Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purina Downtown

Default Re: Purina Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    So why did it close in the first place?
    Probably was coming due to either have a major machinery overhaul or sell it off. Between being downtown property, a older facility (so smaller property in general and not really ideal for modern transports), and having a much more modern/larger facility in like 20 miles away. It is almost surprising it was still operating as recently as it was.

Blog Entries

It was amazing the plant still had rail service, the UP probably ran 2 times a week (a guess), would bring 4-6 carloads, run around them and take the empty cars. The plant used a ‘track mobile’ to then switch the cars in and out. It was a little journey on 10 mph track from the main at Reno making a nice half circle past fairgrounds. The BNSF sends the dog food job up to Edmond 5 days a week with 8-12+ cars 5 days a week with two locos. And they do all the plant switching.

3. Default Re: Purina Downtown

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231016_102913.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	861.6 KB 
ID:	18381

^

Awesome, thanks.

As of now, the only demo permit is for that big warehouse that is coming down.

I hope they keep the elevators in the hopes the next owner can repurpose them; would look cool all lit up.

They may not come down right away, but it feels like odds of keeping the remaining structures is low given these most recent photos.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They may not come down right away, but it feels like odds of keeping the remaining structures is low given these most recent photos.
    I'm afraid you're right, especially because there is no fencing about the main structures and you can almost bet the homeless are going to be climbing in there and lighting fires on the next cold night.

The developer at OAK told me he decided to demolish the old office park sooner then they had planned due to break-ins and liability, and that was at 50th & Penn, not an already blighted area.

Looks like they may be done with demolition for now:

Would be cool to see the checkerboard preserved and incorporated into whatever replaces this

If they are going to leave any part of that structure, they had better put up a very good fence.

There are a ton of homeless all around there and they will be looking for a place to stay warm over the winter and as things stand now, there is nothing to stop them from climbing into that building.

Also, a huge environmental cleanup is going to be required before they repurpose any part of that property.

They continue to dismantle this plant. Not sure if they are going to take it all down or leave parts; their demolition permit was vague.

They had a big crane out there yesterday as well as a bunch of other equipment, so clearly they aren't finished.

They are probably carefully dismantling it, as some of the remaining equipment probably can be sold and reused.

I wish WACO would relocate their salvage yard to another location other Classen Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I wish WACO would relocate their salvage yard to another location other Classen Blvd.
    Buy them and move them. Looks like they been operating there for 60 years without anyone complaining. I'm guessing over $5 million for property, equipment and business.

16. Default Re: Purina Downtown

The remaining structures almost look like candidates for implosion, for a number of reasons. I wonder if they are stripping everything that can be easily stripped, before going down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The remaining structures almost look like candidates for implosion, for a number of reasons. I wonder if they are stripping everything that can be easily stripped, before going down that road.
    I can't imagine implosion in that dense area is cheaper or less risky, when all potential side effects are factored.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They continue to dismantle this plant. Not sure if they are going to take it all down or leave parts; their demolition permit was vague.

They had a big crane out there yesterday as well as a bunch of other equipment, so clearly they aren't finished.
    I was at Fairweather Saturday and they were taking the wrecking ball to the main concrete tower structure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2310.jpeg 
Views:	206 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	18512

^
    Kapow!

Thanks for the photo.

Goner:

23. Default Re: Purina Downtown

Woohoo!

I see a number of other buildings that I'd like to see gone as well. In my dream world, we get a very nice upscale mixed use development in this area. Something like Oak would be ideal.

Thread Information