Widgets Magazine

Thread: Awaji Izakaya

Default Awaji Izakaya

New Japanese concept at the former Yo! Pablo @ 122nd and Rockwell. https://www.facebook.com/awaji.izakaya.okc

2. Default Re: Awaji Izakaya

I ate there Saturday during their soft opening.

The space is absolutely beautiful. They transformed the old Yo! Pablo location and really did a great job of giving it an authentic Japanese feel.

We sat at the bar and ordered an assortment of food items, along with a couple of $5 large cans of Sapporo, which is a great deal. We started with edamame and an order of Chicken Karaage. Both were really good. The edamame came in a garlic butter sauce and it definitely is not just plain old edamame. The chicken was perfectly cooked, seasoned well, and was very tender and tasty.

We then ordered a California Roll and a Spicy Tuna Roll. Both were tasty, but the rice in the roll was overcooked and a little mushy. I'm sure that was an oversight and it was a soft opening, so I won't hold that against them.

For entrees, we had an order of Pork Katsu and an order of Chicken Katsu. Both were cooked to perfection and came with a side of Asian coleslaw that I would have devoured if I wasn't already stuffed.

Chef Richard Ly was formerly the Executive Chef at Jimmy B's and he definitely knows what he's doing. Awaji is in a high traffic location and should do well here. The brick-and-mortar location for Taco Empire OKC is going in right around the corner too, so I will be out that way eating again very soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awaji 3.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	18151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awaji.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	18152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awaji 2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	18153

Blog Entries

Default Re: Awaji Izakaya

^Good info - thanks for posting. Will have to try this out soon.

I saw the Taco Empire sign (which has initially was supposed to be a wing concept I think). Is Taco Empire a good truck?

4. Default Re: Awaji Izakaya

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    ^Good info - thanks for posting. Will have to try this out soon.

I saw the Taco Empire sign (which has initially was supposed to be a wing concept I think). Is Taco Empire a good truck?
    Yeah, it's pretty good. I stopped one day when they were parked at May and Britton and had a taco plate. It was tasty!

Blog Entries

OK! That is the one at May/Britton. Have seen it many times and looks busy. Glad they are coming in! Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty good. I stopped one day when they were parked at May and Britton and had a taco plate. It was tasty!
    They're parked there most days, and I've had it several times. Pretty solid food truck for the north side, excited to see them expand their menu with a brick and mortar.

May want to check it out, pretty cool for this area of town! https://www.instagram.com/awaji_izakaya_okc/

Got takeout from here last night. As soon as I walked in, I regretted not dining in solely for the decor and atmosphere. It was amazing. Definitely didn’t feel like you were in OKC.

The food was FANTASTIC. Loved the sushi, the curry was to die for, and my picky wife was more than satisfied. They are going to expand the menu a bit more. Definitely a place being added to our rotation and a great get for the area and city in general!

they have pretty good happy hour specials. good prices on drinks and a few of the appetizers at good prices as well

Blog Entries

+1 on this place. Enjoyed it a lot when we went about a week ago.

On their FB page, they said they'd stay open until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays starting this week. Another late night option in OKC.

We've been three times now - it's a hidden gem!

We went about a month ago and it was good. But I hadn't thought about it since until the recent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    On their FB page, they said they'd stay open until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays starting this week. Another late night option in OKC.
    That is music to my ears. My main issue with them was not being open late enough to be able to swing by when I want to. The service has been pretty meh the 4-5 times I have gone so far. The food has been consistently great. I would really like to see them hit that point of consistent business that they can attract or develop stronger service staff. I have enjoyed everything I have eaten; they just seem to churn bartenders since they opened.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The service has been pretty meh the 4-5 times I have gone so far. The food has been consistently great. I would really like to see them hit that point of consistent business that they can attract or develop stronger service staff. I have enjoyed everything I have eaten; they just seem to churn bartenders since they opened.
    this has been my experience as well... amazing food, great atmosphere, the service has been acceptable, but not great

I've come three times so far, quite enjoyed it, noticed a new bartender each time as well. Their fish is pretty fresh, service was ok, but I wouldn't expect decent service at an izakaya, it's more like a fun hole in the wall to me.

17. Default Re: Awaji Izakaya

Was told to try this place out for a while and finally made it. I thought it was pretty darn good, but I am not the biggest Sushi person. The service is a little spotty. Starts off fine, but when they get busy it starts to suffer. I would recommend it for Sushi lovers though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8105.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	18704 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8106.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	18705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8109.jpg 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	18706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8112.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	18707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8113.jpg 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	18708

Blog Entries

^Nice pictures and I agree the food is good (and also agree the service is a little iffy). We’ve been twice and enjoyed it both times.

Thread Information