Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chinese Takeout

Default Chinese Takeout

Recently had my go-to spot and have been lamenting the fact that it isn't what it used to be. What is your go-to in this arena?

Default Re: Chinese Takeout

I really like Szechuan Story.

Same situation happened to my mother. After trying multiple Chinese restaurants my mother picked He Rui at N. Penn Ave and Hefner Rd. It was cheaper and tasted better than her previous go-to.

https://www.heruichineseok.com/

T&T Kitchen- Southside. Best egg rolls ever. Not like the stock ones everywhere else.

Agreed on Szechuan Story. Also a fan of Yummy Yummy.

I don't make it over to Warr Acres often these days, but Yummy Yummy was always my go-to.

When we lived near Belle Isle, we frequented Chow's on N May and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypon View Post
    I don't make it over to Warr Acres often these days, but Yummy Yummy was always my go-to.
    If you're on door dash, they run a fantastic delivery operation. Always very quick and hot/fresh (as fresh as delivery/take out Chinese can be), and I don't live close.

Yummy Yummy is our go to. we have delivered to crestwood and it does arrive fresh and fast.

Chow's, Szechuan Story, and Golden Phoenix are great if you're in the urban core

Chow's - 30th/May
    Golden Phoenix/Fung's Kitchen/Szechuan Story/Lido/VII - Asian District
    Szechuan Bistro - Memorial/Western
    Oodles of Noodles & Dumplings - McArthur south of memorial
    Chuanyu Fusion/Speedy Wok - Hefner/Rockwell
    Long Zhu - Mid/Del City
    Mr. Hui/Magic Noodle - Norman

Some of my favorites, probably missing some, but these are all really solid in my opinion. Various levels of Americanized/authentic options depending on the location.

HangryHippo Guest

Another vote for Mr. Hui in Norman. It’s delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Chow's - 30th/May
    Golden Phoenix/Fung's Kitchen/Szechuan Story/Lido/VII - Asian District
    Szechuan Bistro - Memorial/Western
    Oodles of Noodles & Dumplings - McArthur south of memorial
    Chuanyu Fusion/Speedy Wok - Hefner/Rockwell
    Long Zhu - Mid/Del City
    Mr. Hui/Magic Noodle - Norman

Some of my favorites, probably missing some, but these are all really solid in my opinion. Various levels of Americanized/authentic options depending on the location.
    Oodles of Noodles is closed until Oct 5th.

Thanks everyone!

15. Default Re: Chinese Takeout

Although I am normally not a shill for Del City I'd also throw in Mandarin. True pan-fried rice (like Chow's) and the tempura batter they use on their Hawaiian chicken is to die for.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Although I am normally not a shill for Del City I'd also throw in Mandarin. True pan-fried rice (like Chow's) and the tempura batter they use on their Hawaiian chicken is to die for.
    If this is the place by Subway on 15th, totally agree. And the egg rolls, yum!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	18247

I had to go get T&T because of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	18247

I had to go get T&T because of this thread.
    that post piqued my curiosity, too... what is your verdict? from the picture, it looks like the filling is a little heavy on the cabbage for my personal tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    that post piqued my curiosity, too... what is your verdict? from the picture, it looks like the filling is a little heavy on the cabbage for my personal tastes.
    Well I am the one that originally mentioned it, so it is always the best for me. I grew up Southside eating this place for about 35 years. They do have more cabbage than most but are made in house from scratch. We usually get 6 egg rolls, a chicken lo mein, 2 large ham fried rice, a sweet and sour chicken and a sesame chicken. Their chicken pieces are larger than most and the sesame is a separate sauce you pour over. The are cash only and pickup/delivery only. Try it!

oh... ha. i didn't see that both of those were your posts! so, yeah, kind of obvious what your verdict is. : )

they *have* been around forever... my dad worked at southwest medical center for around 30 years, and they were getting takeout from t&t in the 1970's. in all that time, i don't think i've ever tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh... ha. i didn't see that both of those were your posts! so, yeah, kind of obvious what your verdict is. : )

they *have* been around forever... my dad worked at southwest medical center for around 30 years, and they were getting takeout from t&t in the 1970's. in all that time, i don't think i've ever tried it.
    I didn’t realize it had been that long. We used to get it delivered as kid near 104th and Penn and it was always a treat. Def go and just try. Even if it is not to your liking you won’t spend a lot. What we spend here (under $40) pales in what we spend closer to us (QQ China $70).

Sichuan Story

It’s already been mentioned but for traditional sichuan style food it’s fairly authentic. Cost wise it’s okay too and the staff is pretty nice as well. You could probably $20 to $30 and feed 2 or 3 people if you split the meals and eat the way people do in China.

Northern Noodle House

They are also pretty good and authentic too. Lots of good authentic noodles. Decent prices and nice staff too. I haven’t been there in awhile though.

Thread Information