Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Default Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

My dad used to take me there when I was a kid. I'm thinking it was where the Volkswagen dealership is now.

It had a two foot high metal pole perimeter (painted orange) and the course was concrete lined (also painted orange).

There was an old Long John Silvers right next door, I think.

I used to climb over the orange railing and go play on the railroad tracks behind the putt-putt course.

I think there were 2 or 3 sets of track over there (it was an industrial spur line for the Union Pacific).

If any historical photos or photos at all of this location/business exist, please provide them. Thanks!

Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

This is from 1976:

They were all pretty much the same layout:

4. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

OMG yes!!!! Mom & dad and my oldest sister and BIL went to Casa Bonita then to Putt-Putt many, many Saturday nights. I loved it!!!

i had forgotten about these... there was one around sw 70th and western that looked almost exactly like that, right down to the light fixtures.

ha... the internet delivers! i remember these ads on tv:

Sure enough. Right there where the spur line came up from the south.

Thanks for the images above, Pete!

8. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Remember it? I'm pretty sure I still have some trophies stashed somewhere from tournaments I played in there.

Here's a little FYI that most people didn't know about Putt Putt courses:

If you ever noticed a cigarette burn in the carpet, a ding in a rail, or most any other irregular mark on a hole. It was put there by one of the professional Putt-Putt players to know where you needed to hit the ball to make a hole in one.... The other info that was kept secret was where you needed to play the ball from on the tee mat and whether you needed to push/pull or hit the putt neutral.

Once you figured out the last 2 pieces of the info. You had a pretty good chance of aceing the hole every time.

Putt Putt Southside all the time in my youth. Norman Putt Putt to play volleyball in my teens. Loved those places.

10. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Interesting. Do you know roughly when the course on 39th went out of business? I got excited when I saw this thread, because I too remember a putt-putt course on NW 39th, but I was almost certain the one I'm thinking of was closer to Bethany. Maybe it was a different one, or maybe my memory is getting foggy (my memory is almost certainly getting foggy). The memory I have is of a course that was possibly even PAST Bethany, and this was in the late 1980s.

I sure do miss that Roy Rogers just east of Putt Putt. I ate there all the time. Their roast beef was so much better than Arby's. And their Double R Bar burger with ham on it. I also worked at that Sirloin Stockade for a few months as a dish washer in High School. When I wasn't washing dishes I would wrap potatoes in foil for baking. What you have labeled Fred Gangs I remember being Billie Lee Pies. Pretty sure Sirloin Stockade got their pies from there that they served. Thinking Sirloin Stockade owned BLPs too. We had a prep lady named Alfia that made the salads and cut the pie slices and if she messed up a slice of pie cutting it she would bring it to the dish room and give it to me. There was also a liquor store next to that Monterey House that sometimes when we got off work, Alfia would go there and buy me and my friend that was a cook at SS a 1/2 pint of Cherry Vodka to split. I spent many a summer night on that strip of 39th between Ann Arbor and Meridian. 1971-1973.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Interesting. Do you know roughly when the course on 39th went out of business? I got excited when I saw this thread, because I too remember a putt-putt course on NW 39th, but I was almost certain the one I'm thinking of was closer to Bethany. Maybe it was a different one, or maybe my memory is getting foggy (my memory is almost certainly getting foggy). The memory I have is of a course that was possibly even PAST Bethany, and this was in the late 1980s.
    I used to play at the Putt Putt on 39th as a kid, and it was usually full in the early 80s but the place started dying off around 87 or 88. I know the last time I went was in junior high and my friends and I were literally the only ones there on a weekend, and they had all but given up on maintenance. That was either 89 or 90, so I'm guessing it was shut down sometime soon thereafter.

13. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Closing in the early 90s sounds about right. Then I remember it sitting abandoned for quite a while before anything happened on that lot.

14. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Can anyone remember there being another one closer to Bethany/SNU, or have the sands of time clouded my memory and I’m actually remembering this one and have my locations mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Can anyone remember there being another one closer to Bethany/SNU, or have the sands of time clouded my memory and I’m actually remembering this one and have my locations mixed up?
    There wasn't one in that area; you are thinking of the one on 39th which was only a couple of miles from Bethany.

16. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

I suppose so, but sure did think I was remembering one a few miles west of there.

There are two big mini-golf chains looking for OKC locations right now:

https://www.puttery.com/

https://popstroke.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are two big mini-golf chains looking for OKC locations right now:

https://www.puttery.com/

https://popstroke.com/
    popstroke is awesome and is in major expansion mode ...

that would be a great get for the Half ...

Popstroke would be awesome. It is Tiger’s company and partnered with Taylor Made Golf. Would say it may be a reach, but they are opening up one in Tuscaloosa, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    popstroke is awesome and is in major expansion mode ...

that would be a great get for the Half ...
    That's a good call. Would be perfect at the Half.

*** Does anyone remember the "mini" golf course in Edmond at Boulevard and Memorial? I never played it but from what I remember and saw as I drove past it; it looked like a real golf course but mini sized. I can't remember how many holes there were but I seem to remember you played with a driver,a wedge and a putter. Then a few years later a Mercy medical clinic and other things were built there. What year this was for the golf course...early '90's???

22. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

^^^^^^^^^
    That was Lions Fun Park. Opened early-mid nineties. Had a passable mini golf, but also an arcade, a driving range and a REALLY nice little 9-hole par 3 course. Redeveloped maybe 15 years ago..?

Edit: closed and seized for tax liability in 2003. Redeveloped a few years after.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
    *** Does anyone remember the "mini" golf course in Edmond at Boulevard and Memorial? I never played it but from what I remember and saw as I drove past it; it looked like a real golf course but mini sized. I can't remember how many holes there were but I seem to remember you played with a driver,a wedge and a putter. Then a few years later a Mercy medical clinic and other things were built there. What year this was for the golf course...early '90's???
    This is from 1995; Boulevard is on the right side of the image:

24. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

^^^^^^^^^^
    I seem to remember there were also some softball-related components. I think the oddly-shaped area near the middle of that shot may have been a batting cage.

There was also a 9 hole par 3 golf course and batting cages on the east side of Western across from Downtown Airport.

Thread Information