Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The east side of Stillwater benefitted a bit from sprinkles from a weak thundershower that developed overhead. It will be interesting to see how far the rain now in western panhandle can penetrate into Oklahoma later on.
    At least Stillwater isn't in the donut hole like Tulsa. Crazy how all the rains have been around us, central Tulsa hasn't even had a sprinkle in over a week. No rain last night either when areas just to the east picked up 1"+

Another MCS coming down from NE/KS later this evening. Best shot for severe wind threat is across N and NE OK.

Only 3/4" here last night. Judging by the sound I was expecting to find more in the rain gauge this morning. I really don't need any more rain. It would suit me just fine to go 2-3 weeks with zero rain to dry things out a little and slow down the mowing.

^Wishing for dry weather in Oklahoma during July should be a felony.

Storms associated with tonight's MCS are already ongoing across S NE. These will continue to move to the SE. Additional development is forecast to occur back to the west toward the panhandle area later this afternoon.

5. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Traditionally our wettest months are over right? We stay pretty dry for the second half of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Traditionally our wettest months are over right? We stay pretty dry for the second half of the year?
    April-June are the wettest months followed by September/October - the fall rainy season. The driest months are typically November-February followed by July-August.

7. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Thanks! I guess this extra rain in July will make that mid year peak really peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    ^Wishing for dry weather in Oklahoma during July should be a felony.

9" in the last 6 days on top of all the rain the previous 2 months at my location I think is enough for a while. You reach a point where it is no longer beneficial and just contributes to problems. All this water in the ground has to be contributing to the record high heat indexes too. Highest heat index ever recorded in the state yesterday and the actual temperature wasn't that high compared to the HI. And probably more coming tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    At least Stillwater isn't in the donut hole like Tulsa. Crazy how all the rains have been around us, central Tulsa hasn't even had a sprinkle in over a week. No rain last night either when areas just to the east picked up 1"+
    It's nice to see some of the Ozark Counties -- Delaware, Cherokee, Adair -- get some love the last couple of days. It was getting pretty dry.

Two MDs out for all of N OK.

1. To the NE, current MCS originally from Nebraska will be entering the state in about an hour. SVR watch likely coming for I-35 corridor and all areas NE.

2. Next MD is for PH area into NW OK, where cumulus field has been gathering ahead of outflow boundary coming out of the MCS across KS. This boundary will spark additional storms across this area, which will then move SE. This development is more iffy, and may not get going until later this evening when storms come out of NM and the TX PH.

A scenario does exist where storms go E and W of C OK. However, radar trends as of about 4:45pm show healthy back-building development on the W end of the MCS. Which would indicate C OK impacts later this evening.

Giant severe watch is out for literally the northern half of the state. Watch carries 80% probability of severe damaging winds.

I will say, there is some organized supercell structures within the cluster currently, which would lend to pockets of hail.

It looks like a bust for most everybody, except for Tulsa and most of northeast Oklahoma. What is going on in northwest Oklahoma looks to be weakening for the most part but bears watching for further development.

The clusters in NW OK are getting better organized right now ~8:15pm. These will likely make a run at C OK.

Looks like very little of this storm survived once it got to the metro

Yes. Storms completely falling apart. Winds gusting out bringing some amazingly cool air.

as of last Tuesday .. (and we have had more rain since then) only 23.63% of the state is in a drought ... compared to 62.75% a year ago ..

43.04% of the state is not dry in any way ... compared to 0.00% a year ago ..

and both of these numbers should be even better in next weeks report

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?OK

Another hot and humid week across OK. Very low rain chances and lots of sun. Better rain chances and temps closer to 90 next weekend

Severe Watch is out across NW OK for incoming cluster of supercells. Not sure how long these storms will survive, it is possible they form into a small MCS and keep riding outflow boundaries.

19. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

I'm suprised at the lower rainfall in Cimarron county because it seems that area has been hit by storms most every day for the last month.

Severe thunderstorm watch out for north central and northeastern Oklahoma Monday until 5pm. So far, it looks like Bartlesville and maybe Tulsa area is most likely to be impacted from a storm coming out of Kansas.

In map dark pink is for the storm watch and orange for heat advisory:

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Here are the links discussed last month on people who were interested in weather station/rain gauges.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/wea...BoC6iYQAvD_BwE

https://ambientweather.com/ws-2902-s...eather-station

https://www.davisinstruments.com/
    Those of you with home weather stations, do you have issues with the measurements being noticeably different than the Mesonet sites?

I realize having your home weather station is hyper-local and most of us aren't close to a Mesonet site, but it seems like my temperatures at home measure anywhere from 3-5° hotter than the closest Mesonet site, which could be anywhere from 10-15 miles away.

But then i look at a sampling of the area around my home from Weather Underground and they all seem somewhat similar to mine. So I'm not sure if comparing to the Mesonet is an apt comparison.

I am guessing that a lot of people with PWS's don't have their thermometers adequately shaded.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I am guessing that a lot of people with PWS's don't have their thermometers adequately shaded.
    Should they be? Or are they OK with being in full sunlight?

Official temperatures are always measured in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Official temperatures are always measured in the shade.
    Yep. This is why when people post photos of their vehicle's ambient temperature, it is not even close to the actual air temp. A vehicle facing the sun parked on a blacktop for 3-4 hours can easily show the temp being 120F+. Obviously if it was actually 120 in OKC, it would be a much bigger story.

Thread Information