Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Models are hinting that the high will shift further east toward the end of next week allowing another frontal passage around 8/25-26. Unlike the last heat dome that was centered over Texas this will be more over Missouri/Illinois so a good portion of the mid-South and lower Midwest will be hot and dry. This may actually mean some relief for Texas as unsettled tropical weather could head into the state on backside of the high.
    Yep, noticed NWS Austin/San Antonio mentioning the chance for some tropical weather impacting Texas next week in their forecast discussion this morning. They are needing rain in the worst way down there with some large fires breaking out in their WUI recently.

Hot and dry for the next two weeks. This may actually be our longest dry spell of the summer for parts of central/northern OK. Unfortunately little relief for southern OK that didn't see the rainfall the rest of the state did last week

Hot and dry for the next two weeks. This may actually be our longest dry spell of the summer for parts of central/northern OK. Unfortunately little relief for southern OK that didn't see the rainfall the rest of the state did last week

Hopefully, this limits the severe weather. I am tired of that!

IF the high shifts further east that moisture plume could move closer to Oklahoma and also help many drought-stricken parts of Texas. It will be interesting to watch what, if any, impact Hurricane Fernanda has when it moves over California/Nevada next week. Also watching the Gulf as anything that forms will likely head into Texas.

^The storm to impact the Baja this weekend was actually just named TS Hilary. Could bring flooding rains from San Diego and up toward Vegas.

You’re right, Fernanda moved out to sea. Hilary could be an historic event for SoCal if it’s able to hold together. Either way it looks like some desert areas in need of rain will see a lot of it.

A couple models keep wanting to push the high further east later next week which would allow more tropical moisture to head up into OK. Right now it looks like NM/W TX will see that happen but could easily shift. The high breaks down and a couple fronts should be able to start making their way across the state after next weekend. Dry and hot until that happens.

This is not going to impact our weather at all, but since there's currently nothing going on here, do want to mention that the NHC has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for portions of California for the first time ever this morning. Shaping up to be a truly unprecedented event for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This is not going to impact our weather at all, but since there's currently nothing going on here, do want to mention that the NHC has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for portions of California for the first time ever this morning. Shaping up to be a truly unprecedented event for them.
    Went from drought to having to worry about flooding in the course of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I'm just curious for an explanation. Why wouldn't residual moisture from Hilary follow the high pressure winds and hit OK from the NW?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I'm just curious for an explanation. Why wouldn't residual moisture from Hilary follow the high pressure winds and hit OK from the NW?
    The high is too strong over the central U.S. All of the moisture from Hilary will move north over Nevada then up toward Wyoming and the Dakotas eventually to the Great Lakes.

There is still a chance the high moves south and east enough so that NW flow can return to Oklahoma but it won’t happen until next weekend. So two more weeks of hot and dry weather until the next pattern change. That is likely the end of the heat dome since these types of highs are not as common into September.

The nationwide view over the next week showing the impact of the high pressure dome and the remnants of Hilary enhancing rainfall across the West. This should keep wildfires down this fall which is great news for that region after a rough few years

Some climatology since there isn’t other weather to talk about for a couple weeks La Niña is exiting and El Niño is building which should influence weather across North America for the next 2 years, possibly longer. Looking at the chart below we are in a similar scenario as 2014. This included mild summers for several years. Rainfall was also abundant - 2015 and 2019 were some of the wettest years on record across Oklahoma. So while it’s not a guarantee, and it will still be hot, the next few summers should be “less hot”

Some climatology since there isn’t other weather to talk about for a couple weeks La Niña is exiting and El Niño is building which should influence weather across North America for the next 2 years, possibly longer. Looking at the chart below we are in a similar scenario as 2014. This included mild summers for several years. Rainfall was also abundant - 2015 and 2019 were some of the wettest years on record across Oklahoma. So while it’s not a guarantee, and it will still be hot, the next few summers should be “less hot”

These temps are horrific. And no end in sight!

I wonder if OU/OSU will reschedule to night games.

14. Default Re: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    These temps are horrific. And no end in sight!

I wonder if OU/OSU will reschedule to night games.
    Nope. The networks set times. The schools have virtually no input. And the networks love 11am or 2pm starts for our teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Nope. The networks set times. The schools have virtually no input. And the networks love 11am or 2pm starts for our teams.
    That's too bad.

A heat related tragedy is due to happen in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    That's too bad.

A heat related tragedy is due to happen in these conditions.
    Temperatures are predicted to go down considerably by the weekend of the first games. I have been to many games in Norman with high temperatures. I can assure you they will have medical people at the ready to deal with problems.

Labor Day weekend games in Norman/Stillwater are typically hot and sticky. In fact most of the September games are similar but you start seeing more cold fronts like we saw last week that knock down temps/humidity and bring more rainfall especially toward late-September. September and October are the 3rd and 4th wettest months of the year after May/June.

Labor Day weekend games in Norman/Stillwater are typically hot and sticky. In fact most of the September games are similar but you start seeing more cold fronts like we saw last week that knock down temps/humidity and bring more rainfall especially toward late-September. September and October are the 3rd and 4th wettest months of the year after May/June.
    Fortunately, the first 3 OSU games won't be played during the afternoon.

I just went to Wyoming for the weekend and the weather was absolutely glorious. Really not looking forward to coming back to this heat dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I just went to Wyoming for the weekend and the weather was absolutely glorious. Really not looking forward to coming back to this heat dome.
    I hosted my high school class reunion last night at the Park House event center in the Myriad Gardens. It's an absolutely gorgeous setting and we had about 175 in attendance.

You can actually take drinks into the park as long as there is no glass, so my thought was that people would wander around at some point but the heat was absurd. So much so that not many even bothered with the beautiful patio. It was cool though because the Crystal Bridge was lit up in orange in our honor (I went to Putnam City).

We had to clear out of there by 11 PM so I arranged with Flint to host an after-party on their beautiful patio, even though the inside is completely torn up for a remodel. We had a big crew over there until closing at 1:30 AM and it was still plenty hot but manageable.

As you can imagine, when I organize these things every 5 years I try to choose a place that shows off OKC, not only because we have lots of people coming from out of town, but also for the residents to take in all the great changes. It's so fun to see downtown through their eyes. A bunch of people stayed at The National, the Colcord, the Omni and other downtown hotels; many were locals opting for a staycation.

Despite the record heat we still had a fabulous time. And even though I was consumed all night I made it a point to stop and take a look around and really appreciate our City.

Our big 50-year celebration is now only 5 years away and I'm trying to think through where we might do it. If we are really lucky, maybe the Dream Hotel tower will be open by then. For our 35-year reunion the timing was such that we were one of the first events on the 50th floor of Devon Tower, and that would be one for us to top!

Pete, I always forget we’re of the same alma mater.

Forecast models are still showing the possibility of a storm complex heading south from KS into OK on Sunday with temps back into the 80’s. Then more unsettled weather the following week and especially into Labor Day weekend. So hang in there relief is coming!

CMC model showing possible MCS moving south into OK on Sunday 8/27

This day in history on Aug. 22, 2022, the high only got to 81 in my backyard. But today, the high is going to be around 102! My data records go back to 2012 with wunderground and there hasn't been a hotter Aug. 21 since then.

Station summary with history: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...22-08-21/daily

Austin TX hit 45 consecutive days of breaking 100F today. The previous record was in 2011 with 27 days. The record making may be stopped tomorrow (Tuesday) due to cloud cover from nearby tropical system that will be moving through extreme S TX.

Thread Information