Widgets Magazine

Thread: Advice Citation on Towing Cars

Default Advice Citation on Towing Cars

Just want to know what the city can and can't do legally. I know someone will say whatever they want. What I want to know is if you've had this happen to you how does it work. We have another vehicle that is not involved behind the three they are wanting to tow. They would have to drive up on my property (the lawn) and tear out the porch to get to the first car. Plus if the city came in on the other side of the drive they will be on my neighbors property. So if I refuse to move the car not involved what happens. Also, this complaint was against my dad and mom; these complaints were filed three days after my dad died. Everything is still in his name as well as the complaints, if that matters. We also haven't seen the tow review. I really just want to know my rights. If all else fails email me the cheapest tow in okc for three cars. Thanks.

Default Re: Advice Citation on Towing Cars

What is the reason the City wants to tow the car?

If it is inoperable on your driveway, usually they cite you and give you time to move it.

If that has already happened, the car not in compliance with City ordinance will continue to be cited with associated fines.

This citation started on Oct 4 and instead of fining us, they are just taking the cars in the morning. They had actually called the wrecker on Nov 6. They really want these vehicles and it hasn't made sense. They have only been willing to give us one week extensions. Plus this wasn't the only citations they gave us that day either.

i want to ask a couple questions to get a better understanding.

Please do not take any comment I make to be considered insensitive or disrespectful. I want to stick to the rules and leave out emotion.

Is this property in Oklahoma City proper?

Do you have cars parked on grass?

Are any cars on grass in the front or side yards?

Are any cars behind a sight proof fence?

Do any cars not have a current tag?

Do any cars have flat tires?

How long has your father been dead?

Do any cars have an orange decal on the glass (that tow away sticker we see on cars on the side of the road)?

Is this the first interaction with the city on this matter?

From my perspective of interaction with the city as a business owner, I can say they have usually given a 30 day window to correct issues, and will extend if I was working in good faith.

Thanks.

Cars are tagged and insured. In the driveway. Only two tires are down on one car. Can't get a Jack underneath. All covered with car covers. One car did not have flat tires when they came up. This is in okc. This was not the only complaint they filed that day. My dad died three days before they filed these complaints. Want a dog and pony show to show they work which takes money and a little more time.

Quote Originally Posted by locomotivfan View Post
    Just want to know what the city can and can't do legally. I know someone will say whatever they want. What I want to know is if you've had this happen to you how does it work. We have another vehicle that is not involved behind the three they are wanting to tow. They would have to drive up on my property (the lawn) and tear out the porch to get to the first car. Plus if the city came in on the other side of the drive they will be on my neighbors property. So if I refuse to move the car not involved what happens. Also, this complaint was against my dad and mom; these complaints were filed three days after my dad died. Everything is still in his name as well as the complaints, if that matters. We also haven't seen the tow review. I really just want to know my rights. If all else fails email me the cheapest tow in okc for three cars. Thanks.
    What is a tow review?

I don't know. That is what is listed under the city complaint.

What are the cars (just curious?)

Typically they will ticket you or give you a warning if the vehicle appears inoperable, such as missing required items to legally drive the vehicle on a public road - missing windshield, lights, flat tires etc. If the vehicle is parked within the front yard and on the grass they will ticket for parking on grass, on top of telling you they will tow it for being parked while being inop on a not hard surface.

As to the ticketed vehicle not being easily accessible, they don't care, they'll get to it if they want to. That's why you can't see my project cars from the street.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    What are the cars (just curious?)

Typically they will ticket you or give you a warning if the vehicle appears inoperable, such as missing required items to legally drive the vehicle on a public road - missing windshield, lights, flat tires etc. If the vehicle is parked within the front yard and on the grass they will ticket for parking on grass, on top of telling you they will tow it for being parked while being inop on a not hard surface.

As to the ticketed vehicle not being easily accessible, they don't care, they'll get to it if they want to. That's why you can't see my project cars from the street.
    I don't think it is like the SWAT team is gonna come blastin' for you and grabbin' your car. If there is not an attempt to comply, or any positive movement towards remediation after some period of weeks, then the City might take positive action from their end.

But, the City doesn't want to do that. The code requires that cars visible from the street be parked on a hard surface (no gravel, grass or dirt), have tires that appear inflated, be tagged (I think they are allowed to check a car that is backed in), and appear to be in working order. I think cars behind a sight proof fence are not as big an issue. But, I think the fencing has to follow the normal set back and code requirements. I don't think you can throw up plywood on either side of the driveway from the house to the street and claim it is properly fenced.

If the car can roll and be easily accessed, then an older, small sized towing company (like Mel's Towing) would use a sling and dollies to get it in towable configuration and take it around much of the metro for $75-$100. Assuming you give them time to fit into their schedule and access around the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I don't think it is like the SWAT team is gonna come blastin' for you and grabbin' your car. If there is not an attempt to comply, or any positive movement towards remediation after some period of weeks, then the City might take positive action from their end.

But, the City doesn't want to do that. The code requires that cars visible from the street be parked on a hard surface (no gravel, grass or dirt), have tires that appear inflated, be tagged (I think they are allowed to check a car that is backed in), and appear to be in working order. I think cars behind a sight proof fence are not as big an issue. But, I think the fencing has to follow the normal set back and code requirements. I don't think you can throw up plywood on either side of the driveway from the house to the street and claim it is properly fenced.

If the car can roll and be easily accessed, then an older, small sized towing company (like Mel's Towing) would use a sling and dollies to get it in towable configuration and take it around much of the metro for $75-$100. Assuming you give them time to fit into their schedule and access around the car.
    Sorry if it came across as SWAT is coming to raid. Having been a car guy my entire life, I just know if the city wants to impound/tow a vehicle they will. 99% of the time they work with residents to remedy the situation at hand or attempt too. Code enforcement usually is actually pretty nice; depending on the code enforcement officer.

Depends on the level of annoyance for the tow company. If they have winch it out of a spot from sitting too long, etc it climbs on cost. I've actually picked up cars for friends they're getting for free just due to the junk car people saying they're taking them to the crusher and they won't pay since it's "difficult" to get it or the tow company wants several hundred to just move it. I just hook my winch up on my car hauling trailer and move it on the trailer and drop it off for them to save the car.

Thread Information