Widgets Magazine

Thread: NW 9th & Walker

Midtown NW 9th & Walker

There is a potential project brewing on this largely vacant block in the middle of Midtown.

There is the old halfway house apartment complex in the middle south section, which has been abandoned for a while. Also a couple of older homes facing ninth.

The entire block -- except one home owned by Midtown Renaissance -- is owned by the Corsair group. My understanding is there is a prominent local developer who is working on a large residential complex with some restaurant/retail space. The land sale has not yet closed.

Corsair owns a bunch of land in Midtown but is generally a speculator, not a developer. They did renovate the building on this same block that contains Jimmy's Egg. They also renovated a series of buildings to the south along Hudson; also just purchased the downtown Purina plan which is in the process of being demolished.

This is a key block and if everything moves forward, will go a long way toward filling a big gap in Midtown.

2. Default Re: NW 9th & Walker

I knew those homes wouldn’t stand a chance haha. This is exciting! Keep filling up Midtown!!

Default Re: NW 9th & Walker

I live right in that exact area and before never thought much of the property. However, every day as the new Phillips Murrah complex continues its progress, it becomes more apparent how much potential this plot has and the incredible impact a large residential complex would have on the entire midtown area.

Very exciting stuff

Application by Richard McKown (developer of Level, Mosiac, The Bower and The Grove housing development) to demolish all the structures on this block.

The turquoise house and the small apartment behind it are owned by MidtownR. The other house and abandoned apartments are owned by Corsair Caughron, which also owns the remainder of the property along with Jimmy's Egg and much of the block to the south of 8th.

I know it will be 4-5 levels of apartments with some retail. Should have more info soon.

Midtown is really starting to fill in.

Is there any indication if someone will save the houses and move them somewhere else or just be torn down?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Is there any indication if someone will save the houses and move them somewhere else or just be torn down?
    They will be demolished.

Both are in pretty rough shape.

HangryHippo Guest

Hopefully these are designed better than his other projects. I’m not a fan of his other complexes.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Hopefully these are designed better than his other projects. I’m not a fan of his other complexes.
    MidtownR only works with Fitzsimmons, Richard McKown mostly works with AHMM, so I think I can guess how it's gonna look like.

This is fantastic news. Every time I go past this block on my way to Elemental I think to myself how remarkably underutilized it is given its stellar location (and now along a BRT stop, too). Eager to see what they have planned and should go a long way to making the area between Hudson/8th and the Phillips Murrah development much more cohesive.

Hopefully they can find away to utilize that beautiful old magnolia tree on the corner.....

Off topic, does anyone know how SSM never acquired that holdout in their parking lot?

Always a curiosity when I'm parking in that lot, there are cars with flat tires that are chained to the fence, just an odd place that occupies a different time/space dimension from that which is adjacent yet apparently it carries on...

^

I suspect they have tried but the owner just doesn't want to sell.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Let’s hope that rendering is just that because that is an utter disappointment.
    That won't even be close to the final product.

From the article:

McKown cautioned renderings of the development submitted to the city as part of the demolition application are conceptual, drawn by McKown to show his overall vision for the block. He said architectural renderings will be started should the project proceed.

Will the developers be forced to build around the 1982 Corvette Collector's Edition that has been under a tarp/sheet/blanket for a few decades now ? Cuz I don't think there's any way to separate that long standing monument for the earth which upon it sits.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvaflav View Post
    Will the developers be forced to build around the 1982 Corvette Collector's Edition that has been under a tarp/sheet/blanket for a few decades now ? Cuz I don't think there's any way to separate that long standing monument for the earth which upon it sits.
    I looked back on googlemaps to see how long it had actually been there and it was there in the June of 2014 street view, but not July of 2011. So it has been there for roughly ten years, but a new tarp was put on it sometime between May of 2018 and February of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I looked back on googlemaps to see how long it had actually been there and it was there in the June of 2014 street view, but not July of 2011. So it has been there for roughly ten years, but a new tarp was put on it sometime between May of 2018 and February of 2019.
    Boy, we are easily entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Boy, we are easily entertained.
    But I do that kind of thing too. It’s like a modern day Where’s Waldo.

This project is moving forward.

Tenants in the two remaining houses have been given notice to vacate.

Will take some time, but we should see some designs this summer.

Thread Information