Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Thunder alley has been gone since like 2012

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Tuesday, March 12, 2024
    Indiana Pacers @ Oklahoma City Thunder
    Paycom Center, OKC - 7:00 PM
    TV - Bally Sports Oklahoma
    WWLS-The Sports Animal Oklahoma City (98.1 FM), Tulsa (97.1 FM)

Does anyone know if the Thunder playoff games will be on ESPN or TNT(or both)?

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Should be both.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Does anyone know if the Thunder playoff games will be on ESPN or TNT(or both)?
    Both but TNT and TBS get more games I think. Weekends games on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Thunder alley has been gone since like 2012
    I thought they still had a little something like the beer garden, Thunder drummers, and other things for kids on Reno for Playoff games after that. Didn't they a little area set up at scissortail park too last season near Sparks. I know in the winter they don't do anything. Went back and looked they had stuff on Reno for the 18-19 playoffs. I have pictures.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Geez! Are they even bringing a team?
    Narrator: Memphis did not bring a team.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Narrator: Memphis did not bring a team.
    Ya I was at the game. Just straight killed them. Hopefully JDub is ok.

This is sort of Thunder adjacent, so I thought this might be a good place to start.

Last couple of times my wife and I have gone to a Thunder game we've decided to make evenings of it and rent a hotel room. The first couple of times we did it mostly because we wanted to stay in some of the nicer hotels, mostly the Omni and Colcord. Now that we've experience those, we've decided we really like renting a room and doing a game. We tend to only do this a couple of times a years, but we probably can't afford to do those 2 hotels every time as much as we'd like too. Next time I'm considering trying the Sheraton, it seems to be a decent amount cheaper, but still a nice hotel. I was curious if anyone else does something similar and what their hotel choice is. I'm really looking to maximize convenience. I like the idea of parking in the century center garage, and then being able to do everything from there, but if there is something better I'd sure be curious.

If I did stay in the Sheraton, is it still possible to cut through the Cox convention center garage? Or is that all blocked off now?

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Lots of options. Are you specifically wanting a full service hotel? Or, in order to bring down the price point, would you be OK with a very nice, clean corporate, limited service hotel?

If the former, another option is the Hilton Garden Inn Bricktown, which is a streetcar ride to/from the arena. As are the Hyatt Place AND the AC by Marriott, which, though not 100% full service, still have more than most from a food offering standpoint. The Renaissance in Bricktown is definitely full service, thought the price point is likely similar to Omni and Colcord.

If limited service is acceptable my first option might be the Springhill Suites tucked behind the convention center, or the Holiday Inn Express in Bricktown. Both clean, corporate, well-run.

Another convenient and really nice full service that a lot of people might not think about for Thunder games is the Ambassador in Midtown, again a quick streetcar (or Uber, or Lime) ride away. I'd also recommend staying at The National once, before you start ditching true upscale in favor of lower prices.

Regarding the Sheraton question, unfortunately cutting through Cox/PSM is no longer an option.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

We've done it a few times for games. I can fully vouch for The National, Colcord, Omni, Skirvin, and new Renaissance.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Lots of options. Are you specifically wanting a full service hotel? Or, in order to bring down the price point, would you be OK with a very nice, clean corporate, limited service hotel?

If the former, another option is the Hilton Garden Inn Bricktown, which is a streetcar ride to/from the arena. As are the Hyatt Place AND the AC by Marriott, which, though not 100% full service, still have more than most from a food offering standpoint. The Renaissance in Bricktown is definitely full service, thought the price point is likely similar to Omni and Colcord.

If limited service is acceptable my first option might be the Springhill Suites tucked behind the convention center, or the Holiday Inn Express in Bricktown. Both clean, corporate, well-run.

Another convenient and really nice full service that a lot of people might not think about for Thunder games is the Ambassador in Midtown, again a quick streetcar (or Uber, or Lime) ride away. I'd also recommend staying at The National once, before you start ditching true upscale in favor of lower prices.

Regarding the Sheraton question, unfortunately cutting through Cox/PSM is no longer an option.
    Excellent info. I do want to stay at the National. We ate a Tellers this weekend, beautiful building, words and pictures don't do it justice. I'm probably going to save this one till next year.

Full service doesn't really matter on the cheaper ones. I had looked at the one by the Omni, map says it's a Fairfield Inn & Suites, is that what you meant? Closest Springhill is East Bricktown.

The Hilton Garden Inn was on my list, I've thought about doing a baseball game view, of course the Hampton looks like it has a better view, although I know they tend to not be as nice.

What about the Courtyard by Paycom? Right now I don't have many points on any of my rewards (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt), but I've thought about trying to stick with one brand for points to make this hobby cheaper. It seems like Marriott tends to be what has the most options of where I've been, but I know when I was traveling a lot for work I tended to stay at Hyatts (my work conferences all seemed to be at Grant Hyatt or Regency's). When I was doing that I had a lot of points as you can imagine, but nowadays I don't have that. So just trying to figure out the best route to go most of the time. I'm absolutely still going to do all the fancy hotels, probably just going to do only 1 of those a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    We've done it a few times for games. I can fully vouch for The National, Colcord, Omni, Skirvin, and new Renaissance.
    Forgot about the Skirvin. I stayed there a long time ago. My wife has been in it, so we put it lower on our list. Big thing we wanted were the views. We stayed second from top floor in the Omni facing South and it was an incredible view of Scissortail Park and South OKC. This time we stayed on the 11th floor of the Colcord with an absolutely stunning view of the Myriad Gardens. The views have been another big part of why we've stayed where we have.

Just got another offer from the thunder for free tickets for either the Houston game or the Kings game that are coming up. Seems like they're doing everything to get that place full. There's a really good crowd on Sunday but I can definitely tell it's a bunch of new people cuz even the MC had to tell everybody to stand up at the start of the game cuz that's what they do in Oklahoma. I wonder what percentage of it is people within the last couple years or even people that are catching on this year that have never been to a game before

15. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    …I had looked at the one by the Omni, map says it's a Fairfield Inn & Suites, is that what you meant? Closest Springhill is East Bricktown...
    Haha yes I meant Fairfield. I always get those two flags mixed up. I’m a Bonvoy member too, and I can’t ever keep them straight when I book. I will say that I THINK I’ve got a slightly better view of Springhill, which is probably in part why I inadvertently called it a Springhill. It’s a nice place.

Regarding the Courtyard, it was a VERY nice courtyard when it was built. Had a pretty popular Thunder pre-game in the bar for years, too. Not sure if that’s still going on. I’m guessing it’s in good shape if a little bit dated these days, but if I’m being honest I’ll bet it’s been well over four years since I’ve been inside.

Haha yes I meant Fairfield. I always get those two flags mixed up. I’m a Bonvoy member too, and I can’t ever keep them straight when I book. I will say that I THINK I’ve got a slightly better view of Springhill, which is probably in part why I inadvertently called it a Springhill. It’s a nice place.

Regarding the Courtyard, it was a VERY nice courtyard when it was built. Had a pretty popular Thunder pre-game in the bar for years, too. Not sure if that’s still going on. I’m guessing it’s in good shape if a little bit dated these days, but if I’m being honest I’ll bet it’s been well over four years since I’ve been inside.
    Years ago I went with a buddy to the bar at the Courtyard, and it was definitely a poppin' place. Seems like every time I get out of the Thunder game I can always see tons of kids in the pool as well. I do have concerns with that one maybe being a little too lively for me, but it's so convenient I may try it anyways.

I really wished my wife and I had bought a downtown condo years back. I could have rented it for awhile, and now that I've got some more free time and money I could have just used it on the weekends and Thunder games. I'm afraid I probably missed the boat unless the RE market downtown takes a dive. But now that I've got my house paid off and am debt free, part of me has wanted to invest in something like that for play/investment.

With all that being said, I wouldn't even be having these thoughts if it wasn't for the Thunder. Sure I'd go downtown, but not to the extent I do. I'm so happy we all voted Yes to keep OKC big league. It's clear now that lots of people thought that way, and with all this polarization in the world, I think that's pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Jaylen Williams (knee) out tonight vs Indiana Pacers.

Doug McDermott (Calf) out tonight vs Oklahoma City Thunder

It was Jalen that was out and he has a sprained ankle. Really needed him tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    It was Jalen that was out and he has a sprained ankle. Really needed him tonight.
    Definitely feels like they were looking ahead to the country boy, luka doncic, on Thursday night. And I can’t blame them for that.

Blog Entries

Indiana Pacers 121 @ Oklahoma City Thunder 111

Attendance: 17,118

Blog Entries

Thursday, March 14, 2024
    Dallas Mavericks @ Oklahoma City Thunder
    Paycom Center, OKC - 9:00 PM
    National TV - TNT
    WWLS-The Sports Animal Oklahoma City (98.1 FM), Tulsa (97.1 FM)

There was no way there were 17,188. I thought it was one of the lightest crowds this year to be honest. Well lower was full but whole rows were empty in loud city upper deck. Anyway Minnesota is hanging in there. Clippers now 4 back if you count the tie breaker. No word on Kawhi Leonard yet either. Might be down to a 3 team race for the top in the West. Denver remaining schedule is 25th. Pretty easy. Minnesota is 16th Thunder is 9th. So we have the hardest remaining schedule however Minnesota and Denver still have 3 games left. If someone goes 3-0 they most likely win the West. Not sure what the current odds are but I would of guess based on what teams have left to play Denver finishes 1st in the West.

Denver has 4 tough road games, Heat, Mavs, Timberwolves, Clippers.
    Thunder road games include Bucks, Pelicans, Knicks, Sixers, Celtics, Pacers. Mainly Eastern conference teams but teams fighting for position in the Eastern Conference.
    Minnesota road games include Denver twice, Suns, Lakers

So we have a much harder schedule and can't drop anymore of our home games.
    Minn 10 home 7 road
    Denver 8 home 9 road
    Thunder 8 home 9 road.

Nuggets are turning it up now in the late-season, just like last year. They also really want #1 because they own the Lakers - who look like they may need the play-in for 8th.

I am guessing we land @ 2 and we would get Kings/Mavs/Suns.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Anyone see at the end of the game SGA fouled to get the ball back to hit 30 points? Bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Anyone see at the end of the game SGA fouled to get the ball back to hit 30 points? Bit odd.
    Needs that 30 points to be consistent. You know, "his whole life is consistent." Pretty petty to be honest, but also kind of funny.

Thread Information