Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tulsa KTUL Channel 8 is moving news production to OKC

Default Re: Tulsa KTUL Channel 8 is moving news production to OKC

I recall NFL always puts games on free OTA in both competing teams base markets. Back in the 1970s-80s, it had something to do with the NFL trying to get an anti-trust exemption like MLB had. Never got it, but have always stayed away from Friday night, because of high school games.

Now, OTA is doing just fine, but it is much different than it was 25 years ago. There are over 40 English language entertainment and education stations available in OKC right now, and about 70 overall. The main OTA channels (like 25.1, not .2 or .3) broadcast in the best, non-compressed 1080i format, based on what I have heard. So their picture is better than most cable and possibly streaming feeds.

I read something about the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast technology providing better video and audio quality that almost anything being provided to homes in a real world result. Iit has better viewer alerting capabilities. And a way to measure if a TV is viewing, and for how long. This could help provide targeted advertising…just like we get when we get on the internet nowadays!!

Blog Entries

Pay broadcast TV has existed for 30 years on Satellite via the big c-band dishes. It's largely a dead market today. The same exact technology could be used on local broadcast. It certainly does require a set top box.

4K TV basically only exists currently on streaming. There's actually quite a lot out there. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, YouTubeTV, MAX all have 4K options.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Pay broadcast TV has existed for 30 years on Satellite via the big c-band dishes. It's largely a dead market today. The same exact technology could be used on local broadcast. It certainly does require a set top box.

4K TV basically only exists currently on streaming. There's actually quite a lot out there. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, YouTubeTV, MAX all have 4K options.
    I’m sure there are plenty of 4K options out there, but how many are caught up in internet speed issues that stop them from providing the speed and clarity 4K should provide?

As far as satellite on local broadcasts…I’m not following? I would suggest C-band dishes are like copper phone lines, and ATSC 3.0 are closer to fiber optic lines. Big difference, IMO

4. Default Re: Tulsa KTUL Channel 8 is moving news production to OKC

This was posted on another thread by TVvoiceguy:
    "Most likely due to the increased number of sub-channels being added, and the bandwidth available to carry them. Think of it as a pie. 1 channel = the whole pie (bandwidth). 2 channels = half the pie (bandwidth) each. When you get up into the higher number of subchannels, you're talking about splitting the bandwidth 6 ways, 7 ways, or more. Each channel gets less and less, ultimately causing signal degradation on the main channel as well. You may have perfect signal strength, but due to the bandwidth split, pixelization will still occur".

I'm not saying I know. I have a little outdated knowledge because I worked in satellite and OTA transmission/ reception but it was 20+ years ago. Lot's has changed since then. But if TVvoiceguy is right and OTA bandwidth is already being loaded up then I would question whether OTA frequencies have enough bandwidth to have the existing data and have the added data required for scrambling/descrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    This was posted on another thread by TVvoiceguy:
    "Most likely due to the increased number of sub-channels being added, and the bandwidth available to carry them. Think of it as a pie. 1 channel = the whole pie (bandwidth). 2 channels = half the pie (bandwidth) each. When you get up into the higher number of subchannels, you're talking about splitting the bandwidth 6 ways, 7 ways, or more. Each channel gets less and less, ultimately causing signal degradation on the main channel as well. You may have perfect signal strength, but due to the bandwidth split, pixelization will still occur".

I'm not saying I know. I have a little outdated knowledge because I worked in satellite and OTA transmission/ reception but it was 20+ years ago. Lot's has changed since then. But if TVvoiceguy is right and OTA bandwidth is already being loaded up then I would question whether OTA frequencies have enough bandwidth to have the existing data and have the added data required for scrambling/descrambling.
    Don't know. But I read that ATSC 3.0 is a whole different animal from anything we have been watching before. I think it is a different part of the spectrum, and is as big a change as the digital conversion was 20-25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I’m sure there are plenty of 4K options out there, but how many are caught up in internet speed issues that stop them from providing the speed and clarity 4K should provide?
    So true, the pic on our 4K OLED TV with cable from Cox barely looks 1080 at times, it's pretty pathetic, no way I'd do 4K online/streaming. Only way I do 4K is a physical disc in my 4K blu-ray player straight to my TV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

As far as satellite on local broadcasts…I’m not following? I would suggest C-band dishes are like copper phone lines, and ATSC 3.0 are closer to fiber optic lines. Big difference, IMO
    ATSC is a digital transmission standard, just a way to code (and compress) a digital signal.

And you only need about 50mb bandwidth for a 4K stream. I have 500mb. It's no issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I'm sure I'm over your age range but age range has nothing to do with it . It's just so much easier to get a comprehensive view of what's going on by watching a complete newscast instead of looking for occasional snippets on a tiny screen on my phone. I catch a newscast while eating breakfast or dinner and I don't want to be messing with a phone while doing that, I do keep up with new or breaking news on my computer while I'm at work though. I don't have time to mess with my phone during the day to do that.

Admittedly, a lot of the stories on local newscasts are just repeats of previously covered stories so I just basically ignore those.,
    I think this issue, generally, has *everything* to do with age.

Under 40 here. I haven't had cable since I was a child. I have a small antenna solely to pick up locally broadcast sports or weather issues. I don't watch the local news and find the local news broadcasts to be laughably bad.

It's not that I enjoy watching news on a "tiny screen" as you said, it's that I'm not "watching" news at all. I want to devour news at times when it is convenient for my lifestyle. Usually that is in written word. I cannot imagine relying on our local broadcasters, or even the NY desk for ABC/NBC/CBS to provide a neutral accounting of what is happening in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I think this issue, generally, has *everything* to do with age.

Under 40 here. I haven't had cable since I was a child. I have a small antenna solely to pick up locally broadcast sports or weather issues. I don't watch the local news and find the local news broadcasts to be laughably bad.

It's not that I enjoy watching news on a "tiny screen" as you said, it's that I'm not "watching" news at all. I want to devour news at times when it is convenient for my lifestyle. Usually that is in written word. I cannot imagine relying on our local broadcasters, or even the NY desk for ABC/NBC/CBS to provide a neutral accounting of what is happening in the world.
    Same to pretty much all of that. Under 40 here, the only time I have watched local news in the past quite a few years is when there is really bad weather. I consume news almost entirely in written format.

I was told by an att repair guy that you only need 18 what ever. I have 50 but could get 100 at the same price if I did some rewiring of my house. I dont want to move furnature and what I have serves me fine. Just for laughs, I am east of I 35 north of Edmond and I had some of the first access to att fiber but dont see a need for it for me. Also by the way I do have an 8 ft sat dish as well as Dish network. I got Dish network when you bought the system and put it in yourself. My big dish guy helped me. I think I might be the last person around with an 8 ft sat dish hooked up to my tv. Ok that tv is a 27 in Sony. You know boat anchor tv. Yah I am that old and yes I have a copper wire land line too.When they try to sell me the new type phone I ask for my party line back. I say sure change me back to my 4 party line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I was told by an att repair guy that you only need 18 what ever. I have 50 but could get 100 at the same price if I did some rewiring of my house. I dont want to move furnature and what I have serves me fine. Just for laughs, I am east of I 35 north of Edmond and I had some of the first access to att fiber but dont see a need for it for me. Also by the way I do have an 8 ft sat dish as well as Dish network. I got Dish network when you bought the system and put it in yourself. My big dish guy helped me. I think I might be the last person around with an 8 ft sat dish hooked up to my tv. Ok that tv is a 27 in Sony. You know boat anchor tv. Yah I am that old and yes I have a copper wire land line too.When they try to sell me the new type phone I ask for my party line back. I say sure change me back to my 4 party line.
    If you bought your c-band service from Netlink/Superstar/Turnervision and got a discount on your DishNetwork system to replace your c-band service that was me. I was the program manager for TVGuide (who owned Netlink/Superstar/Turnervision) and managed the relationship between Dish and TVGuide and ran the program to convert customers to Dish.

Also, old Coax should get much faster speeds than 100mb. Probably more than a gigabit without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Interesting from way back when. I'm older, too, but never that advanced in being old school. My parents moved from the country farm to town and never messed with satellite dishes. After getting our first color TV, snow specks in color were more annoying than ever, especially on channel 4 and 5 even from using the outdoor TV antenna. Soon after it became available parents got us on cable TV to enjoy snow free reception on every OKC channel. Maybe my mother didn't want to see so much as one speck of snow while watching "As the World Turns".

I get 100 GB Internet from the same company my parents started me on with CABLE TV, though its name has changed several times since then.

Channel 8 has been the last remaining Tulsa TV channel available on Stillwater Cable TV for years. It's on channel 8. I wonder if it will still see any use in remaining there.

Blog Entries

You're correct, I get Hulu, Bally Sports streaming and T-Mobile internet for 1/10 th of what I was paying for Cox--their basic TV packages with internet. Now the streaming services aren't easy to navigate thru, but I'm saving $250 month once I cut the Cox. cable cord.

So Curtis Fitzpatrick is out at fox. Who else is going to be gone?

Thread Information