Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Amphitheater

Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

You are conflating two different points. In your hypothesis, of course the parking nearest the seating is not at ground level, hence the impossibly sloped parking lot. At Tennessee, they didn't attempt something so costly and unrealistic even in a much smaller facility; they merely built a structure at the back and kept the area around it flat.

It's one or the other given a venue this size. You either have impossibly sloped parking (and huge retaining walls and big slopes in all directions) or you build a structure at the rear that would need to be quite high to have any slope at all given the number of seats and big chunks being low density.

The renderings show neither and my point is they can't be close to what they end up building. So, what will it actually look like? How far will most seats be away from the stage? We don't know but there is no way they can build as depicted.

I expect that if this is built, it won't much resemble the images and therefore they should be largely disregarded as unrealistic marketing hype.

Colorado-based Notes Live has submitted planning documents for the proposed 12,000-seat amphitheater in far west Oklahoma City near Mustang.

The exact location would be just north of Mustang North Middle School, with Kilpatrick Turnpike to the West, SW 15th to the south and between Mustang Road and Sarah Road. I-40 is just to the north.

The group is under construction on a similar project in Colorado Springs and is seeking investors for additional locations around the U.S., including Tulsa.

For the OKC facility, they are still advertising fire pit memberships for sale.

From their website:

"The Sunset Amphitheater at Mustang Creek will be a state-of-the-art outdoor amphitheater located in Oklahoma City, with a total capacity of 12,000, comprised of 120 eight-person VIP fire pit suites available for lifetime purchase, 12 super suites, lower and upper bowl fixed seating, and a general admission lawn. Each fire pit suite will feature a natural gas-powered fire pit and fully configurable seats with abundant room for food and beverages, to make for an exceptional and private environment to take in a show. The amenity-rich fire pit suites offer incredible views of the stage. To elevate the experience even further, they will include high-touch service for food and beverage before and during the show. The Sunset Amphitheater at Mustang Creek will be the most luxurious and hospitality focused music venue in Oklahoma City."

So the entry/exit is utilizing the old turnpike. That is pretty cool.

The Adventure District is a better option for this project, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Beggars can't be choosers.

BTW, the plans filed are significantly different than those renderings.

Far less slope and most the seats are significantly farther from the stage than depicted.

I'll post more of the details later which demonstrate this.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    So who is begging for this? There seems to be quite some questioning and apprehension about the viability of this project as presented.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    So who is begging for this? There seems to be quite some questioning and apprehension about the viability of this being viable as presented.
    I’ve seen exactly no one begging.

So who is begging for this? There seems to be quite some questioning and apprehension about the viability of this project as presented.
    OKC is maybe the largest market not served by an adequate outdoor amphitheater for summer tours. Most want 10k and up. The Zoo holds 7k, and can't be added on. The need is massive for OKC. Losing concert dollars to Rogers, AR is just embarrassing.

Figured there would be some big differences between concept art and reality. Still hard to get a grasp of what the average seat will look like, but the pit area in front looks smaller and there appear to be more "regular" bleacher seats than originally depicted. Both are good changes. Still not as good to be sitting way in the back of this thing vs. in the upper seats at the Paycom center based on total distance, but alas.

YETI Music Coliseum ? Wonder what they ponied up for that. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	18507

OKC is maybe the largest market not served by an adequate outdoor amphitheater for summer tours. Most want 10k and up. The Zoo holds 7k, and can't be added on. The need is massive for OKC. Losing concert dollars to Rogers, AR is just embarrassing.
    Rogers is over 200 miles away from OKC. Whether or not this project comes to fruition, it will have zero impact on Rogers. BTW the Rogers facility has <10k seats.

Rogers is over 200 miles away from OKC. Whether or not this project comes to fruition, it will have zero impact on Rogers. BTW the Rogers facility has <10k seats.
    My bad. It is still 2,500 more than OKC, and has triple the events than the Zoo Amp, if not more. I was SOLELY using them for comparison to the face they have a better outdoor amphitheater than OKC, which is pathetic.

Not sure why an outdoor amphitheater is a bad thing. I just don't get it.

Though it still should bring up questions about do they know what they are doing, or will happen at all, as noted earlier are a relatively new operation.

Ether between OKC/Edmond or Moore/Norman seems to make more sense on being closer to a larger percentage of the metro's population. Plus we have better North/South highway capacity than East/West, though in the next decade or two new turnpikes should help that a bit on the south side of the metro.

It may not mean anything but I noticed the latest renderings in their ads in the Oklahoman show some kind of roof or covering above the seats.

These are the latest renderings on their website.

Anyone else find it obnoxious that it's in Oklahoma City, has a Yukon address, but they are calling it Mustang?

Oh, that's pretty! I like the covering! I know it will change before the final version, but the fact a covering is being considered now is a huge step.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Anyone else find it obnoxious that it's in Oklahoma City, has a Yukon address, but they are calling it Mustang?
    Kind of par for the course in the area. Where OKC city limits, Yukon mailing addresses, and Mustang school district all overlap. Being adjacent to a Mustang school and near Mustang road, it makes sense how people that are not a resident in that area probably will associate it with Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Kind of par for the course in the area. Where OKC city limits, Yukon mailing addresses, and Mustang school district all overlap. Being adjacent to a Mustang school and near Mustang road, it makes sense how people that are not a resident in that area probably will associate it with Mustang.
    You aren't wrong, but I've noticed that this definition of "Mustang" has slowly crept up to I40. As someone who grew up in Mustang proper and went to high school there, I'm well aware of everything between Mustang and Yukon being OKC proper, but for all intents and purposes in my mind the border between "Mustang" and "Yukon" was SW44th street. Yes I know this isn't perfect, but the majority of people above have a Yukon address, and below Mustang.

Obviously public perception has shifted since I lived there, but when I see things around I40 being called Mustang area I just can't help but find that to be odd.

As long as the tax revenue goes to OKC, I don't care where they say it is!

23. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

You aren't wrong, but I've noticed that this definition of "Mustang" has slowly crept up to I40. As someone who grew up in Mustang proper and went to high school there, I'm well aware of everything between Mustang and Yukon being OKC proper, but for all intents and purposes in my mind the border between "Mustang" and "Yukon" was SW44th street. Yes I know this isn't perfect, but the majority of people above have a Yukon address, and below Mustang.

Obviously public perception has shifted since I lived there, but when I see things around I40 being called Mustang area I just can't help but find that to be odd.
    I am with you- when I think of Mustang I think of Fireworks City and that area around the high school. I was wondering the same about why they are terming it "Mustang". The amp is not going to be attending MPS, so hahah.

Remember, this amphitheater is part of a project called Mustang Creek Crossing and two Mustang schools are directly south.

The shade cover will be great to block out the sun, but I would think they would need some big fans to keep air moving through it as well.

Thread Information