Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: December 2023 - General Weather Discussion

The last few GFS runs have been showing a snow storm the second week of January. I wouldn’t put much stock in the totals yet but there is a high likelihood of some cold air/snow during this timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Looking out long term, and there are no signals of snow coming in. Sure would be nice to get a good snow storm or two this year. Looks like there are some signs that the cold air really starts to push south here in a couple of weeks though.
    What is this appeal some people have with wanting snow? Is it simply the solid whiteness it makes of the landscape is beyond too beautiful to describe? Sorry, but to me the slippery, dangerous conditions of the roads cancel out the beauty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    What is this appeal some people have with wanting snow? Is it simply the solid whiteness it makes of the landscape is beyond too beautiful to describe? Sorry, but to me the slippery, dangerous conditions of the roads cancel out the beauty for me.
    For me, it’s something that doesn’t happen often here, so I really enjoy it. It’s peaceful. Get to stay home from work. Go sledding. Etc.

I would think differently if we had major snow storms every week, but we just don’t get them that often. Plus, if it’s going to be cold, it might as well snow. lol.

I like a good snow storm where I’m huddled up at home. As long as I don’t have to drive anywhere, I’m good with it. Not crazy about the ice and not crazy about days on end of temps in the single digits.

For me, it’s something that doesn’t happen often here, so I really enjoy it. It’s peaceful. Get to stay home from work. Go sledding. Etc.

I would think differently if we had major snow storms every week, but we just don’t get them that often. Plus, if it’s going to be cold, it might as well snow. lol.
    agree on all counts

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I like a good snow storm where I’m huddled up at home. As long as I don’t have to drive anywhere, I’m good with it. Not crazy about the ice and not crazy about days on end of temps in the single digits.
    OKC generally doesn't have "days on end" of single digit temps, I think there's only been one stretch more than 2 days of that since we moved back in 2009, but I don't have the time or inclination to search. That's the main reason we moved out of Chicagoland and find the winters much more bearable here.

If we had snowstorms every other week, Oklahoman's would be better prepared and wouldn't freak out every time it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    OKC generally doesn't have "days on end" of single digit temps, I think there's only been one stretch more than 2 days of that since we moved back in 2009, but I don't have the time or inclination to search. That's the main reason we moved out of Chicagoland and find the winters much more bearable here.
    There was that stretch a couple of years ago where it got in the single digits for a week and it took a toll on our plumbing. But yes, generally we don't have too many days like that (thankfully).

Thread Information