Widgets Magazine

Thread: N Santa Fe/BNSF grade crossing upgrade (Btwn 23rd/36th)

Default N Santa Fe/BNSF grade crossing upgrade (Btwn 23rd/36th)

This crossing upgrade was due anyway, but I’m wondering if the project is indicative of other improvements to Santa Fe or maybe even for BNSF’s existing customers. Is there an overarching plan being worked toward?

Default Re: N Santa Fe/BNSF grade crossing upgrade (Btwn 23rd/36th)

What crossing project are you referring to? The closest grade crossing I am aware of is at 16th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    What crossing project are you referring to? The only grade crossing I am aware of is at 18th Street.
    I believe this is the crossing for the industrial spur that comes out of BNSF Nowers Yard. This spur crosses N Santa Fe immediately south of NE 30th St and it's been in dire need of resurfacing/reworking for years.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I believe this is the crossing for the industrial spur that comes out of BNSF Nowers Yard. This spur crosses N Santa Fe immediately south of NE 30th St and it's been in dire need of resurfacing/reworking for years.
    i just looked at this and wow i didn't realize how much rail infrastructure was in that part of town

Right, the crossing at ~ 30th. I think BNSF is making some other improvements in the Nowers area, which, if accurate, may or may not be related to the grade crossing.

Thanks for the explanation. Was thinking north-south, not east-west across Santa Fe. That crossing is in terrible shape.

Blog Entries

That’s what we called the Lincoln lead. Way before I hired out in 1978, the Santa Fe had 15+ industries they serviced on that spur from Nowers yard. After you crossed Santa Fe street (on the railroad crossing in question), there were 3 separate industrial leads, plus 3 piggyback unloading tracks. It was a well thought out operation, as each warehouse had a separate spur from the lead, so one industry could be reached without disturbing another. By the time I started (1978) we still switched Nabisco, Coors(3-5 cars daily), Safeway(10 cars every night), the piggyback ramps, and Carlisle plastic. Now, from what I hear, it’s only Carlisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    That’s what we called the Lincoln lead. Way before I hired out in 1978, the Santa Fe had 15+ industries they serviced on that spur from Nowers yard. After you crossed Santa Fe street (on the railroad crossing in question), there were 3 separate industrial leads, plus 3 piggyback unloading tracks. It was a well thought out operation, as each warehouse had a separate spur from the lead, so one industry could be reached without disturbing another. By the time I started (1978) we still switched Nabisco, Coors(3-5 cars daily), Safeway(10 cars every night), the piggyback ramps, and Carlisle plastic. Now, from what I hear, it’s only Carlisle.
    Thanks for posting, I always enjoy your input, gives some insight into the usually hidden/unknown infrastructure behind a lot of our daily life...

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    very cool thank you for sharing ..

Pretty amazing what used to exist there for rail-served customers...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LincolnLead.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	18431

Lincoln lead, that’s a nice little tidbit to know—Thanks!

I know they switch Cytovance pretty routinely, as well. Not sure what part of the drug manufacturing process requires railcars of product, but I’ll bet it represents a lot of pills!

Blog Entries

One more memory from the Lincoln Lead. Right before you crossed Santa Fe, next to the last yard track going up to 36th, (called the back lead), was a short spur 3 cars long referred to as the Team track. Team tracks allowed the shipment to be unloaded by the receiver without a dock, just back up the truck. Every year around Thanksgiving, one or two boxcars would arrive with the Christmas trees. When they are ‘wrapped’ up you can get 3-4 truckloads in a boxcar. Which ever switch engine was called to pull the empty car would usually find 4 trees inside for that crew to enjoy.

Thread Information