Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Amphitheater

Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

I'm sure Sam Coury is providing a lot to them as part of the Mustang Creek Crossing development.

Also, most the infrastructure is in place or already budgeted by ODOT.

the NIMBYS are protesting the Sunset Amphitheater, we will see where this goes

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    the NIMBYS are protesting the Sunset Amphitheater, we will see where this goes
    Probably will go about the same way it would’ve without the NIMBYs protesting it

What is a NIMBY??

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    What is a NIMBY??
    Not In My BackYard. Used for those opposed to the addition of something in their area

Ok. Thanks!

Sounds like the OKC City Council just shot this down 7-2 as currently planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    Sounds like the OKC City Council just shot this down 7-2 as currently planned.
    Yes, only Stonecipher and Cooper voted for it.

I wonder where this will go from here; that's a strong 'no' vote.

Well, OKC's summer concert nightmares just keep getting worse. Lots of tax dollars will be going to Tulsa and Broken Arrow, should that protect up there get finished. But since they are getting TIF up there, it is far more likely to be built.

Oh well. Maybe someone else will try building a true 10k+ amphitheater (not likely, given the City Council is very against one).

Do the developers on this have any reasonable chance of sueing and getting the decision reversed?

Or maybe the Sunset people try and find a location that is less impactful on housing additions.

I know they looked at Chisholm Creek and you'd think Producer's Coop would be a great location.

BTW, the Zoo Amp just announced a bunch of concerts for this summer, including Blues Travelers, Howard Jones, and Cake:

https://www.prekindle.com/events/zoo-amphitheatre

^ Chisholm Creek or Producer's Coop would make a whole lot more sense than in the middle of a neighborhood.

13. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

^^^^^^^
    Complete line-ups are pretty cool:

• Legends of Hip Hop featuring Ice Cube, E-40, and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (I've never seen Cube and would like to, but have seen Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and they're pretty good live in my experience)
    • Blues Traveler with Big Head Todd and the Monsters (have seen both bands and they were both great live when I saw each of them)
    • Howard Jones, ABC, Haircut One Hundred (I def want to go to this one)
    • Slightly Stoopid, Dirty Heads, Hirie, The Expendables (I'd like to see Dirty Heads but not very dialed in on the other acts)
    • An evening with Cake (saw them years ago, would go again if I didn't have anything better to do that night)

Plenty of development ready land out west of Yukon on I-40 & Frisco Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    [*]Howard Jones, ABC, Haircut One Hundred (I def want to go to this one)
    I've seen HoJo a couple of times and he's fantastic -- still one of the more talented musicians in pop music.

16. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Even the currently proposed location is too remote from the population center of the metro, in my opinion. There would be diminishing returns the further west it's moved. Would be a pretty regrettable business decision.

17. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've seen HoJo a couple of times and he's fantastic -- still one of the more talented musicians in pop music.
    Yeah, would love to see him, for sure. But that particular lineup I'm even more excited about ABC, to be honest.

Yeah, would love to see him, for sure. But that particular lineup I'm even more excited about ABC, to be honest.
    That's the look, that's the look!

Omg abc!!!!

Part of the reason that area is undeveloped is that city services for water and sewage need major upgrades before can be run into the area. Plus west of I-40 & Frisco Road is still OKC, so it seems questionable how much that is going to make OKC leadership more for it.

Grated even if it were in Yukon city limits that probably is only going down in flames faster. Depending on how it was oriented/constructed/equipped most of the developed city of Yukon could be potentially be impacted by noise. Plus the neighborhood just east of I-40 & Frisco Road would likely campaign as hard as those that did not want it near I-40 & Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Plus west of I-40 & Frisco Road is still OKC, so it seems questionable how much that is going to make OKC leadership more for it.
    they were against because of the mass protests against it .. that would not be the same that far west

and like it or not that neighborhood is not in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they were against because of the mass protests against it .. that would not be the same that far west

and like it or not that neighborhood is not in OKC
    The plan OKC has been leaning to for expansion of water/sewage in that region is dependent on partnership with Yukon, so even if the existing population likely effected by noise are not in OKC, does not mean that Yukon has no influence with OKC. I do not remember the cost differences exactly between the options they were considering, but the taxes collected by this venue probably would never come close to covering the cost differences of OKC building it's own waste water treatment plant in the area verses partnering with Yukon at the one they already have nearby. There also is the issue of the majority of development for the area would likely be very similar to site they just declined, possibly with more common retail/commercial space.

^^^^^^^
    Complete line-ups are pretty cool:

• Legends of Hip Hop featuring Ice Cube, E-40, and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (I've never seen Cube and would like to, but have seen Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and they're pretty good live in my experience)
    • Blues Traveler with Big Head Todd and the Monsters (have seen both bands and they were both great live when I saw each of them)
    • Howard Jones, ABC, Haircut One Hundred (I def want to go to this one)
    • Slightly Stoopid, Dirty Heads, Hirie, The Expendables (I'd like to see Dirty Heads but not very dialed in on the other acts)
    • An evening with Cake (saw them years ago, would go again if I didn't have anything better to do that night)
    Does have Blues Traveler have a big enough draw to fill up the zoo?

24. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Does have Blues Traveler have a big enough draw to fill up the zoo?
    I mean, they're headlining Red Rocks on July 4. Not just any act gets to headline at Red Rocks. I'm guessing the venue is expecting to sell at least a FEW tickets to that show. I no longer subscribe to Pollstar, so can't access the data piece, but after a quick Google search I found that as recently as 2021 they were consistently a top 10 touring act that summer. Big Head Todd has a pretty solid live following too. I'd guess the show will be pretty full.

25. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

response from the developer seems to indicate they are willing to pursue other cites in the city/metro that may be a better fit.

Perhaps there's a way to impress on them the value of having this venue in the downtown area, creating a true entertainment district along with the arena, MLS stadium, Legends Tower/Boardwalk, and so on. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information