Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Default 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

iHeartRadio's 94.7 Signal looks to be flipping from Sports Talk to something else...

https://radioinsight.com/announcemen...f-programming/

Any guesses on what the format change could be?

Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Wow! Hard to believe their ratings are that low.

3. Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Bring back 95x!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Bring back 95x!
    I mean they tried a lot of variations with the Buzz and the Brew before flipping to the sports talk they have now. With so many music options digitally like Spotify, Apple, Pandora, Amazon Unlimited, I am not sure any music format would be that successful anymore unless you have local talent behind it.

I can’t imagine a sports talk station flipping over to any type of music format. I would expect more music formats switching to some type of news/sports talk as listening to music OTA is functionally obsolete.

I could see how dedicated sports talk radio station could have still made sense in 2000s, but even two years ago when they went to this format sports podcasts had gotten wide spread enough, even rebroadcasting existing content seems an expensive way to compete in that space.

7. Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I could see how dedicated sports talk radio station could have still made sense in 2000s, but even two years ago when they went to this format sports podcasts had gotten wide spread enough, even rebroadcasting existing content seems an expensive way to compete in that space.
    More and more I seem to be the one that's different on here. I love sports radio. I can't stream podcasts or anything else at work and would rather not it the car. But I can get FM.

8. Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    More and more I seem to be the one that's different on here. I love sports radio. I can't stream podcasts or anything else at work and would rather not it the car. But I can get FM.
    I fall in the older millennial group and once unlimited data and carplay became a thing I don't even have radio stations programmed in my car.

In my opinion, part of the blame for the lack of success was technical. What ever way 94.7 was receiving the programming from KREF was terrible. It sounded very "tinny", had no dynamic range and was usually much lower in volume than 98.1 or 107.7

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I mean they tried a lot of variations with the Buzz and the Brew before flipping to the sports talk they have now. With so many music options digitally like Spotify, Apple, Pandora, Amazon Unlimited, I am not sure any music format would be that successful anymore unless you have local talent behind it.
    The Buzz was fantastic and honestly I miss it greatly. They had great local talent and arguably the best active/alternative rock playlist in the state at the time (though Z104.5 The Edge up in Tulsa was - and still is - damn good as well) - plus they gave opportunities to local bands to get their music played on air too. They lasted for 7 years as The Buzz, so it wasn't like it was an experiment or anything. Once they format flipped to The Brew, I never listened again - they turned into an awful KATT clone and I absolutely HATED their misogynistic branding too.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I fall in the older millennial group and once unlimited data and carplay became a thing I don't even have radio stations programmed in my car.
    Hello there fellow Elder Millenial! I did too, but that's only because terrestrial radio has turned into a wasteland as these big media conglomerates have pulled programming decisions away from local program directors in favor of nationalized playlists. It's rare to find music-focused stations that aren't just homogeneous crap nowadays. There are only a couple of radio stations I enjoy listening to anymore, and neither of them are in our market :P

So if I want the Ref programming I need to listen to AM now?

So what's the new format on 94.7??

I tuned in at 6 PM, the break before seemed normal, no talk of it being the last time for KREF programming, and no announcement. At 6 PM it went right into Fox Sports Radio National update.

So still sports....for now.

14. Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

OKC could use a Dance Music station imo, even Pride Radio could do wonders in OKC.

And maybe another Top 40 to challenge KJ103. Perhaps also a smooth jazz and a regular jazz station. There are missing holes in OKC's music offering. I personally think OKC has far too many sports talk radio and religious stations (although I'd love to see a real gospel station). Also missing is an Asian station or two.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    that's only because terrestrial radio has turned into a wasteland as these big media conglomerates have pulled programming decisions away from local program directors in favor of nationalized playlists. It's rare to find music-focused stations that aren't just homogeneous crap nowadays. There are only a couple of radio stations I enjoy listening to anymore, and neither of them are in our market :P
    I really like listening to The Spy in the evenings on KOSU. They do a great job and have a bunch of local radio shows.

It looks like 94.7 will be broadcasting Fox Sports Radio all day. Tune in this morning and the Dan Patrick Show was on.

I wish OKC had a station like KXT out of Dallas.
    www.kxt.org

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I really like listening to The Spy in the evenings on KOSU. They do a great job and have a bunch of local radio shows.
    In case you don't already know, KOSU and The Spy are making a major move to near downtown OKC.

https://www.ocolly.com/news/kosu-and...0cabee6f6.html

19. Default Re: 94.7 Dropping KREF Programming - Format Flip?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    In case you don't already know, KOSU and The Spy are making a major move to near downtown OKC.

https://www.ocolly.com/news/kosu-and...0cabee6f6.html
    ?? https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...Farmers-Market

I wonder why OKC has so many sports radio stations??

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I wonder why OKC has so many sports radio stations??
    TodayÂ’s music is terrible. Not to mention the big corporate owned stations play the same songs over and over. People have left it for sports programming and other options such as streaming or digital music services. Right now I stream Big Country 99.5 out of Tulsa and WCPR 97.9 out of Gulfport/Biloxi.

I'm surprised that most sports talk hasn't moved to the podcast format. That's what most news news talk/current events type radio has moved to.

With Android Auto, I never listen to radio anymore. It's all streaming and podcasts for me.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm surprised that most sports talk hasn't moved to the podcast format. That's what most news news talk/current events type radio has moved to.

With Android Auto, I never listen to radio anymore. It's all streaming and podcasts for me.
    Many sports radio shows incorporate call in listeners to supplement the topic being discussed. Pre recorded podcasts would not be able to do that.

It would be nice if the UCO jazz lab could have a university funded jazz radio station. Los Angeles has 88.1 and occasionally they’ll play old school and the blues on weekends. It’s super nice. I have a feeling that it could work here.

The Bay Area has a cool EDM station but I’m not sure a full time format like that would work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be nice if the UCO jazz lab could have a university funded jazz radio station. Los Angeles has 88.1 and occasionally they’ll play old school and the blues on weekends. It’s super nice. I have a feeling that it could work here.

The Bay Area has a cool EDM station but I’m not sure a full time format like that would work here.
    KROU @105.7 FM in OKC is a repeater station for KGOU in Norman. They broadcast Jazz and Blues on the weekend.

Thread Information