Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concerts in Oklahoma City

1. Post Concerts in Oklahoma City

OK guys and gals. Time we have a thread specific for concerts in Oklahoma City, downtown, and the metropolitan area.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Cool Slushii in Oklahoma City Aug 4

To start things off, I was perusing Youtube music when I learned that Slushii is coming to Oklahoma City on Aug 4, Show: 7:00PM.

Disco Donnie Presents Slushii at OKC Farmers Market
    Oklahoma City, OK

Slushii - OKLAHOMA CITY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slushii OKC.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	18150
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Great idea on a music thread!
    I love live music and am happy the OKC offerings have gotten so much better over the years. I still tend to travel for many shows but venues like Critereon, Jones assembly and tower have really picked up some acts I would normally go to Dallas for. Sofi TuKker was not a show I would have been able to see in OKC in years past.
    OKC often benefits from the proximity to Austin during ACL and acts are able to book between weekends here. such is the Case this year for ODESZA . we saw this tour in the rain in Dallas last year and will see them again at ACL.
    that show participated in Concert week and you could get 25.00 all in tickets for the OKC show which is a great deal. If you have not seen them i highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Great idea on a music thread!
    I love live music and am happy the OKC offerings have gotten so much better over the years. I still tend to travel for many shows but venues like Critereon, Jones assembly and tower have really picked up some acts I would normally go to Dallas for. Sofie Tucker was not a show I would have been able to see in OKC in years past.
    OKC often benefits from the proximity to Austin during ACL and acts are able to book between weekends here. such is the Case this year for ODESZA . we saw this tour in the rain in Dallas last year and will see them again at ACL.
    that show participated in Concert week and you could get 25.00 all in tickets for the OKC show which is a great deal. If you have not seen them i highly recommend.
    ODESZA was one of the headliners of the Backwoods Music Festival in 2015, when it was still held at a ranch near Stroud before moving out of state. I didn't get to go but I completely agree, they are fantastic!

One thing I'd really love to see is some trance acts make their way through the Sooner State, especially since the sound is starting to experience a revival. The main EDM promoters here seem to be mostly focused on the dubstep/trap sound, which don't get me wrong that's still fun, but my first love in the EDM world was trance and it's still my favorite! Would love to see a show here instead of having to go down to Dallas.

I’m really looking forward to Manchester Orchestra and Jimmy Eat World at the Criterion next month!

Lots of good stuff coming up. Here is some of what I am looking forward to between now and Labor Day, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Bolded bands are Oklahoma-based.

Friday 07/21/23 - Baileyboy, Kat Lock, Bedtime - Wheeler District
    Saturday 07/22/23 - Kalyn Fay, Ken Pomeroy - Factory Obscura
    Sunday 07/23/23 - Jaimee Harris - Lions Park (Norman)
    Wednesday 07/26/23 - Prize Horse, Trembler, Mad Honey, Charlotte Bumgarner - The Sanctuary
    Friday 07/28/23 - Creekbed Carter, Kierston White - Factory Obscura
    Friday 07/28/23 - Keathley & the Burning Bras, Silo Trees, Winston Churchbus - 51st Street Speakeasy
    Saturday 07/29/23 - Sundiver CA, Swim Fan, Tokyo Swish - Resonant Head
    Sunday 07/30/23 - Downward, Soft Blue Shimmer, Some Fear, Charlotte Bumgarner - The Sanctuary
    Friday 08/04/23 - Bee & the Hive, Baileyboy - Scissortail Park
    Saturday 08/05/23 - Beau Jennings & the Tigers - Red Brick Nights (Guthrie)
    Sunday 08/06/23 - Finite Galaxy - Lions Park (Norman)
    Friday 08/11/23 - Travis Linville - Blue Door
    Friday 08/18/23 - Coat, Donovan Funk, Bee & the Hive - Wheeler District
    Tuesday 08/29/23 - Bully - Beer City Music Hall
    Friday 09/01/23 - Beau Jennings & the Tigers, Kyle Reid & the Low Swinging Chariots - Legacy Park (Norman)

^^^Wow. Thanks for that!

I just saw that Roosevelt is coming to Beer City Music Hall on Monday, October 23rd. If you're unfamiliar, he's an electronic artist from Germany that has a love affair with classic drum machines and synths. He's got a really catchy synth-pop retro-yet-fresh sound, should be a *fantastic* show!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    ^^^Wow. Thanks for that!
    No problem, I think there's a lot of fantastic local shows in OKC that tend to get overlooked (not ragging on the OKC music scene for this, it happens in every city). So I'll try to remember to post every few weeks in this thread with what's coming up in that regard. Added benefit of going to these shows is that the tickets tend to be pretty inexpensive, usually anywhere from $5-$20. You do have to sift through a lot of mediocre bands (or bands that just haven't found their footing yet), but there's at least a few dozen local bands that I think are doing very exciting things at the moment. I went ahead and edited my post above to bold all of the bands that are Oklahoma-based.

Moving On from Roosevelt is an amazing song!

11. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Moving On from Roosevelt is an amazing song!
    So is his song "Strangers." Definitely some outstanding synth-pop!

https://youtu.be/NOdkHf9uJjk

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    So is his song "Strangers." Definitely some outstanding synth-pop!

https://youtu.be/NOdkHf9uJjk
    "Strangers" is such a jam, and is among my favorite songs of his. The entire Polydans album is just banger after banger honestly. "See You Again" is another noteworthy track off that album. Also, an older single of his, "Montreal", has a *really* fun late-70's vibe and is another favorite of mine. Just good stuff all around.

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives at the Douglass 7-21-23.

14. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

13 posts before someone I've heard of. I'm feeling old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    13 posts before someone I've heard of. I'm feeling old now.
    Ha, I know, kinda the same boat. I've listened to music for over half a century and just don't have time to search out new local bands to start to listen to, I've got enough stuff to listen to for another half century if I listen to music 8 hours a day, 7 days a week... Not saying my tastes are stagnant, I'm discovering new bands all the time, but just don't really need to check out "baby bands", as someone I know called them, even though they might end up being really great, just don't have much desire to get in on the ground floor when bands are finding their feet/way forward.

16. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

^^^^^^^
    Man, some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were emerging artists. Getting to see bands like the Black Keys, Avett Brothers, Arcade Fire, Low, Band of Horses, Modest Mouse and others in sometimes crummy venues with 50-100 other actual live music fans (vs a couple thousand see-and-be-seen wannabe Instagram influencers) are among my happiest concert memories.

And by the time the same bands start selling out arenas they’re often far less interesting than they were when they were new and maybe even a bit raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Man, some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were emerging artists. Getting to see bands like the Black Keys, Avett Brothers, Arcade Fire, Low, Band of Horses, Modest Mouse and others in sometimes crummy venues with 50-100 other actual live music fans (vs a couple thousand see-and-be-seen wannabe Instagram influencers) are among my happiest concert memories.

And by the time the same bands start selling out arenas they’re often far less interesting than they were when they were new and maybe even a bit raw.
    Trust me, I know, been there many years ago (Flaming Lips with the Geraldine Fibbers in what is now Rococo, Chris Whitley many times, Skinny Puppy, Swans, Boris, Cannons, ...), and still occasionally nowadays. As far as arenas, hardly any of the bands I see are in arenas (last one was Roxy Music in Dallas, and next one is Peter Gabriel in Dallas), so there's not much worry about the ones I see being "sold-out" and ground up by the machinery to make them more palatable to the masses.

I still discover new bands, but if I had to chase down songs from each of the bands in post #6 to see what they sound like (or listen to songs from each band that MOJO (the only music mag I read) thinks are good), I'd have no time to listen to the bands I know and like. And having listened to all genres extensively over that half-century, I just don't find that many new bands that are actually "new" - I've heard *soooooo* much music that people say is new, fresh, revolutionary, great, unique, etc. that really isn't, they just have no sense of music history and the other songs that are "inspiring" it. And don't even get me started on the ubiquitous songs that recycle hip-hop/dance riffs/beats from decades ago as their main hook.

18. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

^^^^^^^
    I agree. When the Boar's Head in French Market Mall was in its hey day I was recently divorced and spent most every Fri and Sat night there seeing local bands. I loved it. But at this point of life 9pm is late for us. Too early a bed time to see live music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    I agree. When the Boar's Head in French Market Mall was in its hey day I was recently divorced and spent most every Fri and Sat night there seeing local bands. I loved it. But at this point of life 9pm is late for us. Too early a bed time to see live music.
    We still stay up late (even on weeknights ) to see live music, probably be doing that until we can't walk anymore, lol - a few weeks ago, we saw Sofi Tukker Mon at Jones and Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe at Criterion the next night (had tix to Robyn Hitchcock the week before, but he cancelled, so that would've been 3 shows in one week). Wife was glad Elvis was seated, though...

I love music but not the crowds. I am very selective when I go, even missing out because I don’t want to deal with the hassle. For every band I have seen there are 5 I didn’t go to. In the last 6 years I would say I saw Two Door Cinema Club at Cains, St Lucia at Jones, Smashing Pumpkins at the Paycom, Depeche Mode at the BOK, and Walk the Moon, Youngblood Hawke at the Zoo Amp. Spotify does a nice job of clueing me in to new music, so I don’t have to do much searching and my tastes run from 60’s West Coast Jazz through Trance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I love music but not the crowds. I am very selective when I go, even missing out because I don’t want to deal with the hassle. For every band I have seen there are 5 I didn’t go to. In the last 6 years I would say I saw Two Door Cinema Club at Cains, St Lucia at Jones, Smashing Pumpkins at the Paycom, Depeche Mode at the BOK, and Walk the Moon, Youngblood Hawke at the Zoo Amp. Spotify does a nice job of clueing me in to new music, so I don’t have to do much searching and my tastes run from 60’s West Coast Jazz through Trance.
    Man, sorry to hear that you're missing out, but it happens - for me, it's because of traffic and hassle getting there, mainly (I generally don't go outside of the OKC metro area for shows, and when we lived in a Chicago suburb, we didn't go to as many shows because it would take 3 times as long as the concert was to get there and back). I know people at the opposite end of the spectrum as you, they go to a concert weekly, on average, but that's just too much for me - I've been to about 40 concerts in the past 6 years.

I remember living in Tulsa and going with some friends to Club Ikon in 1995 to see a band one of them heard about on the radio. I think it cost $10 to get in. This was back when nu-metal (rap rock) had just started to take off with Korn, Faith No More and early Sugar Ray were out, but not incredibly popular. The band we ended up seeing was Deftones and it was unlike anything I had ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Man, sorry to hear that you're missing out, but it happens - for me, it's because of traffic and hassle getting there, mainly (I generally don't go outside of the OKC metro area for shows, and when we lived in a Chicago suburb, we didn't go to as many shows because it would take 3 times as long as the concert was to get there and back). I know people at the opposite end of the spectrum as you, they go to a concert weekly, on average, but that's just too much for me - I've been to about 40 concerts in the past 6 years.
    Maybe it stems from going to the Blockbuster Music fest in 97 with 400,000 other people. I am not a big crowds guy even though I drove to Chicago in 2016 to be in the street crowd to witness the Cubs make it to the World Series (once in a lifetime). The one concert I regret missing was a Morissey show years ago that he played here during a snow storm that had less than 100 people. Def messed that up.

24. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We still stay up late (even on weeknights ) to see live music, probably be doing that until we can't walk anymore, lol - a few weeks ago, we saw Sofi Tukker Mon at Jones and Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe at Criterion the next night (had tix to Robyn Hitchcock the week before, but he cancelled, so that would've been 3 shows in one week). Wife was glad Elvis was seated, though...
    We both get to work at 6am so anything after 8 is late.

25. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^

I followed an emerging band in the mid 70s that started out in Kansas and north Oklahoma. Went to see them in every little dive bar I could make it to. Then a few years later they made it big. Probably pretty obvious who I'm talking about. By the state first mentioned.

Thread Information