Widgets Magazine

Thread: Airline: Best and Worse?

Default Airline: Best and Worse?

Oddly, I can think of the best airline....only bad ones. Why has flying become so incredibly frustrating? I used to really enjoy the overall experience.....

Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

#capitalism - how these companies can raise costs, lower amenities, make the overall process worse and more frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Oddly, I can think of the best airline....only bad ones. Why has flying become so incredibly frustrating? I used to really enjoy the overall experience.....
    The fruit of the deregulation tree.

Blog Entries

I was in meetings in Dallas last week and one of the participants was flying to Las Vegas. They had a flight out of Love Field on JSX which has a private terminal. She said the flight was $489 one way, so NOT cheap (and I think that was on the low end). Anyway, I had never heard of it and she raved about it in terms of service, ease of use, etc. Definitely a splurge and nothing out of OKC but I thought it was interesting. Maybe it is well known and I was just unaware.

https://www.jsx.com/home/search

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I was in meetings in Dallas last week and one of the participants was flying to Las Vegas. They had a flight out of Love Field on JSX which has a private terminal. She said the flight was $489 one way, so NOT cheap (and I think that was on the low end). Anyway, I had never heard of it and she raved about it in terms of service, ease of use, etc. Definitely a splurge and nothing out of OKC but I thought it was interesting. Maybe it is well known and I was just unaware.

JSX is relatively new but offers a pretty good happy medium between chartering a flight and flying commercial. You basically are getting a seat on a private aircraft and get to enter through the FBO or FBO equivalent at a commercial airport. I haven't used it yet since they're not in OKC, but know a lot of people in Texas who use it. They also will fly direct to airports that aren't generally serviced by the commercial airports in the area.

6. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    JSX is relatively new but offers a pretty good happy medium between chartering a flight and flying commercial. You basically are getting a seat on a private aircraft and get to enter through the FBO or FBO equivalent at a commercial airport. I haven't used it yet since they're not in OKC, but know a lot of people in Texas who use it. They also will fly direct to airports that aren't generally serviced by the commercial airports in the area.
    Is this the company that the major airlines are trying to get shut down?

I’ve heard from people that Alaska and Hawaiian Airlines are pretty great. A bit more limited in terms of the cities they fly to but I’ve been curious to check them out.

Flying Spirit seems to have gotten worse over the years. Sure you may save money but with the high likelihood of delays and dealing with bad customer service, it almost doesn’t seem worth it.

8. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I’ve heard from people that Alaska and Hawaiian Airlines are pretty great. A bit more limited in terms of the cities they fly to but I’ve been curious to check them out.

Flying Spirit seems to have gotten worse over the years. Sure you may save money but with the high likelihood of delays and dealing with bad customer service, it almost doesn’t seem worth it.
    Alaska is legit. Probably the only US carrier that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Is this the company that the major airlines are trying to get shut down?
    Yep, reminds me of when Uber was first getting started and the taxi cab unions were fighting back.

10. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

We've flown to Europe with Delta twice in the last 12 months and have been really impressed with their transatlantic service--even in basic economy! We have also flown them domestically a couple of times in the same period, and they were good, too. Going forward, I feel like they will be my first choice for long-haul international for sure. Just wish we had JFK service from OKC with them to access their European network without having to connect twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    We've flown to Europe with Delta twice in the last 12 months and have been really impressed with their transatlantic service--even in basic economy! We have also flown them domestically a couple of times in the same period, and they were good, too. Going forward, I feel like they will be my first choice for long-haul international for sure. Just wish we had JFK service from OKC with them to access their European network without having to connect twice!
    Feel like an international flights are always much better quality, even with the American companies. We used to fly overseas with Continental/United a lot and never had any complaints. Flown to SE Asia a lot as well and Japan Airlines and Korean Air definitely feel like a big step up.

12. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Alaksa is my favorite airline. Which makes it better since they are part of OneWorld so I can get AA miles out of it and use benefits. I get upgraded about 75% of the time on Alaska due to my AA status.

That being said, no shocker here but I am all in on AA right now. I think they have the best times and flight schedules out of OKC to most of my preferred destinations. I'll still take SWA to LV and AS to Sea, but everywhere else is AA. AA usually has pretty solid award redemptions (if you book out far enough) and their partner airlines offer even better redemptions on Japan, Cathay, Iberia, and BA. (I flew in biz on Iberia from Venice to Madrid for 15K miles). I flew AA transatlantic last month from OKC to DFW to Rome, the Madrid back to DFW to OKC. I was in Biz on a 787-9 out, and 787-8 back. Both were really nice products, although I know there are better ones. Attached are my seats below. Very comfy and service was terrific.

787-9 DFW to FCO
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	396475547_657302973209851_6617848545269606163_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	18413
    DFW to FCO Meal

Name:	396561137_1431332291063867_4500706402661319617_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	18415
    Iberia Biz Meal (2.45 hr flight)

Name:	396412987_856317339495084_3818147286908752091_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	18416
    787-8 Mad to DFW

Name:	370257425_1808899302862839_4475311345051438638_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	18414
    Mad to DFW Meal

Name:	372699518_351553597446884_748209779075780414_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	18417

I hope to fly the Qsuites on Qatar someday. Those are considered some of the best business seats out there.

My only complaint about the Oneworld Alliance is that if you don't use AA, you are most likely going to have to go through London Heathrow on BA if going to europe. Iberia is another option and while their product is nice, their frequencies from the states leaves a bit to be desired. I think overall the Star Alliances has the best network when going transatlantic or pacific, but their prices and award redemptions are usually pretty hefty.

Flying domestically, Southwest, its not luxurious, but definitely have had the most consistent experience across all of the years of flights compared to other carriers. I have never been stuck (knock on wood) with them and they seem to always adapt quickly with a delay or equipment change. With all the planes being 737's, I never worry about small regional jets or the age of the interior.

They do what what they promise, with little headaches in between.

I was fortunate NOT to fly during the meltdown of their system last holiday season.

For the few flights out of Dallas Love that weren't Southwest, Virgin America was great too, a really fun airline to fly with a modern interior. They sold/merged with Alaska sometime in the late 2010's.

14. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Air travel, to me, is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

15. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

The Companion Pass is such a great perk with Southwest that it keeps me loyal to them domestically.

Two of the best carriers I've flown with were foreign: ANA and Viet Jet. ANA was very hospitable (and they should be for a 14-hour flight), and Viet Jet drove it like a race car and it was the most fun 22-minute flight I've ever been on. Hawaiian and Alaska are my two favorites in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    Two of the best carriers I've flown with were foreign: ANA and Viet Jet. ANA was very hospitable (and they should be for a 14-hour flight), and Viet Jet drove it like a race car and it was the most fun 22-minute flight I've ever been on. Hawaiian and Alaska are my two favorites in the U.S.
    We had a good experience the one time we flew vietjet but dang, if you read their reviews online…

Not sure they can operate the way they do and still be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post

JSX is only slightly more expensive than first class I’ve found. Going right after business travel, not really targeting leisure.

19. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Have flown a number of international airlines. So far, I think Emirates has been the best. Business clas was great, but was also fortunate to score an upgrade with points and fly a 4 hour segment in first class. Top notch experience. After that, KLM and Swissair come to mind. Both great. Also, once all their planes are upgraded, Turkish is very nice and the lounges in Istanbul are off the charts nice.

Domestically, Delta and United, although American is improving. I hear good things about Alaska, but haven't flown them yet.

We're booked on Qatar in the spring. Can't wait to try the QSuites.

20. Default Re: Airline: Best and Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Have flown a number of international airlines. So far, I think Emirates has been the best. Business clas was great, but was also fortunate to score an upgrade with points and fly a 4 hour segment in first class. Top notch experience. After that, KLM and Swissair come to mind. Both great. Also, once all their planes are upgraded, Turkish is very nice and the lounges in Istanbul are off the charts nice.

Domestically, Delta and United, although American is improving. I hear good things about Alaska, but haven't flown them yet.

We're booked on Qatar in the spring. Can't wait to try the QSuites.
    I fly Qatar and Emirates often, and Qatar is a bit better. Definitely the best airline in the world. Alaska is best in the US, I just don't have a reason to fly them anymore as I haven't worked in Alaska for a couple of years. Enjoy Qsuites...it's fantastic!

Blog Entries

Singapore Airlines is pretty hard to beat, especially for long haul and overnight. Emirates Airlines also.

Thread Information