentioned upthread, the day of the announcement I chatted with the president and vice president of the club in question (OKC), both of whom I've known pretty well for years. They said the relationship between the two clubs is excellent and not going anywhere. Now, if the Animal was talking about the various changes in ownership of the actual teams a couple of years ago, they would be correct. That could be interpreted as having set this into motion, as the two clubs have decided that they each want complete control over their respective branding.

Blog Entries

Although the Oklahoma City Flycatchers sound flashy; this could be used as the brunt of harassing the players by the opposing team's fans.

'Oh, your fly is unzipped.'
    'What did you catch in your fly.'

Let's go back to a page in history, OKLAHOMA CITY 89ERS

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Although the Oklahoma City Flycatchers sound flashy; this could be used as the brunt of harassing the players by the opposing team's fans.

'Oh, your fly is unzipped.'
    'What did you catch in your fly.'

Let's go back to a page in history, OKLAHOMA CITY 89ERS
    if that is the worst harassment they can come up with.... then that is why you select it. lol. baseball is a game and meant to be fun. and if opposing fans have to us 2nd grader on recess bulling tactics. then i think that is a win.

Thread Information