Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symmetry

Blog Entries

Default Re: Symmetry

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    There's the Ranch, Michael's Grill and OKCGCC all within 1 mile of Symmetry. That's tough competition for new business offering similar price point options. Hopefully this does well and they can develop a regular crowd from people in the surrounding area, but that's tough competition.
    Michael’s is a very different menu and setting. A country club is a whole different animal and way more don’t belong than belong. Ranch is the real competitor, but the ambiance looks to be entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Michael’s is a very different menu and setting. A country club is a whole different animal and way more don’t belong than belong. Ranch is the real competitor, but the ambiance looks to be entirely different.
    While the menus may differ, they are staples for the residents nearby Symmetry. They’ll need to siphon off business from all 3 to be successful imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    While the menus may differ, they are staples for the residents nearby Symmetry. They’ll need to siphon off business from all 3 to be successful imo.
    A country club isn’t the same as a restaurant. And you must be claiming there is no more room for a new quality restaurant. LOL. Many people will give this a try and if it is really good, they will go back. Sometimes the new spot has an advantage because it IS new and a change. Maybe it is the Ranch that will need to shore up their business. I love the competition. It ups everyone’s game. OKC is big enough for the two of them.

I'll be honest. I don't see what's so great about The Ranch. We went last week for the first time and for the amount of money spent we were a little disappointed. The steaks were overdone (ordered medium rare and came out closer to medium well), hard to cut, and the sides were average. Maybe just an off night, I guess. Looking forward to checking out Symmetry since it's just down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by emounger View Post
    I'll be honest. I don't see what's so great about The Ranch. We went last week for the first time and for the amount of money spent we were a little disappointed. The steaks were overdone (ordered medium rare and came out closer to medium well), hard to cut, and the sides were average. Maybe just an off night, I guess. Looking forward to checking out Symmetry since it's just down the street.
    I am with you. We went there last year and the dinner, while good, was a bit overpriced for what we got. Also, I think the ambience may have something to do with that. It was noisy as hell in our area and we were seated under a vent that was blowing cold cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I am with you. We went there last year and the dinner, while good, was a bit overpriced for what we got. Also, I think the ambience may have something to do with that. It was noisy as hell in our area and we were seated under a vent that was blowing cold cold air.
    Yea, the high-end steakhouse business requires a different approach than the retail furniture business, and I’m not sure the new ownership group has adjusted to that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Yea, the high-end steakhouse business requires a different approach than the retail furniture business, and I’m not sure the new ownership group has adjusted to that reality.
    new ownership group??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emounger View Post
    By my experience, that is an uncommon experience. But then I will send a steak back if it is not cooked as I asked for. They are generally very accomodating at the Ranch. But, I've also seen people get upset when they got what they asked for, but figured out it wasn't what they wanted. Never seen the staff argue with anyone or treat them poorly. And, as for the vent with Shorts, just asked to be moved. I doubt they wouldn't accomodate.

By my experience, that is an uncommon experience. But then I will send a steak back if it is not cooked as I asked for. They are generally very accomodating at the Ranch. But, I've also seen people get upset when they got what they asked for, but figured out it wasn't what they wanted. Never seen the staff argue with anyone or treat them poorly. And, as for the vent with Shorts, just asked to be moved. I doubt they wouldn't accomodate.
    They were packed that night and there were no other options. We asked if they could adjust vent but couldn't and couldn't turn down either. If we wanted to have our first meal there then we were stuck in that situation.

Horrible seating was our experience at the Ranch - annoying kids (6-10 yrs old maybe) and idiot parents sat down at the table across from us about 1/3 of the way through our meal, in an almost empty restaurant. Completely f-ed up the atmosphere and no, we weren't going to move our entire set of plates and glasses and silverware when we're partway through the meal, they should *never* have sat that table anywhere close to another occupied table. Food was good, though, but too many other places to go to than one with a clueless host that does that kind of seating.

11. Default Re: Symmetry

I eat at the Ranch a couple of times a year. Always had a perfectly cooked steak and they always ask you to cut into it to make sure it is right.

I also enjoy Red Prime and the one time I went to Mahgony I enjoyed that as well. I keep going back to the ranch because I love their steaks, sides and service.

Just had drinks at Symmetry and that place was absolutely hopping on a Wednesday night.

Was very much the Nichols Hills crowd but I liked the vibe a lot.

I think this place is going to do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Curious. What new ownership group?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQisgoodfood View Post
    Curious. What new ownership group?
    There isn't new ownership, but perhaps April didn't know that the Mathis Brothers have always owned the concept. It was a joint venture originally between the Mathis Bros and Pete Holloway (in fact, the legal name of at least the May location is "Mathis Holloway LLC") but in 2005 (?) Mathis bought Holloway out of the concept entirely and renamed it from "501 Ranch Steakhouse" to "The Ranch Steakhouse". Especially in the late aughts and early 2010s, you could still see a bunch of resemblance between Ranch and Boulevard.

Thread Information