Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

This map is pretty amazing considering what we experienced last summer, especially the areas in western OK and Panhandle. The Red River valley has been the only area that has mostly missed out and the situation further south into Texas is increasingly dire with the heat dome strengthening this week

Severe storms possible on the north side of the OKC metro and toward Tulsa later tonight. Possibly two rounds with another line possible early morning Monday. Then dry weather for the next week

HRRR at 11 pm

Man, the Southside of the metro can't buy any rain.

MD is out for W OK into the TX PH. Should see storms firing in the next couple hours. Will have to monitor radar trends, but heaviest stuff looks to stay N of I-40.

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    One thing to hate about OKC, the late summer heat dome.
    At least they sometimes take a break this summer. Mon. and Tues. highs will only be in the low to mid 80s.

The humidity seems worse this summer, likely due to the heavy rains in July. Dewpoints approaching 80 degrees is not normal in August

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Man, the Southside of the metro can't buy any rain.
    At least Stillwater isn't getting bypassed with heavy rain as of 11pm with a severe thunderstorm warning to go with it, but nothing serious coming in, so far. Will likely get better than a half inch of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    At least Stillwater isn't getting bypassed with heavy rain as of 11pm with a severe thunderstorm warning to go with it, but nothing serious coming in, so far. Will likely get better than a half inch of rain.
    Mother Nature basically wants SE OKC to fry. It's crazy how every other area of the metro gets rain but us near Draper.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The humidity seems worse this summer, likely due to the heavy rains in July. Dewpoints approaching 80 degrees is not normal in August
    Really. I know. Try going for a walk in this air. You'll end up sweating profusely.

Mother Nature basically wants SE OKC to fry. It's crazy how every other area of the metro gets rain but us near Draper.
    There is still a lot of rain coming in from western Oklahoma. You may not get missed, yet. Stillwater is currently getting a 2nd round of heavy rain and it's even heavier than the first one. Still with no severe weather, like high wind or hail. Hopefully, it stays that way. Rain amount in Stillwater has already gone over 1.25" inch and counting. Two plus inches may finally be it.

Wow, a third round of heavy rain came into Stillwater, even heavier than the first two. At one brief point it was coming in at a bit over 9" per hour. It quickly got the rain total over 2" at 2.25" currently. More rain coming. This is surely the heaviest rain event of this year for Stillwater. It has now resulted in a flash flood warning as follows:

The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a
    * Flash Flood Warning for...
    Central Payne County in central Oklahoma...
    * Until 300 AM CDT.
    * At 1147 PM CDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
    heavy rain across the warned area. Between 1 and 2 inches of rain
    have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are
    possible in the warned area. Flash flooding is ongoing or expected
    to begin shortly.
    HAZARD...Flash flooding caused by thunderstorms.
    SOURCE...Radar.
    IMPACT...Flash flooding of small creeks and streams, urban
    areas, highways, streets and underpasses as well as
    other poor drainage and low-lying areas.
    * Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
    Stillwater, Yale, Glencoe, Lake Carl Blackwell, Quay and Ingalls.
    FLASH FLOOD...RADAR INDICATED

^ Payne County has some of the highest rainfall totals over the past 60 days…13-14”. Which is unbelievable for July/August

That was not a normal storm last night in Edmond. There was an alien spacecraft inside of that storm. The way the sky lit up. And there was a very weird sound. Not natural at all.

It's funny for me to read these, pretty sure Mother Nature doesn't really care much about human-created property boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It's funny for me to read these, pretty sure Mother Nature doesn't really care much about human-created property boundaries.
    You took my sarcastic comment literally. Guess I should have made it more thinly-veiled.

I know, but there has been a line basically right through my zip code where rains have basically been zero on the south side, and fairly heavy on the north side.

You took my sarcastic comment literally. Guess I should have made it more thinly-veiled.

I know, but there has been a line basically right through my zip code where rains have basically been zero on the south side, and fairly heavy on the north side.
    Nah, it's not just your comment, it's others (both here and elsewhere) that do it too, and some just have to be not sarcastic and for real...

At least you're not south-central OK. Some of the Texas counties south of the Red River saw rain last week but DFW and points south are still bone dry.

Crazy how Lawton picked up a few inches but Walters 30 miles south saw nothing.. Almost as strange as Beaver having nearly 4" more rain over the summer than Broken Bow!

Things are really going to dry out over the next two weeks though, and the heat will be back in full force this next weekend.

Still thinking that OKC will hit 105F at some point during this next heat wave. Should be relatively low humidity, at least.

Long-term, I am interested to see if the potential for a tropical system to landfall in the vicinity of Baja California in approximately 7-10 days will finally be what nudges the persistent heat dome out of the Southern Plains.

^ Payne County has some of the highest rainfall totals over the past 60 days…13-14”. Which is unbelievable for July/August
    Some Stillwater people had at most a bit over 3". Meso got 2.82". Rain that much is kind of rare here. Some residents got acquainted or reacquainted with places where the flash street flooding is the worst, such as on Lakeview from Perkins Rd. to the railroad tracks. Fortunately, unlike at Hennessy, the wind didn't gust very high, only around 25 mph. No power outage.

20. Default Re: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

At least you're not south-central OK.
    We went from green to brown in a matter of days.... I have cracks in my clay that will soon rival the Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One of my friends moved to Austin 3-4 years ago after about a decade in SoCal.

I traded messages with her yesterday and she said their neighborhood has a pool but it's too hot to even go over there. She seemed legitimately depressed. The newness of 'we were able to buy a house!' has long worn off.

I lived in Dallas one summer and it did seem significantly worse than OKC, and that's saying something.
    I was in Dallas over the weekend and it was like hell on earth. Awful. Even in the shade it felt like you were baking in an oven, and much of the vegetation was burned to a crisp, even in the fancy nabes like Highland Park.

Texas may become uninhabitable with climate change. DFW is already strained for water resources and the ATX-SAT megalopolis is going to further strain it.

^

A friend of mine was in Austin this weekend.

It was 109. And that's not dry desert heat.

Most of Texas does feel considerably more uncomfortable in the summer than Oklahoma, and that's saying something.

23. Default Re: August 2023 - General Weather Discussion

So next 10 days is heat dome again. Hopefully something comes and pushes it away again. I have been enjoying the last week when the rain came in.

I will offer up two pieces of optimism: (1) As we continue to move further away from our climatological temperature peak of late July, in theory it should become slightly easier day-over-day to dislodge the heat dome. (2) As the days continue to grow shorter, the heat tends to become slightly more bearable at night for those of us who still like to get out and about during the summertime months.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I will offer up two pieces of optimism: (1) As we continue to move further away from our climatological temperature peak of late July, in theory it should become slightly easier day-over-day to dislodge the heat dome. (2) As the days continue to grow shorter, the heat tends to become slightly more bearable at night for those of us who still like to get out and about during the summertime months.
    Models are hinting that the high will shift further east toward the end of next week allowing another frontal passage around 8/25-26. Unlike the last heat dome that was centered over Texas this will be more over Missouri/Illinois so a good portion of the mid-South and lower Midwest will be hot and dry. This may actually mean some relief for Texas as unsettled tropical weather could head into the state on backside of the high.

Thread Information