Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ember

1. Default The Ember

https://youtu.be/lqKN2Z6XTZ8

“The Ember is a luxury development where friends share life together. Neighbors walk to their favorite café for morning coffee, stroll through the new Stephenson Park on a relaxing Saturday afternoon, and could end the day on their porch swing while sharing a glass of wine with a friend under the glow of a gas lantern. This unique pocket neighborhood is comprised of 23 cottages of 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms up to 2,200 square feet. The Ember offers the rare opportunity to own a new home in one of Edmond’s most sought after neighborhoods.”

Love Edmond more and more every day!

Default Re: The Ember

From the website, it looks like it is the small NW corner of 9th and Boulevard in Edmond.

https://www.edmondember.com/

While some love whats new, some of us older folks who moved here over 40 yrs ago and built our places from the ground up in order to be out in the country and have animals and livestock are less then trilled to have a bunch of small lots up against our larger acreages. The idea of driving the mile section roads or riding them is getting to be impossible. If I drive the miles sections then I am worried about getting hit by a car or truck. (driving a 2 wheel road cart, my only roll over accident happened a number of years ago, with only my horse and me shook up and a bent shaft. I've even had to have a sign put up near my driveway for me to pull my truck out, hopefully safely. A few years I pulled out, my Tacoma has a 4 cy, 5 speed and yes give me a half mile to get up to speed limit. A certain dummy on a hot bike with you know the funny flashing lights was going well a bit more over then the speed limit and almost wound up in the back of my truck. And no he did not have his "colorful" lights on. Just driving a bit too fast coming over a hill.

The Embers…what’s left when the fire burns out.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    While some love whats new, some of us older folks who moved here over 40 yrs ago and built our places from the ground up in order to be out in the country and have animals and livestock are less then trilled to have a bunch of small lots up against our larger acreages. The idea of driving the mile section roads or riding them is getting to be impossible. If I drive the miles sections then I am worried about getting hit by a car or truck. (driving a 2 wheel road cart, my only roll over accident happened a number of years ago, with only my horse and me shook up and a bent shaft. I've even had to have a sign put up near my driveway for me to pull my truck out, hopefully safely. A few years I pulled out, my Tacoma has a 4 cy, 5 speed and yes give me a half mile to get up to speed limit. A certain dummy on a hot bike with you know the funny flashing lights was going well a bit more over then the speed limit and almost wound up in the back of my truck. And no he did not have his "colorful" lights on. Just driving a bit too fast coming over a hill.
    This development is a half-mile away from downtown Edmond and a brisk walk from Stephenson Park? How in any way does this push "smaller lots up against larger acreages"?

If this was out on Coffee Creek or Waterloo I'd understand your grievance a bit more, however, this development is in the middle of Edmond so I really am not grasping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    This development is a half-mile away from downtown Edmond and a brisk walk from Stephenson Park? How in any way does this push "smaller lots up against larger acreages"?

If this was out on Coffee Creek or Waterloo I'd understand your grievance a bit more, however, this development is in the middle of Edmond so I really am not grasping it.
    I was thinking the exact same thing about the "acreage" post. Such a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing about the "acreage" post. Such a head scratcher.
    Edmond hasn’t been “country” in the last 40 years. This property is close to downtown and no where close to East Edmond which has more larger acreage land.

Not sure the post even looked to see where it would be located.

This is satire, right? Right??

This makes me understand why Edmond will never have a true mixed-use retail/housing development, and it's sad.

Residents likely said the same thing about you when you moved in 40 years ago. Based on the events of history every land owner had a larger more secluded lot at some point in time.

Blog Entries

It’s a shame that these types of developments usually make the abutting property way more valuable.

If a development like this does actually happen near you I don’t think it would affect what you do on your property or make it any smaller… just more valuable.

The problem is not that my property would be less valuable but how do you keep people from coming on to "explore"? How do you keep them from messing with your livestock? I lived in town just off of downtown edmond and each day was another adventure with people cutting my fence, throwing rocks at my horses, dumping branches in my pasture and I could go one and one. Already I know of some friends who are having their fence cut and people coming into their pasture riding 4 wheelers.

The problem is not that my property would be less valuable but how do you keep people from coming on to "explore"? How do you keep them from messing with your livestock? I lived in town just off of downtown edmond and each day was another adventure with people cutting my fence, throwing rocks at my horses, dumping branches in my pasture and I could go one and one. Already I know of some friends who are having their fence cut and people coming into their pasture riding 4 wheelers.
    Near downtown?

No one with livestock lives anywhere near any remotely urban development in Edmond (because there are not many).

I thought I remember you saying you live east of I-35?

It's a nonsense complaint but that post does say lived not live.

Below is the map and the subject development is the red arrow, for reference, in case any one hasn't looked it up.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 094740.jpg

18. Default Re: The Ember

Stretching new development south of the main downtown strip is such a good idea. Downtown Edmond is very impressive and is growing like crazy!

My only complaint about this development is the loss of the beautiful house and lot that was there... but it's gone already and progress is inevitable unless you're dying. This is a great looking development with a great location - hopefully it happens. This is exactly the type of development in the right area that my wife and I will be considering in the coming years as we downsize.

In 1955?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    In 1955?
    1981-1982. I sold just before Penn square bank did its thing. I sold to a developer/investor, real estate agent that divided it up and built small homes of 1000 t 1200 sq ft. Ok affordable homes and they are still there. I did my part to support affordable housing in Edmond. I then bought my 10 ac which was out in the sticks and built my current place. I cannot say that I got hurt on the deal. Now 40 yrs later, I am not out in the country anymore. I am too old to build a place from the ground up but I want to be able to ride and drive the road without cars/trucks hitting me or my horse.

Blog Entries

1981-1982. I sold just before Penn square bank did its thing. I sold to a developer/investor, real estate agent that divided it up and built small homes of 1000 t 1200 sq ft. Ok affordable homes and they are still there. I did my part to support affordable housing in Edmond. I then bought my 10 ac which was out in the sticks and built my current place. I cannot say that I got hurt on the deal. Now 40 yrs later, I am not out in the country anymore. I am too old to build a place from the ground up but I want to be able to ride and drive the road without cars/trucks hitting me or my horse.
    You’re wanting to ride your horse on the road?

i did that for many years. I rode or drove the roads. I even road into town to get parts at the auto parts store for my truck. That is one of the reasons I moved out here. I spent 40 yrs building up my place.

Blog Entries

i did that for many years. I rode or drove the roads. I even road into town to get parts at the auto parts store for my truck. That is one of the reasons I moved out here. I spent 40 yrs building up my place.
    Those days are long passed, except maybe in remote rural areas of Oklahoma. The world does not stand still because we like a particular time in history.

I still want to ride the roads, what about people walking the roads? or riding their bike or as I have seen pushing their baby stroller??What are we to do if we dont want to move and build again from stratch. What about us older folks in our 60s??

Thread Information